Reason 12 announced

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10292 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:40 am

EnochLight wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:04 pm
That pretty much describes me to the letter, which is why I prefer to work in Reason DAW proper. And no - we’re not alone.
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 am
Surely in this boat too ^^^.
Me as well. RRP seems like a foreign concept and always feels awkward, not least because of the splash screen... But it's clear to me it's due to the fact that I've been using Rack in Reason DAW first and this is - for me - its natural environment.

I wonder if new people, who never used Reason DAW, and try RRP think of it like I would of Kontakt, Komplete, or of one of the modular environments? That is surely RS's goal, right? And if they are, doesn't it depreciate the experience? I mean Reason DAW has been unique in the DAW world in many respects, RRP would then be just another plugin. On the other hand people usually have hundreds of plugins and just a handful of DAWs (or one, if it doesn't excite them ;) ) so perhaps it's the correct direction to pursue for RS?

BTW, it pisses me off I need to now write "Reason DAW" because RS themselves talk about using Reason when referring to RRP and increasingly people - especially on ReasonTalk - do that too. When the distinction is lost, RS gets a clear path to discontinue the product... :(
FOR SALE: Reason 12 Standard, EUR150





Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
3359 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am

^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRAF
21271 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:41 am

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:11 am
However, I needed so much Reason stuff that I ended up with the most complex patch I ever made, and all had to be controlled with players inside that patch because I didn´t have the usual Reason tracks. A clusterfck of unseen dimensions in my patch making story.
Yes, that'S basically my point (or at least a big part of it) - you can get lost really deep in there and then at some point you need to close it and get back to your original layer of work in your DAW itself...

Each DAW has its own routine for acessing and handling plugins... which of these you like (and which not) is a matter of preference. Personally I certainly like the one in Studio One - it makes most things quite easy.

And Reason's Rack is a bit less immediate in some ways, but more immediate in others. The hardware-imitating paradigm is both a blessing and a curse, depending on what you want to do. But that is Reason. It is an integral part of how Reason functions and over the years they very smartly have been inventing ways to make it more accessible, flexible and user-friendly without altering its basic principle. And once you get used to it it all makes perfect sense.

But cutting out the Rack won't actually really give you that part of Reason - because the interaction with the tracks and the mixer is completely missing. Therefor you can't have a similar experience to using Reason DAW when usign it as a plugin in another DAW - not at all.*

You could even go as far as claiming the Reason plugin might tarnish Reason's reputation by giving people a wrong idea of what Reason really is and how it functions. To be able to adequately evaluate this, you need to use the DAW.







*let's just take sidechaining as a simple example - in Reason DAW you just flip to the back of the Rack and pull a cable - in the plugin you're out of luck.

KVRAF
21271 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:49 am

xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am
^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
Yes, exactly - even though I own and use a boot-load of Waves plugins I never use it - why would I? :razz:

KVRAF
21271 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:40 am

I wonder if new people, who never used Reason DAW, and try RRP think of it like I would of Kontakt, Komplete, or of one of the modular environments? That is surely RS's goal, right? And if they are, doesn't it depreciate the experience?
Ah, you beat me to it there - great minds think alike, huh? :lol:

KVRAF
3359 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:25 am

jens wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:49 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am
^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
Yes, exactly - even though I own and use a boot-load of Waves plugins I never use it - why would I? :razz:
able to (re)open multiple plugins(they can be pinned) which results a bit faster workflow
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
2070 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 am

xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:25 am
jens wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:49 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am
^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
Yes, exactly - even though I own and use a boot-load of Waves plugins I never use it - why would I? :razz:
able to (re)open multiple plugins(they can be pinned) which results a bit faster workflow
This is more or less the same as creating an FX chain in your DAW? In Reason and Bitwig I guess you can even be more creative there than you can ever be with StudioRack?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

User avatar
KVRian
803 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:36 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:40 am
I wonder if new people, who never used Reason DAW, and try RRP think of it like I would of Kontakt, Komplete, or of one of the modular environments? That is surely RS's goal, right?
Seemingly, and it beats me why I even had to to try this, because I do not use NI stuff due to the shells: Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol and Reaktor. I like none of them and cannot work this way, never could. However, the reason I had to try was because I made a drum track using Logic's auto drummer. That and a synth tranck were the only tracks in Logic I used, the rest was packed into the Reason patch. So, I screwed the autodrummer in the end - and you know what? I made an even better autodrummer myself in Reason. Man, I don't need this shell-sht. It gets to my nerves too fast. Reason and my add ons are what I need. Clean cut.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

