Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:

Tronam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 amThe only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
The M1 is so fast, that it takes more time to fill the buffer with data than to process it :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:52 am
kmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:49 amI am trying to understand Align Delay plugin. Is that their take and solution on the terrible implementation of MIDI sync with hardware sequencers? I mean where are we supposed to use that new plugin in what situation?
As a sound-design tool:

https://youtu.be/hooe3_TJswk
Thanks! Appreciated.

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:54 am
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:56 pm I finally got to test the M1 version and it uses less CPU playing back. However only 3 to 4% which is a lot less than I was hoping for. Boot time and disk operations seem much quicker, and it’s slightly snappier perhaps graphically but that’s about it.
You mean 3-4% less CPU on the very same machine & same project, right?

Have you tried how Bitwig fares in similar comparison? I don't think I ever saw anyone compare the performance benefit of them doing the native M1 support...
Yes, same machine, Intel build then the M1 build. I do have the Bitwig demo on there, but I haven't compared it to the Intel version. I'll try that next time I'm in the office, which will be relatively soon.

They're definitely quicker, but it's a bit difficult to quantify. So far.

Some recent ARM version VST from Cherryaudio , like PS-20 for instance, actually seem to perform worse in Bitwig 4.04 then the X64 versions, showing spikes in the CPU load. Not sure if this a Bitwig or a Cherryaudio problem. Maybe this due to configuration , still unsure. Curious to see how these will perform in AL. However, if AL will only run native VST in native mode, I will have to keep running it in Rosetta mode, I am afraid. I never used AU plugins in AL. Always use the VST versions.

Ableton are galloping away form the competition, if you ask me
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.

wholetthedogsout wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.
Unless Ableton adds a ‘Mixing Mode’ toggle it’ll probably always be at a disadvantage for mixing since Live still uses a real-time audio engine optimized for gapless live performance.

Tronam wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:04 pm
wholetthedogsout wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm when can we assume the cpu spikes to be gone? I prefer Ableton as a production DAW, but it's nowhere near Reaper in performance when talking mixing.
Unless Ableton adds a ‘Mixing Mode’ toggle it’ll probably always be at a disadvantage for mixing since Live still uses a real-time audio engine optimized for gapless live performance.
Totally true, Ableton is designed for real time applications and the way in handles processing to avoid hiccups is more hungry than any other DAW.
dedication to flying

spaceman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:50 amAbleton are galloping away form the competition, if you ask me
What makes you say that? They're not the first to add Apple Silicon support, nor even the best in terms of how it works (e.g. no support for mixed Intel and native VSTs).
Music tech enthusiast

M1 aside, their rate of updates and improvements has been impressive, It's a heck of a lists from V11....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm M1 aside, their rate of updates and improvements has been impressive, It's a heck of a lists from V11....
I get that, but this is a thread about v11.1 which - objectively - was all about the M1 compatibility. The 2 new effects and improved clip editor tabs aren't really that exciting to say that Live is "galloping away".

Also, I'm not disagreeing. Just curious what in particular prompted that statement :)
Music tech enthusiast

I'm not sure if performance has improved at all for me, but I was running with a very low buffer for a while. Certainly Fabfilter stuff seems to be eating more CPU than it did before. I might have to do a more solid comparison but was wondering if anyone else is getting this.

Tronam wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:15 am The only peculiar thing I've noticed so far on M1 is that CPU usage relative to buffer size seems backward to how it's always been in the past. The lower I set it, the lower the CPU usage, all the way down to 32 samples. :nutter:
Just tried this. The lower the buffer size, the worse the performance. As per normal.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”