Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:29 am
jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 amGoing by what you wrote here, you don't, no. (Besides most of now have been using computers for a looooong time - and you can rest assured that this really isn't anything to go by... :lol: )
Sure. I was writing machine code in early 90s by inserting hex numbers directly into computer's RAM, because I couldn't afford a proper assembly language interpreter. Yet I've no idea how Alt+Tab works :dog:

I'm not sure why we're discussing individual preferences anymore, as if you somehow had monolpoly on what's the only correct way? Are you an alt-BONES account by any chance? ;) :D

It's because you wrote:

"I don't find Alt+Tab to be any more efficient than F5-7 (and actually less so), especially if you have other stuff running in the background with their own windows that you now have to scroll through."

which - sorry to say - is patently false.

You can have ten or twenty applications/windows open - alt+single tab will always switch to the previously used one, while alt+ double tab will switch to the one that was in the front before that and hence alt + single/double tab is all you need to seamlessly and directly switch between the sequencer, the Rack and the mixer and it won't bring up any ofethe other applications, unless you recently used it - and even then it is super quick and easy to bring the three Reason windows back to the front.

So if you are really competently using alt+tab, then why did you state something that is false? :?

Besides I am really wondering what "writing machine code in the 90's" has got to do with any of that.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 amIt's because you wrote:

"I don't find Alt+Tab to be any more efficient than F5-7 (and actually less so), especially if you have other stuff running in the background with their own windows that you now have to scroll through."

which - sorry to say - is patently false.
Gosh! I know how Alt+Tab works, but if I have Reason open, some plugin windows open, a sample librarian (e.g. Sononym, Splice) open, VCV Rack open, some user manuals open, etc.; and I switch between them a lot, then RARELY Reason's workspaces are the last three in the queue, so I need to actively pay attention to how many taps I need.

With F5-7 I always know where I'll land with a single tap.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

'kay... :shock:

In that case I would recommend the following though:

if you have pinned Reason to the task-bar, you can bring it to the front by hitting Win + plus a number; the latter will depend on where Reason is pinned. the leftmost pinned app is #1, the second-left # 2 and so forth. If (say) Reason is your left-most pinned app, typing Win+1 will show you a miniature of Reason's opened windows in the lower middle of your screen - if you have both the mixer and the Rack undocked, repeatedly hitting 1 will cycle through them - that way you can easily acess any of Reason's three windows regardless of what window is currently in the foreground.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am 'kay... :shock:

if you have pinned Reason to the task-bar, you can bring it to the front by hitting Win + plus a number; the latter will depend on where Reason is pinned. the leftmost pinned app is #1, the second-left # 2 and so forth. If (say) Reason is your left-most pinned app, typing Win+1 will show you a miniature of Reason's opened windows in the lower middle of your screen - if you have both the mixer and the Rack undocked, repeatedly hitting 1 will cycle through them - that way you can easily acess any of Reason's three windows regardless of what window is currently in the foreground.
...and all of that's easier than F5-7 how?! :lol:

Let's end it right here. @Hink's going to come and close yet another Reason 12 thread if we don't stop :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:01 am
jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am 'kay... :shock:

...and all of that's easier than F5-7 how?! :lol:

Here is what you wrote:

"but if I have Reason open, some plugin windows open, a sample librarian (e.g. Sononym, Splice) open, VCV Rack open, some user manuals open, etc.; and I switch between them a lot"

If you e.g. have currently VCV in the forefront, hitting F5-F7 won't enable you to access any of Reason. These shortcuts only work within Reason. So you need to get back to Reason first in some way, before you will be able to use F5-F7 within it.

And if you last have been working in Reason's sequencer, but now want to work in the Rack, you would first need to somehow bring Reason to the forefront, before you could then hit F6 to access the Rack.

And I just told you a nice, quick, easy and convenient way how you can access any of Reason's three main windows directly, regardless of what other applications are currently in front of it, and all you come up with is "and all of that's easier than F5-7 how?!" ?

Seriously? I am sorry, but I can't make it any easier for you! Either you manage to comprehend this stuff or you don't. :shrug:
Let's end it right here. @Hink's going to come and close yet another Reason 12 thread if we don't stop :)
This is totally on topic.

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 am...So you need to get back to Reason first in some way, before you will be able to use F5-F7 within it.
Sure. That's why Reason is full screen, while all the other things aren't. I then just quickly click outside of whatever other window is on top, while the other hand - at the same time - travels to F5-7 if I know I need to switch to other workspace that's currently not in focus...

That's just what I prefer, after testing other approaches :shrug:

I'm not trying to convince you to work like I do, so I'd appreciate if you returned the favour :pray:
Music tech enthusiast

Again:

We are just having this discussion because of what you wrote here:
antic604 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:50 pm
jens wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:43 pm Still haven't found out how to undock stuff then? :razz:
Why would he assuming he's using single screen?
So you questioned how undocking the Rack and the mixer is any useful for single-screen users.

So I explained to you (and anyone else who may be unsure about this) in detail how it totally makes sense in the light of facts, logic, reason (no pun intended) and convenience. :-D

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:07 amSo I explained to you (and anyone else who may be unsure about this) in detail how it totally makes sense in the light of facts, logic, reason (no pun intended) and convenience. :-D
Ok, so my initial assumption might've been wrong indeed, but that doesn't change the fact that - for me! - using Reason udocked isn't factually, logically and reasonably any more convenient than F5-7, quite the opposite.

Can we agree to disagree, please?
Music tech enthusiast

Yes, absolutely - as I wrote in my original reply (and again later): whatever floats your boat.

(edit - just one last thing (that you brought up earlier): if you want to vertically align windows (such as the sequencer and the undocked Rack, you can hit Win+ left/right arrow)

jens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am(edit - just one last thing (that you brought up earlier): if you want to vertically align windows (such as the sequencer and the undocked Rack, you can hit Win+ left/right arrow)
I'm aware and I actually love that! But it isn't saved with projects or templates, so needs to be re-done every time.
Music tech enthusiast

Yes, true...

so back to 3 screens :D :scared: :help: :party: :borg:

WasteLand wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:17 pm so back to 3 screens :D :scared: :help: :party: :borg:
I've been using dual screens for 20+ years and love it. Reason works great for me with my setup, as I keep the main mixer on 1 screen and the rack/sequencer on the other. Makes mixdown a pleasure!
:party:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:26 pm
WasteLand wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:17 pm so back to 3 screens :D :scared: :help: :party: :borg:
I've been using dual screens for 20+ years and love it. Reason works great for me with my setup, as I keep the main mixer on 1 screen and the rack/sequencer on the other. Makes mixdown a pleasure!
:party:
This is the only way to use it! I have one monitor setup in Windows and two in Mac (using my Air MacBook as second) and find it a very messy workflow in one monitor setup. I wish they didn’t get rid of the ReWire, but maybe using it as a VSTi can solve the problem.

Time to check Reason 12

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”