KVRAF
3359 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:42 am

starflakeprj wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:25 am
jens wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:49 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am
^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
Yes, exactly - even though I own and use a boot-load of Waves plugins I never use it - why would I? :razz:
able to (re)open multiple plugins(they can be pinned) which results a bit faster workflow
This is more or less the same as creating an FX chain in your DAW? In Reason and Bitwig I guess you can even be more creative there than you can ever be with StudioRack?
Bitwig is crazy from this point of view, Polarity has created good demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3hyzHZY8c0
the possibilities are unlimited in it, basically needs only a good chord progression as a starting point
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

User avatar
KVRAF
2070 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:49 am

xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:42 am
starflakeprj wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:25 am
jens wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:49 am
xbitz wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:44 am
^^^ StudioRack has very similar concept, also like that one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnukG5BOS0M
and works in Reason too
Yes, exactly - even though I own and use a boot-load of Waves plugins I never use it - why would I? :razz:
able to (re)open multiple plugins(they can be pinned) which results a bit faster workflow
This is more or less the same as creating an FX chain in your DAW? In Reason and Bitwig I guess you can even be more creative there than you can ever be with StudioRack?
Bitwig is crazy from this point of view, Polarity has created good demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3hyzHZY8c0
the possibilities are unlimited in it
Thanks for the video, seems really cool. Similar things can be accomplished within Reason as well, but I will test it more thoroughly in Bitwig too.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

KVRAF
3359 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:47 am

^^^^vs Reason it knows MIDI channels for ex. can separate diff. chord voices and route them to diff. instruments easier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOV6Df76HWk
so can create quite complex nested structures (or song prototypes) inside one track or complex layered timbres etc. (without cabling :D )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRAF
8058 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:07 am

You can certainly can do a lot of what Reason can do in Bitwig (or Live) in the racks....you will of course need about 50 or 60 top class VST instruments and VST fx to get the same type of sounds however, the instruments and most of the fx in Bitwig are basic at best.
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRist
310 posts since 24 Aug, 2014

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 am

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:39 pm
Eclectrophonic wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:04 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:49 am
apoclypse wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:24 am

That screen hurts my brain.
Working with Reason's SSL in the dark hurt my eyes... but to find that the Props didn't bother to apply customisation to the main mixer of the DAW when they introduced themes and haven't for years is bewildering. If Acoustica 'Mixcraft' and many other developers can do it, I see little reason why the Props can't.
Have you tried messaging Reason Studios about Themes Affect the Mixer cause I'm going to.
I did a bit more than that by posting a complete redesign of it to them over the years and I have done again tonight vie a message on their FB page so I'll see if any response is forthcoming regarding that. I'm sure they are well aware of how the SSL Mixer has been left for dead since it's Record 1.0 days.
A complete redesign of the Main Mixer? if you have, could you send it me via pm? this I'd love to see.

That's bold if you have. There are 10 features,I'd like for it:- dB display when moving faders, collapsible subgroups, VCA faders, scroll muting and solo'ing, unlimited sends, labelling the actual sends, re-ordering sends, stereo / mono buttons, bypass all effects buttons for all mix channels.

User avatar
KVRAF
1949 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:52 am

Eclectrophonic wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 am
A complete redesign of the Main Mixer? if you have, could you send it me via pm? this I'd love to see.

That's bold if you have. There are 10 features,I'd like for it:- dB display when moving faders, collapsible subgroups, VCA faders, scroll muting and solo'ing, unlimited sends, labelling the actual sends, re-ordering sends, stereo / mono buttons, bypass all effects buttons for all mix channels.
Here's some of his Reason re-edesign work from 2014:


scotty_scream (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 | Reason 12 | Studio One 4.6 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live & Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KVRist
78 posts since 21 Aug, 2007

Post Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:26 am

EnochLight wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:52 am
Eclectrophonic wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:24 am
A complete redesign of the Main Mixer? if you have, could you send it me via pm? this I'd love to see.

That's bold if you have. There are 10 features,I'd like for it:- dB display when moving faders, collapsible subgroups, VCA faders, scroll muting and solo'ing, unlimited sends, labelling the actual sends, re-ordering sends, stereo / mono buttons, bypass all effects buttons for all mix channels.
Here's some of his Reason re-edesign work from 2014:



scotty_scream (1).jpg
I wish he would make his own DAW instead of making new renders of existing DAWs

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”