18%
Sometimes the DAW, sometimes the Reason Rack Plugin
34%
Only as Reason Rack Plugin in some other DAW
47%

Total votes: 87

RELATED
PRODUCTS

MuzikFreq wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:35 am made a small section of a track in both using exact same parameter and presets
Reason DAW sat around 20-23% cpu usage and ableton was around 12-15% Bitwig was odd and sat 30-40% and Studio One at 20%
I think I know why Bitwig ran high and that's due to UI rendering being on the CPU... They REALLY NEEEED TO FIX THAT :ud:
Interesting & quite surprising! I guess I'll have to do my own test now :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

you guys realize different daws show cpu usage in different ways right? realistic cpu usage is probably much closer than that

There is just one way to "properly" test the performance (even if this test is more or less nonsense):

How many instances of plugins I can run before getting buffer underruns... all CPU percentages can give a little hint but at the very end they aren´t telling anything meanful

There are options missing from the OP question!

I use Reason as a desktop app, but use ReaRoute to route audio into REAPER which is my main DAW. I just use Reason as my REAPER synth rack. What benefit does this have to using Reason as a VST plugin, you ask?

Well, for one thing you don't have to constantly open and close multiple plugin windows, I just alt-tab to Reason and all my synth/instrument stuff is there, which also lets my brain just be in "synth space" when I'm there. When I switch back to REAPER I render things to audio very quickly and my brain goes to "arrangement space", for which REAPER is a crazy good tool. The workflow is less mixed up like this IMO.

Liero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 am There are options missing from the OP question!
No, there are not. Considering the purpose of this poll, you're using Reason for its Rack only, just not via Reason Rack Plugin, but via ReaRoute :)
Music tech enthusiast

Will we see more RRP users subscribing monthly. Is that a thing yet?

I use it as a plugin these days and before it was a plugin, Rewire.

As a side note, I've installed Reason+ yesterday and almost fell of my chair when one the the 1st question Companion asked of me was "where you're planning to use Reason" followed by list of popular DAWs...

Not "...Rack"!
Not even "...Reason Rack Plugin"!
Just "...Reason"!!!

If there's anything that makes me doubt the future of Reason DAW, it's when they pull off shit like this :( :tantrum:

Sure, the 1st on the list was ...Reason, so I chose that I'll use Reason in Reason I guess? :shrug:
Music tech enthusiast

zolt wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:06 pm Will we see more RRP users subscribing monthly. Is that a thing yet?
Not necessarily. I think the novelty of Reason Rack Plugin as a Kontakt/Reaktor/VCV type of thing will wear off quickly. Lots of people got v11 just to access their long unused Reason devices & 3rd party REs or to be finally able to move to other DAWs and take their toys with them. And some will upgrade to v12 to have the high-res & scaling features.

But I don't see a lot of people actively subscribing to R+ to use the Rack in other DAWs, unless there's constant stream of new devices and - for a lot of us this is the crucial point! - unless the DAW is being developed.

I debated this for quite some time, but I sold my v11 license and started the 3 months / $3 sub to see what it's like, but my plan is to rather sub it for a 1-2 months couple times a year to make a project in Reason DAW (I don't really plan on using Rack elsewhere) and then pause between that, to work in Bitwig, Live or whatever.

^^^ that's probably the most they can count on (from me, at least), unless they turn around the ship on the DAW and really push it forward.
Music tech enthusiast

i dont. not even as rack. i simply can not read shit on my approx. half a meter in front of me positioned screens.

well, to be exact, i open reason, update it, close it and sigh. thats how i use it.

I use Reason to open (at this point) almost two decades old projects. I don't ever use it for anything else. I haven't done anything new in Reason since 2007. I play around with the new stuff but I mostly keep upgrading it for legacy purposes.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Liero wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 am There are options missing from the OP question!

I use Reason as a desktop app, but use ReaRoute to route audio into REAPER which is my main DAW. I just use Reason as my REAPER synth rack. What benefit does this have to using Reason as a VST plugin, you ask?

Well, for one thing you don't have to constantly open and close multiple plugin windows, I just alt-tab to Reason and all my synth/instrument stuff is there, which also lets my brain just be in "synth space" when I'm there. When I switch back to REAPER I render things to audio very quickly and my brain goes to "arrangement space", for which REAPER is a crazy good tool. The workflow is less mixed up like this IMO.
That's why rewire was so good .
I never used reason's sequencer , all sequencing was done in renoise ,automation also ( reasons instruments accepts midi cc's ) , every instrument piped into it's own mixer in renoise .
As you said , reason was a synth rack
Can't believe they ditched rewire
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:47 am

That's why rewire was so good .
I never used reason's sequencer , all sequencing was done in renoise ,automation also ( reasons instruments accepts midi cc's ) , every instrument piped into it's own mixer in renoise .
As you said , reason was a synth rack
Can't believe they ditched rewire
Technically they didn't.
I think you can set up a midi device then route the mixer and stream the outputs into individual channels. Though I could be wrong. Just a theory while I'm at work

anttimaatteri wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 pmi dont. not even as rack. i simply can not read shit on my approx. half a meter in front of me positioned screens.

Reason 12 should fix that for you:

Music tech enthusiast

What do you use to sync the sequencers, Ableton sync?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”