Bitwig Studio 4 announced (+beta available)!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pmThere are also Comping and Operator videos on the Whats New in Bitwig 4 page.
Yes, but they're old, i.e. first published when v4 was announced 2 months ago (or whenever it was).
Still useful to learn something about how they work...

Bought a license, downloading version 4 now, and... are they hosting this stuff on an 80's BBS? It's been a consistent 30 kB/s for hours now...

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:35 pm Still useful to learn something about how they work...
Definitely! But my comment was in reply to @MusicFreq "complaint" that there's no new videos coinciding with the final release, to which I said that there were :)

Still it's curious why those 3 new ones with Tauri are not on YT, but only on Vimeo?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dumbledog wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:04 pm Bought a license, downloading version 4 now, and... are they hosting this stuff on an 80's BBS? It's been a consistent 30 kB/s for hours now...
eu one is perfect, https://downloads-eu.bitwig.com/stable/ ... %204.0.dmg

2mins

btw. no video, but https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/bitwig-studio-4 was quite informative one
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

antic604 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:08 pm
Definitely! But my comment was in reply to @MusicFreq "complaint" that there's no new videos coinciding with the final release, to which I said that there were :)
I understand... I was simply adding to it for anyone who hadn't seen the earlier Bitwig videos.

xbitz wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:28 pm eu one is perfect, https://downloads-eu.bitwig.com/stable/ ... %204.0.dmg

2mins
Thanks for the link. The dmg downloaded overnight at its slow and steady pace, but now the 5GB of extended collection is moving just as slow and I don't know how to redirect the download. Oh well, I gotta work my day job right now anyway.

The master of Bitwig presentations meets with Sonicstate to showcase v4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_ZGOE4Phw
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

He gives such pleasant relaxed presentations...

I had high hopes for Bitwig years back but I still can't justify using the DAW at a professional level at all. Strictly for hobbyists.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:38 am I had high hopes for Bitwig years back but I still can't justify using the DAW at a professional level at all. Strictly for hobbyists.
I use Live (not as a hobbyist) and I can achieve the same results in BWS, just a different workflow.
What’s your challenge with it?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 am
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:38 am I had high hopes for Bitwig years back but I still can't justify using the DAW at a professional level at all. Strictly for hobbyists.
I use Live (not as a hobbyist) and I can achieve the same results in BWS, just a different workflow.
I don't have a "challenge" with it. It doesn't have an advanced audio editor same as with Live. It's missing a lot of features in that department that other DAWs have. It's cumbersome to work in especially when it comes to mixing also like with Live. I don't see the appeal in Bitwig nor Live outside from farting around and tinkering. Sure Max in Live and the Modular capabilities in Bitwig are interesting but really just gimmicky. Perhaps if you made heavy electronic music then it would be viable but from my standpoint it's just not. No audio engineer would use either program to mix nor master. Arranging and composing for sure but not serious from start to finish production for me and many others I've spoken with about both programs.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 am I don't have a "challenge" with it. It doesn't have an advanced audio editor same as with Live.
Hmm... I think audio editing is significantly better in Bitwig.
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 amSure Max in Live and the Modular capabilities in Bitwig are interesting but really just gimmicky.
I find Bitwig's Grid to be fantastic for MPE. This makes it one of the most musical and playable instruments available today.
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 amNo audio engineer would use either program to mix nor master. Arranging and composing for sure but not serious from start to finish production for me and many others I've spoken with about both programs.
And yet plenty of professionals do exactly that... Both Live and Bitwig are plenty capable of start to finish production. That depends much more on the skill of the user than the software.

hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 am
I don't have a "challenge" with it. It doesn't have an advanced audio editor same as with Live. It's missing a lot of features in that department that other DAWs have. It's cumbersome to work in especially when it comes to mixing also like with Live. I don't see the appeal in Bitwig nor Live outside from farting around and tinkering. Sure Max in Live and the Modular capabilities in Bitwig are interesting but really just gimmicky. Perhaps if you made heavy electronic music then it would be viable but from my standpoint it's just not. No audio engineer would use either program to mix nor master. Arranging and composing for sure but not serious from start to finish production for me and many others I've spoken with about both programs.
To me you sound like you are listing issues not related to your music making but rather what you picked up here and there for you have no idea what you can do with Live or BW at any level of music production by the simple fact that you would not utter such nonsense in the first place.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

You can of course do professional stuff with Bitwig. You can do pro stuff with Garage Band if you know what you're doing for goodness sakes. It's just the level of comfort provided for some mainstream tasks is a bit off and has remained so despite the addition of many heavy-duty sound creation features. See my previous post for a few of those things.

I personally, for the way I work, find navigating and getting to functions rather inefficient. For me, I absolutely love the look, and there are moments of brilliance all over the place, but also some real moments of WTF sprinkled in.

liquidsound wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:06 am
hoxclab wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:59 am
To me you sound like you are listing issues not related to your music making but rather what you picked up here and there for you have no idea what you can do with Live or BW at any level of music production by the simple fact that you would not utter such nonsense in the first place.
That's quite the blather. I don't have issues related to my music making. I have issues related to the limitations of software such as Bitwig and Live. There is no de-noise/noise reduction. I have used both Ableton Live and Bitwig extensively. They have serious limitations similar to those of their dilettante userbase.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”