pixel85
KVRian
1476 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:45 am

T-CM11 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:23 am
pixel85 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 am
Anyway, your later analogies don't make any sense either. What's the point of having a door lock if everybody else has access to it anyway (pirated software)?
Not a subject for this topic, or this forum, but...
You've heard of digital(-ly controlled) door locks, right? (controlled by an app, controlled by a manufacturer's server)
IOT devices - often without decent security - people gobble it up. They want to live in places that they can't even enter if some server fails somewhere.
Yeah, it's for extremely optimistic people who believe that such things as internet access, servers, software and hardware can't fail :)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

pixel85
KVRian
1476 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:05 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:22 am
pixel85 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:59 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:40 am
FapFilter wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:35 am
Yes, that's my big complaint with this stuff too, that those who actually pay for their stuff are getting punished
If it's done properly, you won't even notice the copy protection.

Besides, do you also feel punished by door locks, car locks, speed limits, or signs which tell you that you're entering private property? I don't get the thinking, TBH.
None of this has anything to do with software. Why do you need to look for excuses for those companies? I don't get your thinking.
Anyway, your later analogies don't make any sense either. What's the point of having a door lock if everybody else has access to it anyway (pirated software)?
You're just drawing the wrong conclusions. You can get into any house as well, it's simply a lot of effort, and it's probably very risky, so, it's a question whether it's worth the effort.

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be long until this thread is locked if we go on discussing this.
Yes. The difference is, in analogy to software, everyone has the same key/login/password/whatever you're using to secure your house/property. No need to break into a house or act suspiciously in front of the doors. Everyone has the key, everyone can open doors to your house right away when you're not there.

Also, another analogy: you have the only key in your family and nobody else can have it (wife, kids) because you suspect them that they will clone it and give it to everyone. This is how a lot of software protection systems works. You can use just 1 PC at a time, not even use the software on another OS profile even if it's yours and other stupid limitations.

Tbh at this point, after many years of being threatened like a potential theft, I feel tired of it. If I could, I would stay just with a DAW (necessity) and hardware instruments. But I have to use a lot of sample libraries and plugins at work that would cost me millions in hardware form (not to mention the flexibility of eg. orchestral libraries in Kontakt or Play). So I'm tied to this sh**** anti-consumer protection systems. KVR is the place where I can complain about it ;)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

Scotty
KVRAF
2394 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:35 am

pixel85 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:05 am
KVR is the place where I can complain about it ;)
You've got a valid point and it is people like you who raise the concerns who are going to make things better.

When the time comes to build another machine or add a laptop to the setup it gets painfully obvious that some companies are worse than others as far as customer experience goes. We tend not to notice the day to day inconveniences as it is gradual. Give 7 years on a system and start from scratch on a new computer or add a laptop to the studio and the degree of inconvenience becomes obvious.

It might be good for us to point to a couple of companies that make use of the software we've licensed easier whilst still managing to protect our mutual interests. Some do it better than others. Have a good vent . I am right behind you and you are most assuredly not alone.

dellboy
KVRAF
1842 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:02 am

If that counts for anything (it doesn't), I'm NOT selling my copy of C11 precisely because I'm waiting for dongle-free authorisation. That would make me use 10x more.
Why ?

That makes no sense. Why would Cubase losing a dongle make you use it more than before? Nothing will have changed with the DAW. You have criticized it many times in the past for being clunky and cluttered, and it still will be.

Lets say for arguments sake that your favorite DAW, Bitwig, announced that they were going the hardware dongle route, would that make you use it less?

Tronam
KVRAF
1926 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 am

My usage will go up once the dongle is gone because I’ll finally be able to seamlessly move back and forth between my desktop and laptop, which doesn’t have USB-A ports.

antic604
KVRAF
11129 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:17 am

dellboy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:48 am
Why ?

That makes no sense. Why would Cubase losing a dongle make you use it more than before? Nothing will have changed with the DAW. You have criticized it many times in the past for being clunky and cluttered, and it still will be.

