Cubase 12 dropping VST 2 support (For Apple Silicon)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

apoclypse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:01 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:50 am
apoclypse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:10 amThis is just Steinberg taking the opportunity to finally move the transition from VST2 in amore decisive way.
And why shouldn't they?
Oh they definitely should. I think some developers need a kick on the pants (looking at you NI). They are more than happy to take your money every time they update their software but can't be bothered to keep up with the technology. When smaller independent developer can do it there is no excuse imo.
100%

And, ironically, NI have been spitting out VST3 updates in record numbers since Steinberg announced this.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:46 am Steinberg gave them 8 years notice.

Complaining about Steinberg is laughable, at this point.

This is all on the plugin and DAW developers.

Sorry, but no.
It doesn't have to be exclusively one side or the other.

The second-best thing Steinberg could have done (to help VST3 adoption) is to drop VST2 support from Cubase/Nuendo as soon as they stopped supporting the SDK; it should have happened years ago! Then shops like NI would have far less excuse for dragging their feet. (I'm sure they'd still take their time, but yeah, that's on them.)

The best thing Steinberg could have done is to design a more backwards-compatible API in the first place. There should have been a much simpler, more foolproof migration path. They should have gradually deprecated whatever features they wanted to remove.

I've heard that VST3's major architectural changes were partly motivated by the chance to improve Cubendo internals. Even if this is true, I can't imagine they've fully realized this goal, because they're still keeping compatibility with VST2 (on platforms where it was previously supported). So I can only wonder: What was even the point?
I hate signatures too.

LeVzi wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:47 am
Why don't they leave things alone ?
Cue for a song...Blancmange wasn't it? One of their better ones too. As I get older it's become one of my anthems. :hihi:

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:11 am I'm really done with this thread, and the people in it. Please stop quoting me. Thank you.
:clap:
People really are the worst.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 am If I wasn't already, I am now. Thanks for confirming my impressions.
You do impressions? :hyper:

Digital Performer can host AU, VST2 and VST3. I'm good. I will not be continuing with Cubase once they drop VST2 on Intel. Well eventually I will need a new Mac and so then Cubase will be over and out. I definitely have a number of plugins that are not available in VST3...and in particular there are some midi concerns that Steinberg flubbed up with VST3 in the design and can never work entirely properly in VST3... I almost never use VST3 versions of anything and nor do I want to.

Steinberg can choose to drop VST2 from Cubase12 if they want, but I think that is a strategic and marketing mistake on their part. They blew the VST3 transition a long time ago and have never fixed what they blew, they've only tried to force everyone to accept their piece of crap VST3 sdk through sheer force. CLAP is coming. CLAP will win. Steinberg will be left with a version of Cubase that can't host AU, VST2 nor CLAP...only VST3...and unless they amend the path they are on...people will stop using Cubase or raise a very big ruckus...and VST will become a thing of the past. They are on the edge of losing the control they have had for a while. They are pretty stubborn over there at Steinberg...so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

In my view Steinberg only made VST3 the way they did in order to architect Cubase a certain way that was convenient for them...and then tried to force everyone else to follow their overly complicated VST3 sdk paradigm...which for ten years..most of the industry has avoided as much as possible developing directly to that SDK. (using JUCE to generate VST3 wrapped plugins does not count). Fine whatever, its not that hard to put VST3 wrappers around VST2 plugins and many people will do that in order to run inside Cubase12+. But those will not be using the VST3 paradigm, they will just be pretending, defeating the whole point of it. And in addition, the VST3-wrapping will introduce design problems related to midi....so certain VST2 midi plugins will simply not work properly that way or any other way where VST3 is involved.

Right now anyone can also run something like BlueCatAudio Patchworks.VST3 and host VST2 plugins inside it. So there are work arounds..and people will get by...but there will be hassles for sure for many people as Steinberg attempts to tighten their grip on the matter. But honestly I think CLAP is going to give them a very hard time in the coming years...Steinberg will have to bend to the will of the rest of the industry rather then trying to force people to bend to their will. VST3 will become pretty much like MAS is on Digital Performer eventually, IMHO. Which is as it should be honestly
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

You want to take a wager?
Cubendo will be around and popular for yearssss to come is my bet.

rsp
sound sculptist

I didn't say Cubase was going away. Read more carefully. I said they will be forced to bend instead of forcing everyone else to.

I also said that I will no longer be using Cubase....or at least the newest version of it..when they stop supporting VST2

Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 am I didn't say Cubase was going away. Read more carefully. I said they will be forced to bend instead of forcing everyone else to.
" Steinberg will be left with a version of Cubase that can't host AU, VST2 nor CLAP...only VST3...and unless they amend the path they are on...people will stop using Cubase or raise a very big ruckus...and VST will become a thing of the past."

Will wager on this too.
rsp
sound sculptist

Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:49 am I also said that I will no longer be using Cubase....or at least the newest version of it..when they stop supporting VST2
I think them stopping support of vst2 is years away..too much of their clientbase rely on it.
rsp
sound sculptist

More developers are coming on board the vst3 wagon. The developers who don't will eventually become niche products for hobbyist.
That's my prediction...
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 am
Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:48 am I didn't say Cubase was going away. Read more carefully. I said they will be forced to bend instead of forcing everyone else to.
" Steinberg will be left with a version of Cubase that can't host AU, VST2 nor CLAP...only VST3...and unless they amend the path they are on...people will stop using Cubase or raise a very big ruckus...and VST will become a thing of the past."

Will wager on this too.
rsp
will wager on what? Cubase does not support AU. I seriously doubt they will support CLAP. They will be discontinuing VST2. What do you disagree with that you feel you need to wager a silly bet on?

zvenx wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:58 am
Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:49 am I also said that I will no longer be using Cubase....or at least the newest version of it..when they stop supporting VST2
I think them stopping support of vst2 is years away..too much of their clientbase rely on it.
rsp
I agree that too much rely on it...but they have announced they are discontinuing it for M1 Macs in Cubase12 already. You think the rest of it will be far behind? I don't think so. But I hope you are right here.

Dewdman42 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:01 am
............ version of Cubase that can't host AU, VST2 nor CLAP...only VST3...and unless they amend the path they are on...people will stop using Cubase or raise a very big ruckus...and VST will become a thing of the past."
will wager on what? Cubase does not support AU. I seriously doubt they will support CLAP. They will be discontinuing VST2. What do you disagree with that you feel you need to wager a silly bet on?
"people will stop using Cubase or raise a very big ruckus...and VST will become a thing of the past."
"

that part.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”