Is it safe to buy Logic Pro X today?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
20062 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am

masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.
No way is Logic going to go subscription only... Logic sells lots of computers

KVRAF
1743 posts since 6 Nov, 2006

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 am

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am
masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.
No way is Logic going to go subscription only... Logic sells lots of computers
does it really though? is there a source for this? i'm curious if it's a real driver of sales. it is a huge bargain at $200.. just ridiculous value for the money. i've used logic since V2.x and the current package for $200 is the best deal available for a traditional DAW... all those FX and instruments.

User avatar
KVRAF
2636 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:54 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am
masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.
No way is Logic going to go subscription only... Logic sells lots of computers
does it really though? is there a source for this? i'm curious if it's a real driver of sales. it is a huge bargain at $200.. just ridiculous value for the money. i've used logic since V2.x and the current package for $200 is the best deal available for a traditional DAW... all those FX and instruments.
Just anecdotal I think. The entire reason I’m on mac is because of Logic. I’ve been using it since 4.0 on the windows side. I switched over to keep using it. The only PC in my house is my work computer. Everything else is Mac. I actually do like the macOS in general now, though. It’s grown on me. However, if Logic was no longer my primary DAW I’d strongly consider going windows for future machines when my M1 Mac mini/Logic pro x setup dies.

User avatar
KVRAF
20062 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:11 am

dayjob wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 am
does it really though? is there a source for this? i'm curious if it's a real driver of sales. it is a huge bargain at $200.. just ridiculous value for the money. i've used logic since V2.x and the current package for $200 is the best deal available for a traditional DAW... all those FX and instruments.
Not only is it a huge bargain at $200... but the updates have been great for years for no additional cost. I think it is self evident that people using Logic are gonna keep buying Mac computers.

Now that the iPad Pro has an M1 chip, I expect an iOS version of Logic will come too.

I would say the likelihood of a subscription or new paid version of Logic is very low so anyone looking to buy should just do so.

KVRist
138 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am

The M1 chip is just an updated version of the A-series chip that is in all iOS devices. Logic is not coming to iOS, no idea why people think it is.

KVRAF
2852 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:04 pm

Garageband projects open in Logic anyways, so they really have a win-win situation there, free program to mess around on your mobile device or Mac and when you decide to "get serious", than you can continue all your work in their pro/serious environment, makes sense.

KVRian
738 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:11 pm

dayjob wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am
masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.
No way is Logic going to go subscription only... Logic sells lots of computers
does it really though? is there a source for this? i'm curious if it's a real driver of sales. it is a huge bargain at $200.. just ridiculous value for the money. i've used logic since V2.x and the current package for $200 is the best deal available for a traditional DAW... all those FX and instruments.
I don't think Apple will make it sub only either. It just wouldn't make sense when they already got you for the computer anyway. The $200 that Logic bring is in pocket change for Apple.

It could seriously hurt Logic if they went sub only. But then again Apple has done that before and that didn't stop them so who knows.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

User avatar
KVRAF
20062 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm

Passing Bye wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:04 pm
Garageband projects open in Logic anyways, so they really have a win-win situation there, free program to mess around on your mobile device or Mac and when you decide to "get serious", than you can continue all your work in their pro/serious environment, makes sense.
Except that the latest iPad Pros are quite capable of being a 'serious' music environment.

And an iOS version of Logic would give them the chance to drop legacy code like the Logic Environment etc.

Anyway, this is all just speculation. And my speculation is that there will be an iOS version of Logic within a year.

KVRist
275 posts since 2 Aug, 2013 from USA

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:28 pm

dayjob wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:41 am
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:46 am
masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:27 am

If most certainly would hurt them. I love Logic as my one and only DAW, but if they went subscription only, I would move to something else. I hate subs far more than I love Logic.
No way is Logic going to go subscription only... Logic sells lots of computers
does it really though? is there a source for this? i'm curious if it's a real driver of sales. it is a huge bargain at $200.. just ridiculous value for the money. i've used logic since V2.x and the current package for $200 is the best deal available for a traditional DAW... all those FX and instruments.
In my network of Artists, co-writers and producers it’s 95% Logic and 5% Ableton or Pro Tools. Looking at my sessions in the last two years that’s 80+ people. Predominately MacBook Pro 15-16”. Small sample set.

