Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm Still haven't found out how to undock stuff then? :razz:
Why would he assuming he's using single screen? The problem is you can't align the panels vertically, which results in it looking ridiculously - and wasteful - most of the time.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 pm
jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm Still haven't found out how to undock stuff then? :razz:
Why would he assuming he's using single screen? The problem is you can't align the panels vertically, which results in it looking ridiculously - and wasteful - most of the time.
Huh? He was complaining a while ago that he couldn't maximize the MIDI editor. TBH I have no real idea what you refer to when you talk about aligning the panels vertically as that would still be the same waste of screen estate, no? I was of course talking about undocking them to switch between their maximized state - especially on smaller single monitors screen estate is everything. Are there really people keeping them always docked on purpose? :shock:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:30 pm...I was of course talking about undocking them to switch between their maximized state - especially on smaller single monitors screen estate is everything. Are there really people keeping them always docked on purpose? :shock:
I do, and I'm on 15'' laptop. Using F5-7 to quickly switch between areas is much more organised than having separate windows, IMO.

Regarding the earlier point, I meant this:

This is how Reason looks now with 3 areas open:

This is how it would look like if RS allowed to align ares vertically:

Last edited by antic604 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

In all these cases you do not make full use of the available screen estate for whatever you do at any given moment. If you are mixing, you are wasting screen space. If you are editing, you are wasting screen space. If you are arranging, you are wasting screen space. If you are working with the Rack, you are wasting screen-space. (And if you are using seperate windows you can of course stil use F5-F7 and the dedicated view-buttons PLUS alt+tab (and tab is a standard key in Reason already anyway) (and of course Win+tab as well) (and of course these shortcuts are standard on Windows so if that's your OS you should be totally used to them anyway).

But hey: whatever floats your boat. It wasn't me who was asking "Why would he" in regards to a best practice after all - and as I said: he was explicitly complaining about the lack of a maximized editor weeks ago.
Last edited by jens on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

:o :o :lol:

I’m not sure why anyone is talking about docking or alignment - the OP’s issue has nothing to do with that. It’s the fact that Reason’s GUI/UX is crashing and the transport bar isn’t even drawn!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Learn

to

read

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:05 pm Learn

to

read
:roll:

Getting through the two of you arguing is like passing a kidney stone.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Oh, btw. Antic: aere you not the leader of the gang of folks who demand folder-tracks?

Undock your rack and mixer and you'll be surprised on how many more tracks you'll suddenly manage to fit on your screen. :razz:

EnochLight wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm
jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:05 pm Learn

to

read
:roll:

Getting through the two of you arguing is like passing a kidney stone.
Yeah, I know - not all of us here have the same capabilities. :shrug:

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm
Smasha wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm Screenshot (2).png
Still haven't found out how to undock stuff then? :razz:
Explain?
When I open Sampletank 4,everything is fine.
As soon as i load an instrument,boom,Reason 12's gui unloads it's indicators and fonts like the screen shot I showed above.

No idea how to undock stuff.

I put Sampletank into another rack but after loading a preset,Reason's GUI went blank again.

A real PITA.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:01 pmBut hey: whatever floats your boat. It wasn't me who was asking "Why would he" in regards to a best practice after all - and as I said: he was explicitly complaining about the lack of a maximized editor weeks ago.
It's not unusual for me to tweak the device, change automation and do some adjustments on the mixer EQ or compressor at "the same" time, that's why I'm lobbying for some changes that would make it easier. You wouldn't have to use that, if you prefer to flick between screens or have 2+ monitors.
Music tech enthusiast

The rack at least deserves its own space. Trying to do anything with all three views on one monitor at the same time seems like the most frustrating DAW experience possible IMO.

Smasha wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:18 pm
I put Sampletank into another rack but after loading a preset,Reason's GUI went blank again.

A real PITA.
I wasn't talking about your bug (which I bet is a pita indeed, but which you best should report to their support). :-)

machine_spirit wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm .Trying to do anything with all three views on one monitor at the same time seems like the most frustrating DAW experience possible IMO.
Yes, I think so too.

jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:16 pm
machine_spirit wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:06 pm .Trying to do anything with all three views on one monitor at the same time seems like the most frustrating DAW experience possible IMO.
Yes, I think so too.
  • Yeah, well. You're entitled to your opinion but that doesn't make it the only right one.
  • I'm not in a position now to have a separate monitor, let alone two of them. So I try to work with what I have.
  • Somehow other DAWs - Bitwig, Live, Studio One - make it possible to comfortably work on single screen, therefore I believe Reason could too with some minor tweaks, like allowing the app to be full screen, reducing the width of separators between the workspaced and allowing to align them vertically.
  • Regarding track folders, it's not as much about having more of them on screen, but rather about keeping them together. In every other DAW when you automate a device - usually an FX - that's after the main instrument in the chain, the automation lanes "belong" to the instrument track. So e.g. a synth followed by 5 FX where each of them has some automation is still a single track and automation can be completely hidden. In Reason this very same setup is 6+ tracks and automation can only be minimised, but is never hidden completely. Not to mention the order of the tracks can get disturbed sometimes and it's easy to lose track of what belongs to what. While I appreciate the logic of such behaviour (device gets a dedicated track when it's being sequenced) I'd love to be able to put all of it into a folder.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”