Cubase Pro 11 How to pan mono track hard left or right There are no pan controls on mono tracks?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
fmr
KVRAF
10543 posts since 16 Mar, 2003 from Porto - Portugal

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:59 am

jens wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am
Yes, I thought that might be the case, which is why I made that post.

One might assume that mono-tracks are the right choice for mono-sources and I wanted to make sure it is understood that this is not actually the case.
Well, it depends, Personally, I don't see the point of recording twice the same sound, just for the sake of having two channels. If at any point I want two channels, I can always go the route the OP followed.
Of course, we can always record with two microphones (which is what I usually do), but then I have TWO mono tracks, that together make the stereo. I don' record them in a single track, always in separate tracks, for a matter of flexibility.
Fernando (FMR)

KVRAF
21344 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:53 am

You can of course simply record a mono source (say guitar, or bass or vocals) to a stereo-track and be done with it, just like - you know - you would do in any other DAW on the planet. Again: what are mono-tracks actually good for? :shrug:

KVRAF
23335 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:51 am

DMG68 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:06 am
jancivil wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:59 am
It is, but certain signals appear as though panned eg., Hard Left, that is when a mono recording is made onto a stereo channel. The pan mode on a mono signal in a stereo channel is not a real panner, it's a balance control (meaning the volume is turned down on the other side). Real, ie., 'power' panning (ie., in respect to pan law), is only a property of stereo channels.
So a straight guitar input, is mono - ie., the tip of the jack defaults to L to a stereo in - and insofar as this the DAW will print 'Hard Left'.
So if it's a new recording, just record the mono guitar input to a mono channel obviating this issue.
If it's a done deal and we're stuck w. a mono signal in a stereo channel w. signal being all on the left, a copy is made to compensate, @ "hard right".
Cubase also allows us to change that with the other stereo panning option. Dual panner or something like that, not at my DAW now. But that allows controlling each side separately, we get a slider eqch for left and right, you can move the left over to the right (or vice versa) with this, not just lower the level of it.
Yes, that's the power panner in Cubase, it's called the Dual Combined panner; it moves the field and/or determines the width of field following our pan law setting. It's to preserve the stereo relationship, just turning down L or R volume distorts the image.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”