Why do most DAW browsers suck?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 am How is that relevant to what you're doing, though? I have never in the 40 years I've been using synths thought "this is a job for a "cinematic synth" because, as far as I'm concerned, every synth I own is capable of doing "cinematic" sounds. Every synth is capable of doing "analogue emulation", even a DX7. Every synth is capable of doing "percussion" and all the rest of it. Seriously, go through the presets in any synth you own and look at all the different categories of sounds they break the presets into. And I don't have so many granular synths that I need to remind myself which ones they are.

What I am much more likely to want to recall is which synth has a particular patch I remember hearing 12 or 18 months ago when I got it, so being able to favourite patches within a synth's own browser is really handy, as is Studio One's ability to favourite a plugin with a particular patch pre-loaded. But tagging your plugins is ridiculous.
This is more about visually filtering what you have to make things easier, but I suspect the OP is busy tagging his sample sets with the construction kit extension I posted about above... to spend any more time complaining about what actually exists... in Studio One :-D but in any case and to answer the OP's question, DAW developers have limited time to dedicate so much attention to one area in the course of year unlike dedicated browser management software developers do that focus entirely on that. If you go to use any 3D software, one of the most important aspects of that is the availability of plugins which the core software doesn't have or doesn't have at a more comprehensive level. In the same way, you can develop applications for DAWs.. but not all DAW's allow that.. which is really a topic all unto it self I think... Studio One is one that does...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

You can visually filter by using sub-folders.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

In Studio One you can mark a plug-in as a favourite, which is much more useful.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I dont really understand 'tags' in this context either. I would literally never use that, but whatever.
FL Studio has a totally modular browser directory structure, which is more the direction I personally need. You can organize any files to show in the browser in any way.
ImageImageImageImage

Maybe the question is wrong. Instead of:
Why do most DAW browsers suck?
the question should be
Why do so many people suck at using their DAW?
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

"What tags would you put on an instrument? "Synth"!?! It seems like it would be a huge waste of time to me."
amazingly enough there are people in the world who aren't you. everybody else, in all probability

if a synth patch evokes, say 'trombone' as opposed to say 'a piccolo flute', or maybe it's a dirty raucous beast that isn't going to be any good for a melody, or a bass line, one would want maybe to see that readily, having named it or found an attribute to tag by.
Me, I used a browser once, very happily, mind, but I give things names I'll get a very good sense of, if there's planning for a future where I wouldn't grok something less descriptive. "Air/shrill" I'm not going to mistake for "warm fat bass". Both may be called "synth". :shrug:
this is so facking obvious, isn't it? sheesh

For samples, I've started using the free ADSR sample browser, it's free and it's phenomenal and auto-analyzes and tags all of your samples to create a database.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”