Lets say for arguments sake that your favorite DAW, Bitwig, announced that they were going the hardware dongle route, would that make you use it less?
I explained that elsewhere already, but I don't have a studio or even a fixed place in home for my "music" laptop - all music equipment (midi controllers, headphones, audio interface, etc.) are tucked away in a cupboard. Fishing for a dongle is the last thing I need when I find time for music. So yes, I will use Cubase more when it doesn't require the dongle, likewise I would use Bitwig less if it did.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

chk071
KVRAF
30589 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:20 am

Tronam wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 am
My usage will go up once the dongle is gone because I’ll finally be able to seamlessly move back and forth between my desktop and laptop, which doesn’t have USB-A ports.
Yay!
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

ozinga
KVRist
313 posts since 12 Oct, 2003

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:44 am

How about some expectations for a change? :lol:

I am hoping for range and stretch tool for Key Editor
Improvements to Sampler Track (Saving it with embedded samples to any location)
Inspector Improvements
Not hopeful but better preset organization, inspector, PLE and LE, Note Expressions
Pinch Zoom for Trackpads
and general workflow improvements and bug fixes.

Hope there are no new plugins or sound content.

Razordog
Banned
3 posts since 10 Oct, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Surely they would allow more than one authorisation? Studio one does 4 or 5 machines. At the moment I have really don't like having to move my ilok and an elicencer to my laptop as it sort of defeats the flow let alone the safety aspect to the keys. So I end up creating on another program and then have to transfer to the main studio set up.

chk071
KVRAF
30589 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Razordog wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:29 pm
Surely they would allow more than one authorisation?
IIRC, then one of the Steinberg reps/devs said that there will be multiple authorizations. Think he only said 2 or 3 though (which would be enough for me).
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Razordog
Banned
3 posts since 10 Oct, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:41 pm

That would be fine for me too, thanks.

LoveEnigma18
KVRAF
4526 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Tronam wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:11 am
And people like me will be able to buy and experiment with Cubase Artist/Pro without having to worry about paying for the dongle, which comes to at least 40 EUR (equivalent of my local currency, no joke) if you buy new locally or get it shipped from elsewhere. It's a one time payment, but still. I am not against dongle from copy protection point of view, but when everything is in the box, dongle seems to be a hindrance. It just becomes a criteria of selection when you are trying to buy something.

As long as they provide at least 2 authorizations with the new system I think most people will be happy and satisfied.

fese
KVRAF
1847 posts since 14 Sep, 2004 from $HOME

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:17 pm

ozinga wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:44 am
How about some expectations for a change? :lol:

I am hoping for range and stretch tool for Key Editor
Improvements to Sampler Track (Saving it with embedded samples to any location)
Inspector Improvements
Not hopeful but better preset organization, inspector, PLE and LE, Note Expressions
Pinch Zoom for Trackpads
and general workflow improvements and bug fixes.

Hope there are no new plugins or sound content.
Amen to that! We all have more than enough plugins already.

I’d like a way to temporarily switch to the selection tool when using other tools like comping, drawing etc (via mouse modifier).
Complete rework of the cumbersome macro system, preferably a real scripting language (anything that makes me use the mouse less). Aliases for plugin names (or at least the C5 system for shortening plugin names in the mixer, not the stupid tilde). A better UI designer. An easy way to have a light UI theme. Support for a triplet grid in the audio editors.
And everything necessary so that I can have “My Perfect DAW”™️ :hihi:

EnGee
KVRAF
7632 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:08 pm

Personally, I don't think I need anything to be added to Cubase! What I need is enhancing and improving what's already there.

Even midi editing I'm using it less and less :o These days I like to record what I play but before that I practice little bit. When I open the piano roll, I find it very difficult to quantise notes or change something! The whole piece seems one entity.

What is the most important for me now is stability and workflow. The workflow is amazing in Cubase (for me) but the stability is not perfect.

If 11.5 would bring improvements in stability and workflow, I'm going to update definitely, but not at all otherwise, only if they add something huge! :hihi: But I doubt it!

About the dongle, I'm neutral now. Let's see first how the actual new system works.

dellboy
KVRAF
1842 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:11 am

We should all know what Steiny have decided for there new licencing system by mid Novemeber when they traditionally relase there annual update. Personally, I have been using Studio One more and more and go back to Cubase for things that Studio One does not do so well.

So my feature request is for the two DAWs to merge into one new DAW called "STubase".

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”