Bitwig Studio 4 announced (+beta available)!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You have Live 12?! ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:59 am You have Live 12?! ;-)
You don't?! :D :oops:

Just imagine the backlash if Ableton went into annual updates. All those people who were making spreadsheets to prove how Bitwig is the most expensive DAW ever would melt inside..
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 am

Just imagine the backlash if Ableton went into annual updates. All those people who were making spreadsheets to prove how Bitwig is the most expensive DAW ever would melt inside..
If you go from Live 9 the upgrade path looks pretty cheap as Live didn't have a paid upgrade from 9 for about 6 years! Not as cheap as FL Studio though, and I know how much you love a bit of Fruity Loops :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:23 am
antic604 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:01 am

If you go from Live 9 the upgrade path looks pretty cheap as Live didn't have a paid upgrade from 9 for about 6 years! Not as cheap as FL Studio though, and I know how much you love a bit of Fruity Loops :wink:
I know. But some like to use that exceptional period as a rule and assume 4-5 years between upgrades. But simple math, even disregarding v11, would tell you that if software that's on the market for 20 years is at v10, then the average between upgrades is 2 years.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yeh, every couple of years is about right for major upgrades in my opinion, as long there is plenty of free upgrades along the way. Ableton, Logic, Studio One etc have all been pretty good at this to be honest.

I don't mind the Bitwig model personally, but I still feel it was unnecessary and probably gives them unnecessary bad press through miscommunication and misunderstandings....I have seen posts about Bitwig being subscription on both Live and Reason forums in the last few days and I have just stopped correcting people now, let them think what they want...but I doubt the 'annual plan' attracts new users and I am convinced it puts many off...it's just another example of 'unnecessary' deviance from the normal way of doing things. Still, at least we have normal track monitoring now!

my upgrade plan, this is the last day. i am getting used how bitwig does it.
i won't buy an upgrade plan for 4, it isn't interesting enough for me, right now, and tight budget (i must have, because, o well, i spend a lot... have a lot... it is time for other things, also...).

but perhaps on black friday, when 4 is more mature. or i get lucky, and 4 arrives next week, bitwig support can be grant perhaps 4, when the dates are so close...

3.3.10 already fixed something that i reported, but they couldn't reproduce, i had to fire up bitwig twice, to get rid of unwanted use of the bitwig audio engine, because of the panoramo p1.
don't have do it anymore. it isn't mentioned anywhere. perhaps it was something in the api.

3.3.10 serves my needs. and yes 4 has some attractive features. but enough, and tight budget, after not looking at budget over 1 1/2 year.... i can handle it, but there is a limit, or must be.

for me, i bought bitwig studio 3.2, a year ago, it was very inexpensive, very... so even a sale, comes close to the number...

you can see it both ways, it is some kind of lotery, when to activate an upgrade plan.

or you can buy one, when many new features are implemented, and see it has an update, just like for live or cubase or...

one feature whould be great, more control how, when you use 3 monitors, on which things are displayed....
or more features whould be great... we will wait...

still a great DAW to have, next to Live 11 suite, bought some M4L devices, well... instant gratifacition for a Sound Brut Designer like me.... and it was already a o well..

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:53 am Yeh, every couple of years is about right for major upgrades in my opinion, as long there is plenty of free upgrades along the way. Ableton, Logic, Studio One etc have all been pretty good at this to be honest.
Logic is nothing but free upgrades. :wink:

WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:20 am my upgrade plan, this is the last day. i am getting used how bitwig does it.
i won't buy an upgrade plan for 4, it isn't interesting enough for me, right now, and tight budget (i must have, because, o well, i spend a lot... have a lot... it is time for other things, also...).

but perhaps on black friday, when 4 is more mature. or i get lucky, and 4 arrives next week, bitwig support can be grant perhaps 4, when the dates are so close...

3.3.10 already fixed something that i reported, but they couldn't reproduce, i had to fire up bitwig twice, to get rid of unwanted use of the bitwig audio engine, because of the panoramo p1.
don't have do it anymore. it isn't mentioned anywhere. perhaps it was something in the api.
Alas for you... I guess 4 is still weeks away judging by the bugs.

By November or so it will be 4.1 :)

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:24 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:53 am Yeh, every couple of years is about right for major upgrades in my opinion, as long there is plenty of free upgrades along the way. Ableton, Logic, Studio One etc have all been pretty good at this to be honest.
Logic is nothing but free upgrades. :wink:
Yeh, but you 'have to' use a Apple OS, Nothing against MACS (I just prefer PC's), but not exactly cross platform!

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:27 pm

my guess, just after july 20, when the sale ends...

3.3 i found more exciting then 4, but i could be wrong, because i haven't tried the beta...
not because of polymer, but the wavetable module, with the phase effects (which were already there), a nice playground.

I sort of agree that '4' was the least 'exciting' update (the unified modulation and grid was hard to follow!), but a lot of 'necessary' stuff that would have needed to happen at some point.

Live had already added comping and probability 3 months before this update...maybe they switched things around a bit to keep in line- Imagen if Bitwig already have dozens of new features complete and they are just deciding which ones to roll out every 4 months to keep people interested :hihi:

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:04 pm to keep people interested :hihi:
Cash flow theory. Well justified though.
You gotta do what you gotta do. :D
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

WasteLand wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:26 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:27 pm

my guess, just after july 20, when the sale ends...

3.3 i found more exciting then 4, but i could be wrong, because i haven't tried the beta...
not because of polymer, but the wavetable module, with the phase effects (which were already there), a nice playground.
3.3 was excellent... lots of day to day useful stuff.

I'm pretty pleased with v4 so far. Then again I expect to get an Apple Silicon Mac by the end of this year.

4 is just 'OK' for me, its 3.4. Maybe they also 'big numbered' it as Live had a big '11' launch. I think they should perhaps have put something more interesting to the majority of users like a good MSEG or Convolution Reverb....but it is what it is, I will use the audio comping, but roll on 4.1!
Last edited by SLiC on Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:04 pm Imagen if Bitwig already have dozens of new features complete and they are just deciding which ones to roll out every 4 months to keep people interested :hihi:
If Bitwig had all those features ready, they would release them, not hold them. Duh...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”