REAPER - can I select, thin out, or delete midi notes at random

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am running into midi problems with Reaper - I have a midi clip with lots of notes in it and would like to delete about 75% of those notes at random. Cannot find any method for doing this. Is there one?

[I've spent hours today trying various scripts, installing packages etc etc and if nothing else it reminded me of why I bought S1 and Bitwig lol. But I have been using Reaper to test simple things like plugins after not using it for quite a while. Unfortunately that gets to be slippery slope as a test turns into a larger exercises into a full blown composition and then --- the reasons why I dumped Reaper rear their ugly heads again. Shame I didnt just want to move the cursor one pixel to theleft of the nearest note. That action is so handy]

looks like no-one else can do this either

You should ask this question in Cockos´ own forum: http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:57 pm You should ask this question in Cockos´ own forum: http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
thanks but dont have an account there and I have too many accounts all over the place to want to start a new one. In the end I went back to S1, did the transforms in a couple of minutes and re-imported to Reaper to finish this piece off over the next day or so. It was a mistake to do this in Reaper anyway - I needed to use Melodyne to change audio to midi as well and that implementation is much better in S1 as well.

^^^
IIRC it was previously mentioned that Studio One has the best ARA implementation. So it is good to read that "implementation is much better in S1" than on Reaper. Glad that you brought this up. Let me know if I misunderstood your post.

I wonder if Cubase "logical Editor" can do what you asked. Or Loomer Architect? Or Bidule?
How about selecting every second (or third) midi note and then deleting it or editing as you wish.

Tough gotta say I read somewhere a "Thin out midi notes" but then my memory could be faulty. Even worst cannot recall the program.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:26 pm ^^^
IIRC it was previously mentioned that Studio One has the best ARA implementation. So it is good to read that "implementation is much better in S1" than on Reaper. Glad that you brought this up. Let me know if I misunderstood your post.
way better in S1 - midi is in general much much better in S1. Reaper is good for audio tracks and processing tho, so if just editing audio (with FX) then I would use Reaper. Or if I am trying out a vsti even - Reaper loads quickly and the I run Riffer into the vsti and good to go. But once I am doing complex arrangements and composing with audio and midi then S1 (which has its own weirdnesses) or if more generative with untold modulation then Bitwig.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:31 pm
How about selecting every second (or third) midi note and then deleting it or editing as you wish.
There is a user script that does that but realistically that is a clunky workaround compared to "thin out 96% of notes" I thought I remembered there being a Reaper function that could do it but I cant find it anymore if there was - and to be honest I get sick and tired of searching for workarounds or difficult to find scripts when using Reaper - one of the major reasons I forked out the cash for S1 and Bitwig

FLStudio has a drop down menu in the piano roll that does precisely what you ask ...
it is completely random though ; you have zero control ...

experimental.crow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:45 pm FLStudio has a drop down menu in the piano roll that does precisely what you ask ...
thanks - S1 gives me all I need for this, allows me to set percentage to be deleted

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:52 pm
experimental.crow wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:45 pm FLStudio has a drop down menu in the piano roll that does precisely what you ask ...
thanks - S1 gives me all I need for this, allows me to set percentage to be deleted
nice touch , that ...

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:39 pmway better in S1 - midi is in general much much better in S1.
Errr nah it's still behind in a number of ways. There are no MIDI channels or sysex or 14-bit CC support, no event list view, and mousing around is clunky at best with no real customization options whereas Reaper's mouse modifiers let you go much further. For example, when entering a note, I want the left-right mouse drag to change the position of the event, and up-down mouse drag change the pitch of it. S1 changes velocity on up-down and feels strange and not the most immediately useful (IMO). And no way to change that at all.

That said, scripts are Reaper's greatest superpower, the extendability they offer is off the charts from what any other DAW can do.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:17 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:39 pmway better in S1 - midi is in general much much better in S1.
Errr nah it's still behind in a number of ways. There are no MIDI channels or sysex or 14-bit CC support, no event list view, and mousing around is clunky at best with no real customization options whereas Reaper's mouse modifiers let you go much further. For example, when entering a note, I want the left-right mouse drag to change the position of the event, and up-down mouse drag change the pitch of it. S1 changes velocity on up-down and feels strange and not the most immediately useful (IMO). And no way to change that at all.

That said, scripts are Reaper's greatest superpower, the extendability they offer is off the charts from what any other DAW can do.
not for me - none of that is much use to me other than the Reaper mouse modifiers, which are really good. Up/Down for velocity is strictly what you get used to though, in S1 use ctrl+alt and move the mouse. And S1 does allow midi channels just in a different way to Reaper ie at the receiving end, which is actually more flexible in my experience.
I've user Reaper a lot and for me there is no chance I will go back to Reaper for composition using midi, just simple things like permuting midi notes, thinning notes, modulation (Bitwig kills Reaper and S1 for that) and no doubt more are missing. But if you are making pop/band tyoe songs or commercial classical then Reaper is pretty good.

fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 pmAnd S1 does allow midi channels just in a different way to Reaper ie at the receiving end, which is actually more flexible in my experience.
Not really, no. Especially when dealing with external hardware synths, being able to record and send and edit sysex in Reaper is a blessing...

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:26 am
fairlyclose wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:35 pmAnd S1 does allow midi channels just in a different way to Reaper ie at the receiving end, which is actually more flexible in my experience.
Not really, no. Especially when dealing with external hardware synths, being able to record and send and edit sysex in Reaper is a blessing...
Sure, but that is of no value to me. For others might be perfect and more important than something like generating permutations of midi data. But maybe I am missing something here - what value does sending and editing sysex have within a compositional workflow? Or an event list view? or 14bit CC
Last edited by fairlyclose on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”