Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:48 am Not sure if anyone noticed but RS have added all of their premium Re's to the Rewards Store :-)
.??What is Rewards?
I go to their site, scroll to the bottom, click Rewards, and there are a bunch of REs listed. Clicking on any of them just takes me to the product page.

did not expect this, just wanted to wait until Black Friday to get a nice discount on the upgrade and now this happens:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/reason-new-pricing

festeringheap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 pm
SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:48 am Not sure if anyone noticed but RS have added all of their premium Re's to the Rewards Store :-)
.??What is Rewards?
I go to their site, scroll to the bottom, click Rewards, and there are a bunch of REs listed. Clicking on any of them just takes me to the product page.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/rewards
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

kinkajou wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:01 pm did not expect this, just wanted to wait until Black Friday to get a nice discount on the upgrade and now this happens:

well...thx for nothing then, i guess.

they should merge with native instruments hahaha

kinkajou wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:01 pm did not expect this, just wanted to wait until Black Friday to get a nice discount on the upgrade and now this happens:

I actually expected the opposite! But who knows? Maybe it will lead to a better product! However, I got the feeling that they don't have a steady policy!

SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm
festeringheap wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:56 pm
.??What is Rewards?
https://www.reasonstudios.com/rewards
I see.

Sounds like with Reward changes and their new pricing structure with the 129 price only available until Oct 1 , that Reason Studios is desperate for a whack of near term cash for some reason.

That 129 to 199 upgrade price increase within two weeks must be a real kick in the teeth to all potential upgraders who were hearing of a really buggy Reason 12, and waiting for some stabilty and delivery of promises from the roadmap before purchasing.
Wow!

anttimaatteri wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm well...thx for nothing then, i guess.

they should merge with native instruments hahaha
I mean, it's literally their first price increase for Reason upgrades since Reason began 20+ years ago, so it really should be no surprise IMHO. At least they're giving people a heads up notice instead of just doing it one night while everyone's sleeping! :lol:
EnGee wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:14 pm I actually expected the opposite! But who knows? Maybe it will lead to a better product! However, I got the feeling that they don't have a steady policy!
I'm looking forward to seeing how the timeline pans out over the next 4-5 months, for sure. If they're seriously reading here, Reasontalk, Facebook, etc for guidance on the next big feature to come in 2022, it should be... interesting. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

what the hell! so, you are forced, to buy it now, if you want it a year later? because if the price, for me goes up to €199, and a sale will never be higher then 50%, o well, then it still the same....
i never saw a 50% sale of reason, only 40% or was there one? i had a 30% one, i think.... for 11 suite, upgrade.

EDIT: of course i do the jrrshop route, with FORUM, that still makes it cheaper.

so buy now? or wait, but what would be the sale price???
Last edited by WasteLand on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess that means it will be 129 on Black Friday - bargain :)

I would not be surprised if in the next 18 months or so (wild guess) the full price and all upgrades to a new Reason will vanish and there will be the only option to subscribe to Reason+... and - of course - immediately followed by a rise to 24,90 per month / 249,- EUR per year. :clown: :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:38 pm I guess that means it will be 129 on Black Friday - bargain :)
if it is 129 on black friday, or mostly Reason is later...

considering, i don't no what the last sale was, it was cheaper, but in the end, for me it was only some euros different (because of the discount jrrshop gives).

but i don't know the percentages of the sales of reason, by heart...

EDIT: and my post count here, reaches almost 2000, which they say, from that time, no price increase.

EDIT 2: if i assume 30%, it will be $139/€149...

kinkajou wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:40 pm I would not be surprised if in the next 18 months or so (wild guess) the full price and all upgrades to a new Reason will vanish and there will be the only option to subscribe to Reason+...
I would be surprised, so much so that I am willing to wager that 18 months from now on Wednesday March 15, 2023, you will still be able to purchase a perpetual Reason license from Reason Studios, just like always. :tu:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Well, that's pretty f***ed up!

Increasing the price might make sense in terms of physical product where commodity prices went up considerably (and employee costs, too), but here we're talking about existing code base that can be copied at infinitum for free to sell to new users. It's not our fault that after years of neglecting it, suddenly they had to add VST support, optimise audio engine, update and port the GUI to GPU, separate out the plugin. Had they invested along the way in Reason and the RE ecosystem for all those years, they wouldn't have to do those things, and definitely not in such a short period of time... Instead perhaps they should've make it cheaper by separating DAW and Plugin - I don't need the latter, many don't need the former, fewer and fewer people want both I think.

Still, I'm cautiously optimistic but that's not a great sign :(
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

EnochLight wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:53 pm
kinkajou wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:40 pm I would not be surprised if in the next 18 months or so (wild guess) the full price and all upgrades to a new Reason will vanish and there will be the only option to subscribe to Reason+...
I would be surprised, so much so that I am willing to wager that 18 months from now on Wednesday March 15, 2023, you will still be able to purchase a perpetual Reason license from Reason Studios, just like always. :tu:
Of course it'll still be an option. It's still a source of revenue from all those who refuse to subscribe.
Whether anyone upgrades anymore is another story.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”