Any news on the Cubase dongle divorce?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HREQ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 am TBH I'm upset they took dongle protection off Nexus, now all the pirateboys have my exclusive software, I wish they'd keep dongle protection on Cubase atleast, once it's off it's gunna become the most pirated daw then I won't feel special anymore for owning it

totally dude

HREQ wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:22 amTBH I'm upset they took dongle protection off Nexus, now all the pirateboys have my exclusive software, I wish they'd keep dongle protection on Cubase atleast, once it's off it's gunna become the most pirated daw then I won't feel special anymore for owning it
That's /s or nah? Hard to tell these days...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:48 am Cubase's annual update policy is pretty much a yearly subscription model. If you don't update and remain a version behind then support isn't guaranteed.
What do you mean by support? Of course there will be support. What you will not have is updates (sometimes you even have that, although rarely).
Fernando (FMR)

... which could well leave you with a non-functional software, if things go bad.

But then, that's not exclusive to Steinberg. They all do that, more or less.

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm ... which could well leave you with a non-functional software, if things go bad.

It would have to go really bad, isf a program with barealy one year would stop working, all of a sudden. I still have Cubase 8.5 installed (because of 32-bit bridge that no longer exists in later versions) and you know what? It still works, in the latest Windows 10 version, in a brand new i9 10k computer.
Fernando (FMR)

Windows 11 will be released nov-dec. About the same time as Cubase 11.5 will. I bet we will see even more buggs this time. :lol: :D :help: :roll:
And I strongly believe it will be dongle free with 11.5. Not that I care so much about that. I have no problem with the dongle and it has been installed without any hassle since Cubase SL. That's 19 years. That's longer than some of the younger guys hanging here on kvr.

fmr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:47 pm ... which could well leave you with a non-functional software, if things go bad.

It would have to go really bad, isf a program with barealy one year would stop working, all of a sudden. I still have Cubase 8.5 installed (because of 32-bit bridge that no longer exists in later versions) and you know what? It still works, in the latest Windows 10 version, in a brand new i9 10k computer.
Imagine a manufacturer would introduce a new CPU architecture. Oops!

So, following this twisted 'logic' that paying annually = subscription, I must admit that I have also subscribed for bread, eggs, gas and anything that I'm buying more than once in my life.

chk071 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:49 pm
fmr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:01 pm

Oooh, i know the answer to this one, you mean how intel change the socket for their cpu's all the time.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

That won't break your DAW though.

fmr wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:48 am Cubase's annual update policy is pretty much a yearly subscription model. If you don't update and remain a version behind then support isn't guaranteed.
What do you mean by support? Of course there will be support. What you will not have is updates (sometimes you even have that, although rarely).
Yeah, they will reply to your emails but they probably wont bug fix previous versions of Cubase.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

pixel85 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:14 pm So, following this twisted 'logic' that paying annually = subscription, I must admit that I have also subscribed for bread, eggs, gas and anything that I'm buying more than once in my life.
It's capitalism. And software is different from things like bread. When you pay for Cubase you're buying a service, you don't actually own the software just the license to use it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

How exactly does the *choice* to use the M1 - which, AFAICT requires one to spend money - break one's DAW?
Every opp that arises to rerehearse that canard, there's good ol' chk

OMFG, people that aren't your mirror might have the money to buy it. Just imagine it. The horror. The horror.

v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:16 pm
pixel85 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:14 pm So, following this twisted 'logic' that paying annually = subscription, I must admit that I have also subscribed for bread, eggs, gas and anything that I'm buying more than once in my life.
It's capitalism. And software is different from things like bread. When you pay for Cubase you're buying a service, you don't actually own the software just the license to use it.
Yeah, but I may surprise you: I don't have to buy an update and I can still use it. In the case of a subscription, I would have to pay immediately after a new update is released to continue to use it. I don't always update, often I'm waiting for a promo and somehow for over a decade, I had no problem with using Cubase every day. Better: even if I don't update Cubase again, I'll be able to use it for many more years because I'm on PC (so OS/Hardware changes will not affect me anytime soon) :P
Paying for update =/= subscription.

The "subscription" remark was mine, and was silly, I withdraw it.

I said I had just paid my annual "subscription" in a jokey way. No its not a subscription, although the annual update is as regular as clockwork. Its just that if you leave updating for a year or more the price to update to the latest version rises. Whether its cheaper to update yearly I do not know, but if you leave it a few years the update to the latest version can be substantial.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”