Cubase 12 released

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It won't be like soft eLicenser. It will be online authorization.

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:11 pm It won't be like soft eLicenser. It will be online authorization.
Well, let's see what they come up with.
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:11 pm It won't be like soft eLicenser. It will be online authorization.
Is this a guess or you saw this somewhere?

I beta test for SB.
I actually don't know what it will be or when it will be, and for sure if I did I couldn't and wouldn't say (NDA).

But what I can say is SB is aware that at least for some of their users have machines that contractually can never go online. Especially Nuendo customers.

So if indeed there is online authorization, I doubt it will be the only option.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:42 pm
Is this a guess or you saw this somewhere?
They hinted to it in a topic on the Steinberg forums. Don't ask me to dig it out, it has been months since I read it. They also said that they plan to do an offline authorization, in a way similar other companies do, to carry a key over from a computer which is online, to the computer which is offline. Which also tells me that the main authorization method will be online authorization.

That shouldn't mean that you always have to be online, nor should it mean that anything is set in stone, and couldn't be changed, but, frankly, what else than an online authorization system should it be? It won't be a simple serial, and it won't be dongle based.

True..
We shall see.
rsp
sound sculptist

Does Steinberg add any new sound content in their X.5 updates?

EDIT: To answer my own question, it does not seem so. Only major versions add new sound content.

When the dongle goes I hope it doesn't move to something similar to the ilok or codemeter soft licenser. But I got a feeling it will. They might be working on the soft elicenser to replace the dongle.

tbh after recent events I am more inclined to want to keep the dongle.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I'm happy with the dongle, always was. Actually I'm very suspicious about new authorization - the last thing I want is it to be locked to a specific computer, or even 2. Having to rely on net connectivity is potentially a huge problem for me living where I do (if it needs any kind of decent bandwidth then I'm f**ked). Serial is OK, but I know they won't do that. iLok of whatever form I'm going to avoid like the plague, always will. TBH I suspect getting rid of the dongle is about to make Cubase very much less attractive to me. Sounds like they're hopefully going to keep it along with the new system, so I'll be happy if they do.

kritikon wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:33 am I'm happy with the dongle, always was.
A lot of people are, including me - never had an issue. But we've all read of lots of people who weren't, for various reasons. And it has definitely been a big barrier to entry for newcomers to Steinberg product.

I am looking forward to the new system (maybe it will be iLok style.?), as it promises to bring 'better flexibility' of running Cubase. Though no-one knows exactly what that means yet. But a big increase in ease of use and convenience (studio PC and Laptop simultaneously) must be high priority complaints to fix.

Also be aware. I'm guessing a little but from what I've read, the new system will mean you can keep working exactly as you are now, BUT moving forward you won't be able to update the dongle with any new products/licenses. You're stuck there if you don't like what the new system offers.

I may be wrong (with all of this) of course. :neutral:
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 am And it has definitely been a big barrier to entry for newcomers to Steinberg product.

I guess that is one of the reasons.
Other than Cubase, you can pretty much demo, purchase, download and start to use any other DAW in minutes.
Also for the past couple of years there were a few serious problems and down time with e licencer activations for purchases and upgrades.
I personally not had a single problem with e licencer or ilok dongles since they were introduced years ago.
Only thing that bugs me with the dongle is single license.
When I feel like it I want to be able to freely use my laptop when at home and do not want to constantly move the dongle between studio and home just in case, and buying a second license just for this is absurd especially when other DAWs offer multiple authorizations.

kritikon wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:33 am I'm happy with the dongle, always was.
I'm surprised that there are people who are "happy" with a blocked USB port on their computer for a copy protection dongle (imagine you have several of them, eLicenser, iLok, Codemeter...), but, hey...

andypryce wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:15 am
thebutler wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 am And it has definitely been a big barrier to entry for newcomers to Steinberg product.

I guess that is one of the reasons....
All very good points :tu:
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

As soon as Steinberg get's rid of the dongle, I will be tempted to buy Cubase Pro. I am a FL Studio user and never used any other DAW. I like Logic Pro X, but it's not possible to use it ever as I use Windows. I could consider Studio One, but it just looks way to busy and doesn't look like I will enjoy working with it (did demo it once). Reaper and Ableton are not even in the consideration. So yeah, Cubase is likely the only DAW I will fancy buying. Just looks beautiful to me and seems to have great and useful features.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am As soon as Steinberg get's rid of the dongle, I will be tempted to buy Cubase Pro. I am a FL Studio user and never used any other DAW. I like Logic Pro X, but it's not possible to use it ever as I use Windows. I could consider Studio One, but it just looks way to busy and doesn't look like I will enjoy working with it (did demo it once). Reaper and Ableton are not even in the consideration. So yeah, Cubase is likely the only DAW I will fancy buying. Just looks beautiful to me and seems to have great and useful features.
You are itching for Cubase! :hihi: My advice is to go straight to Cubase Pro! It has all the tools/effects and it is amazing really!

Anyway, IMO, the best way to purchase Cubase Pro is either to find it the 2nd hand market here with seller lives in your region, so when he/she posts the dongle, it will be cheaper and faster to arrive.

The second way is the way I did! I couldn't find in 2nd hand market in my region (that is NZ and AUS), so what I did is buying the dongle locally (from a dealer here) and then upgraded my license to Artist (from Elements) from Steinberg shop when it had 40% discount. After about few months, there were also a discount (but I don't remember if it was Steinberg or Thomann), so I just bought the upgrade to Pro and downloaded it (because I already have the dongle).

Don't restrict yourself waiting for a dongleless version! The dongle is ok really and you can plug it to a usb hub or USB device sharing hub and use it with more than one computer! (but not the same time of course!).

The only problem with Cubase is some cpu hikes for some systems that have nVidia drivers and run OneDrive in the background. Shrink the nVidia driver installation to just the driver and disable any non necessary service in the background, would make Cubase happy! This is in Windows! In my M1 Air, I don't have a problem with Cpu hikes, but I'm waiting for the native version :D

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am As soon as Steinberg get's rid of the dongle, I will be tempted to buy Cubase Pro. I am a FL Studio user and never used any other DAW. I like Logic Pro X, but it's not possible to use it ever as I use Windows. I could consider Studio One, but it just looks way to busy and doesn't look like I will enjoy working with it (did demo it once). Reaper and Ableton are not even in the consideration. So yeah, Cubase is likely the only DAW I will fancy buying. Just looks beautiful to me and seems to have great and useful features.
If you use midi alot you will be pleased with Cubase. It is a well known fact that Cubase is the best daw when it comes to midi. Period.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”