Studio One users... You staying or going?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
wuworld
KVRist

Topic Starter

193 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am

Presonus CEO Jim Boitnott from Studio One's FB page-

"For the record… Studio One will be stronger than ever going forward, with more resources than ever, more focus, and more momentum. For those who feel Fender acquired PreSonus to simply dump software or to focus only on guitarists are all mistaken. It’s the opposite. “Great” mergers or acquisitions are about making both companies better, and expanding market opportunities. For those comparing the Gibson and Cakewalk deal to this I understand the gut reaction…. But this is so different on every single level. Also, the reason more info has not been disclosed is because the deal has not been finalized. Stay tuned for more details this week. Studio One and PreSonus customers….buckle up and get ready. 🤘
(For full transparency, I am the CEO of PreSonus)"

"Why do you feel Fender has to provide software expertise? We have software expertise…our team is very good…you’re already using Studio One so we did something right. Perhaps consider Fender is seeing the recording market like the guitar market, an opportunity to support musicians worldwide with great gear… seeing PreSonus and Studio One can get there with just a bit more support and resources. You’re entitled to your opinion and I totally respect that…but I do have a lot of confidence in what I’m saying."

"There are unlimited examples of the opposite. But your concern is warranted…looking forward to proving you wrong."

"I agree...all we can do is prove it. But at least I am sharing my words where others in the past did not. I also ask that you measure our support of legacy hardware products alongside other companies as well, you'll see we are doing very well in comparison to many in our space.. All products, but especially those that connect to computers have their product life cycles greatly dictated by computer operating systems and those changes that occur...in many cases there is unfortunately no going around those changes. It's very frustrating for everyone."

Trensharo
KVRist
176 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:50 am

I only used Studio One as a secondary on my laptop because I don't travel with my Steinberg dongle. This doesn't really affect me much. DP11 Crossgrades were on sale so I replaced with that as the feature set is better for what I do.

I'll probably give Studio One 5 Pro/Notion 6 or my brother, since I had him on Cakewalk by BandLab.

People are negative about these acquisitions due to history with SONAR. Many of those users went to Studio One. It feels like deja vu to them.

User avatar
clangorous
KVRist
318 posts since 13 Nov, 2013 from Charlotte, North Carolina

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:30 pm

I love studio one, hate, hate, hate the idea of subscription so I'll keep purchasing as lo g as its available and reasonable. I also hate it when I'm forced to upgrade...stability is number one, over features and functions. For that reason, since windows has become bloatware that wont let me configure the way I want, I'll be moving to Linux. For studio one to be my forever DAW, I need Linux version at some point.

Trensharo
KVRist
176 posts since 29 Dec, 2019

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:11 pm

How is Windows bloatware when Microsoft has been removing legacy components and literally giving back storage to users since Windows 8?

Linux "configurability" is why few commercial co sumer market packages are there. Ask Corel how that went, given they almost went bankrupt and had to get bailed out by Microsoft after banking on Linux.

Companies learned the Linux Lesson back in 1999-2001.

User avatar
jamcat
KVRian
1345 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 pm

wuworld wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am
Presonus CEO Jim Boitnott from Studio One's FB page-

"For the record… Studio One will be stronger than ever going forward, with more resources than ever, more focus, and more momentum. For those who feel Fender acquired PreSonus to simply dump software or to focus only on guitarists are all mistaken. It’s the opposite. “Great” mergers or acquisitions are about making both companies better, and expanding market opportunities. For those comparing the Gibson and Cakewalk deal to this I understand the gut reaction…. But this is so different on every single level. Also, the reason more info has not been disclosed is because the deal has not been finalized. Stay tuned for more details this week. Studio One and PreSonus customers….buckle up and get ready. 🤘
(For full transparency, I am the CEO of PreSonus)"

"Why do you feel Fender has to provide software expertise? We have software expertise…our team is very good…you’re already using Studio One so we did something right. Perhaps consider Fender is seeing the recording market like the guitar market, an opportunity to support musicians worldwide with great gear… seeing PreSonus and Studio One can get there with just a bit more support and resources. You’re entitled to your opinion and I totally respect that…but I do have a lot of confidence in what I’m saying."

"There are unlimited examples of the opposite. But your concern is warranted…looking forward to proving you wrong."

"I agree...all we can do is prove it. But at least I am sharing my words where others in the past did not. I also ask that you measure our support of legacy hardware products alongside other companies as well, you'll see we are doing very well in comparison to many in our space.. All products, but especially those that connect to computers have their product life cycles greatly dictated by computer operating systems and those changes that occur...in many cases there is unfortunately no going around those changes. It's very frustrating for everyone."
This is heartening to read, however, I wonder...

Has anyone asked him to square Fender's acquisition and killing of Riffstation just 2 years later?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

wuworld
KVRist

Topic Starter

193 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:50 pm

jamcat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 pm
wuworld wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 am
Presonus CEO Jim Boitnott from Studio One's FB page-

"For the record… Studio One will be stronger than ever going forward, with more resources than ever, more focus, and more momentum. For those who feel Fender acquired PreSonus to simply dump software or to focus only on guitarists are all mistaken. It’s the opposite. “Great” mergers or acquisitions are about making both companies better, and expanding market opportunities. For those comparing the Gibson and Cakewalk deal to this I understand the gut reaction…. But this is so different on every single level. Also, the reason more info has not been disclosed is because the deal has not been finalized. Stay tuned for more details this week. Studio One and PreSonus customers….buckle up and get ready. 🤘
(For full transparency, I am the CEO of PreSonus)"

"Why do you feel Fender has to provide software expertise? We have software expertise…our team is very good…you’re already using Studio One so we did something right. Perhaps consider Fender is seeing the recording market like the guitar market, an opportunity to support musicians worldwide with great gear… seeing PreSonus and Studio One can get there with just a bit more support and resources. You’re entitled to your opinion and I totally respect that…but I do have a lot of confidence in what I’m saying."