User avatar
KVRAF
2636 posts since 31 Dec, 2004 from People's Republic of Minnesota

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:30 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm
Passing Bye wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:04 pm
Garageband projects open in Logic anyways, so they really have a win-win situation there, free program to mess around on your mobile device or Mac and when you decide to "get serious", than you can continue all your work in their pro/serious environment, makes sense.
Except that the latest iPad Pros are quite capable of being a 'serious' music environment.

And an iOS version of Logic would give them the chance to drop legacy code like the Logic Environment etc.

Anyway, this is all just speculation. And my speculation is that there will be an iOS version of Logic within a year.
If they drop the environment a lot of people will be out, me included.

KVRAF
2852 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:33 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm
Except that the latest iPad Pros are quite capable of being a 'serious' music environment.

And an iOS version of Logic would give them the chance to drop legacy code like the Logic Environment etc.

Anyway, this is all just speculation. And my speculation is that there will be an iOS version of Logic within a year.
You are absolutely right, those are indeed capable devices and serious work can be done on them, period.

I'm just aligning my thoughts on how Apple might perceive the market, same as with their lineup, there's obvious choices made to steer people in other direction, like, we know M1 might be just the thing for you if you had more RAM and few more slots, bigger screen, but we want you to get our new lineup that is made for pro's in mind, there you can have bigger, faster and more everything, because we know you are more demanding user... but you gonna pay for it.

Same with this, we know you want to have fun and be creative, enjoy... Than when you get more serious about actually finishing and mixing/mastering all that, you will of course feel the need to get on the next level they offer, whole their marketing is about that, look at our pro lineup, feel like a pro, invest in it if you are serious about it, you are the part of the family of professionals around the globe, it's like a cult and status symbol, you get sense of accomplishment and other may perceive you like that because of it, it's Apple and what they do.

So I'm skeptical about that same Apple suddenly being about mixing up their lineups and products, giving consumers pro things, they know bunch of people will use that same mobile devices as sketchpads and controllers in worst case scenario and that won't jeopardize any of the sales of their other devices and products.

KVRist
47 posts since 15 Jun, 2018

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:50 am

My bet would be Logic Pro 11, not just a point update along with the release of Monterey. Look at the version numbers of the competition. Cubase 11, Logic 11, Reason 12. Marketing departments do pay close attention to this.

User avatar
KVRAF
20062 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:55 am

masterhiggins wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:30 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:53 pm
Except that the latest iPad Pros are quite capable of being a 'serious' music environment.

And an iOS version of Logic would give them the chance to drop legacy code like the Logic Environment etc.

Anyway, this is all just speculation. And my speculation is that there will be an iOS version of Logic within a year.
If they drop the environment a lot of people will be out, me included.
I doubt they will drop the environment for Mac Logic Pro anytime soon. But an iOS version gives them the opportunity to do it on iOS and then start to build a more user friendly replacement.

User avatar
KVRAF
10277 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:08 am

lastmessiah wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am
The M1 chip is just an updated version of the A-series chip that is in all iOS devices. Logic is not coming to iOS, no idea why people think it is.
What?! Latest iPad has an M1 chip. They're obviously going into the direction of being able to run the same apps across whole Apple ecosystem. Now perhaps it doesn't make sense to run desk/laptop Logic on an iPhone, but iPad is quite a different story.
FOR SALE: Reason 12 Standard EUR175, Voltage Modular (+lots of modules) EUR150 *click*





Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
138 posts since 23 Aug, 2017

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:27 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:08 am
lastmessiah wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:55 am
The M1 chip is just an updated version of the A-series chip that is in all iOS devices. Logic is not coming to iOS, no idea why people think it is.
What?! Latest iPad has an M1 chip. They're obviously going into the direction of being able to run the same apps across whole Apple ecosystem. Now perhaps it doesn't make sense to run desk/laptop Logic on an iPhone, but iPad is quite a different story.
The M1 chip does not signify anything for iOS other than an incremental increase in power and efficiency. What is remarkable is that Apple brought the “mobile” SoC architecture to their desktops and notebooks. The iPad was already using that architecture from the beginning.

I doubt that Apple will bring Logic to a tablet interface. They already have their best effort at that with GarageBand, which is the same codebase as Logic anyway, just stripped back. Third parties will try to bring desktop-style complexity to their iOS software, but that’s not Apple’s interest.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”