Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
1921 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 pm

The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:18 pm

Tronam wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 pm
The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
The M1 is so fast, that it takes more time to fill the buffer with data than to process it :D
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
4233 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:04 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 pm
kmonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:49 pm
I am trying to understand Align Delay plugin. Is that their take and solution on the terrible implementation of MIDI sync with hardware sequencers? I mean where are we supposed to use that new plugin in what situation?
As a sound-design tool:

https://youtu.be/hooe3_TJswk
Thanks! Appreciated.

KVRAF
1744 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:07 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm
jonljacobi wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:56 pm
I finally got to test the M1 version and it uses less CPU playing back. However only 3 to 4% which is a lot less than I was hoping for. Boot time and disk operations seem much quicker, and it’s slightly snappier perhaps graphically but that’s about it.
You mean 3-4% less CPU on the very same machine & same project, right?

Have you tried how Bitwig fares in similar comparison? I don't think I ever saw anyone compare the performance benefit of them doing the native M1 support...
Yes, same machine, Intel build then the M1 build. I do have the Bitwig demo on there, but I haven't compared it to the Intel version. I'll try that next time I'm in the office, which will be relatively soon.

They're definitely quicker, but it's a bit difficult to quantify. So far.

KVRist
204 posts since 6 Jul, 2019

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:06 am

Some recent ARM version VST from Cherryaudio , like PS-20 for instance, actually seem to perform worse in Bitwig 4.04 then the X64 versions, showing spikes in the CPU load. Not sure if this a Bitwig or a Cherryaudio problem. Maybe this due to configuration , still unsure. Curious to see how these will perform in AL. However, if AL will only run native VST in native mode, I will have to keep running it in Rosetta mode, I am afraid. I never used AU plugins in AL. Always use the VST versions.

User avatar
KVRAF
8427 posts since 9 Jan, 2004 from leroyaumeuni

Post Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:50 am

Ableton are galloping away form the competition, if you ask me
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Banned
2 posts since 10 Oct, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 am

when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.

User avatar
KVRAF
1921 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 am

wholetthedogsout wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 am
when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.
Unless Ableton adds a ‘Mixing Mode’ toggle it’ll probably always be at a disadvantage for mixing since Live still uses a real-time audio engine optimized for gapless live performance.

User avatar
KVRAF
3258 posts since 28 Jan, 2011 from MEXICO

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:53 pm

Tronam wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 am
wholetthedogsout wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:52 am
when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.
Unless Ableton adds a ‘Mixing Mode’ toggle it’ll probably always be at a disadvantage for mixing since Live still uses a real-time audio engine optimized for gapless live performance.
Totally true, Ableton is designed for real time applications and the way in handles processing to avoid hiccups is more hungry than any other DAW.
dedication to flying

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:56 am

spaceman wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:50 am
Ableton are galloping away form the competition, if you ask me
What makes you say that? They're not the first to add Apple Silicon support, nor even the best in terms of how it works (e.g. no support for mixed Intel and native VSTs).
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
8236 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:01 am

M1 aside, their rate of updates and improvements has been impressive, It's a heck of a lists from V11....
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10696 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:10 am

SLiC wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:01 am
M1 aside, their rate of updates and improvements has been impressive, It's a heck of a lists from V11....
I get that, but this is a thread about v11.1 which - objectively - was all about the M1 compatibility. The 2 new effects and improved clip editor tabs aren't really that exciting to say that Live is "galloping away".

Also, I'm not disagreeing. Just curious what in particular prompted that statement :)
Stuff for sale @ Knobcloud: 1 year of Reason+, iZotope Music Prod. Suite 3, Cubase Pro 11



Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
365 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:24 am

I'm not sure if performance has improved at all for me, but I was running with a very low buffer for a while. Certainly Fabfilter stuff seems to be eating more CPU than it did before. I might have to do a more solid comparison but was wondering if anyone else is getting this.

KVRer
22 posts since 1 Jan, 2021

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:44 am


KVRAF
1744 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Tronam wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 pm
The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
Just tried this. The lower the buffer size, the worse the performance. As per normal.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”