"There are unlimited examples of the opposite. But your concern is warranted…looking forward to proving you wrong."

"I agree...all we can do is prove it. But at least I am sharing my words where others in the past did not. I also ask that you measure our support of legacy hardware products alongside other companies as well, you'll see we are doing very well in comparison to many in our space.. All products, but especially those that connect to computers have their product life cycles greatly dictated by computer operating systems and those changes that occur...in many cases there is unfortunately no going around those changes. It's very frustrating for everyone."
This is heartening to read, however, I wonder...

Has anyone asked him to square Fender's acquisition and killing of Riffstation just 2 years later?
Is Riffstation have the same portfolio as Presonus, and do they have a DAW? Never heard of Riffstation. We have to wait, and see. Personally I've relearning Pro Tools/Logic. I also picked up FL after years of not using it. Studio One users were coming at Jim pretty hard about this acquisition.

User avatar
BONES
GRRRRRRR!
12707 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:54 pm

wuworld wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:30 am
Your gonna care if Fender decides to raise the prices or start making changes that you don't like.
Why? It works now, I paid what I paid for it and I don't care if it never gets updated again so if Fender put upgrade prices up or include thigs that I don't think are worth paying for, I just won't upgrade. Pretty simple, really, same as it was before Fender bought them.

That said, I'm pretty sure Fender bought Presonus for what Presonus can do for them, not for what they think they can do for Presonus, so they'd be stupid to interfere more than absolutely necessary.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, Olga, VG Iron | Uno Pro, Uno, Rocket.

User avatar
stargate
KVRist
30 posts since 6 Aug, 2021

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:47 pm

chk071 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 am
Not sure when users became the authority on software design. Especially the ones who always ask the devs to build in half of Bitwig in any software.
It's entirely driven by the Dunning-Kruger Effect. Unfortunately, companies are all caving under the pressure of "users demanding to be heard", it's only going to continue to turn every DAW into a bloated, incoherent mess.

Studio One will get there soon enough because of this policy for deciding features, but the timing of the acquisition will probably cause people to blame Fender for something that was going to happen anyway.

flori89
KVRist
195 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:56 am

It's O.K if the CEO has a positive outlook on this whole merger, I mean he kind of must have. But often those things start with the best of intentions and future plans but then reality creeps up. I bet the CEOs of other companies felt just the same, that this going to be the best thing ever.

The reality is he doesn't know, everyone involved might have the best intentions, it might still go wrong. We'll just see what happens, as I said, I'll evaluate for each payed update if that's worth my money and if the product goes into the direction I want. If it doesn't, there are plenty of DAWs I can switch to.

User avatar
inkwarp
KVRian
887 posts since 16 Jan, 2012 from UK

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:00 am

Dear me.
Such Pessimism.
I will still use this version because I love it.
I think the development of S1 has been pretty good, still developing. I don't sense any desperation about it. I think it's gained a lot of users, particularly Cubase peeps who are tired of bloat and clutter. At the end of the day, the people who make the business decisions are usually not musicians themselves. Apart from S1 ( and FL Studio 20) most of the competitor's updates didn't add up to much. Samplitude was pitiable.

ls1xxx
KVRist
345 posts since 26 Sep, 2009

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am

This here is going to be the same scenario like when Gibson bought Opcode i'm afraid. :(

ozinga
KVRist
313 posts since 12 Oct, 2003

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 am

ls1xxx wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am
This here is going to be the same scenario like when Gibson bought Opcode i'm afraid. :(
Well, Apple bought E-magic and Yamaha Steinberg, and both Cubase and Logic going pretty well. So you never know

Trancit
KVRAF
3270 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 am

ozinga wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 am
Well, Apple bought E-magic ...
Don´t remind me of the blackest day the audio world has ever seen... :evil:
Follow me on YouTube: FL Studio Tricks
Become a patron: M.o.R FL Studio Tricks

flori89
KVRist
195 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:50 am

ozinga wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 am
ls1xxx wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am
This here is going to be the same scenario like when Gibson bought Opcode i'm afraid. :(
Well, Apple bought E-magic and Yamaha Steinberg, and both Cubase and Logic going pretty well. So you never know
You might not want to bring up Logic in that context. People mit get PTSD from that. Just joking, but what happened to Logic is pretty much the sum of all fears that Studio One Users have.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20856 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:21 am

flori89 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:50 am
ozinga wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 am
ls1xxx wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:30 am
This here is going to be the same scenario like when Gibson bought Opcode i'm afraid. :(
Well, Apple bought E-magic and Yamaha Steinberg, and both Cubase and Logic going pretty well. So you never know
You might not want to bring up Logic in that context. People mit get PTSD from that. Just joking, but what happened to Logic is pretty much the sum of all fears that Studio One Users have.
What happened to Logic is great! It's better than ever!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”