vst efx with live sl

Official support for: livelab.dk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

has anyone noticed if you ever use any vst effect with live slice it will go off time and the more efx you put in the more time it will go off???
i'm using live 6.0.1
is there a fix for this???
just go the new 1.45 update still nothing...
let me know

sounds odd, never heard of this before. I'll take a look at it but it would be great with some more detail: for instance what effects are you using? does it happen with all effects / only dependent on the number of effects, etc. Also: how does it go "off time" ? increasing delay or increasing irregularity. What is it exactly that goes off time? If possible send me an ableton live project file using freeware effects that demonstrates the problem. If you help me out a bit I'll start working on a fix right away.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

it's pretyy much any vst effect,\. i've been testing out different ones such as glitch, mickey metal, live cut... i've also tryed out using the stock live effects they seem to work fine...
it's kinda odd how it does it to..
i've been using 2 different tracks using the same drum loop.
one with no effect the other one i add one keep adding more..
wen you add one effect i sounds like it kinda flanges a lil bit then if you add another it will go a lil bit more off and soo on..
i got a 2 gigahrz processor and 1 gig of ram. running win xp with sp2 updated.
i don't think it would be my prob..
odd thing is you dont even need to use the effect just it being there off will make it go off time...
yea sooo if you just open up 2 tracks add liveslice you'll see...
i'll try to send you the effects and the project... i've been comparing for a couple days...
ohm wrote:sounds odd, never heard of this before. I'll take a look at it but it would be great with some more detail: for instance what effects are you using? does it happen with all effects / only dependent on the number of effects, etc. Also: how does it go "off time" ? increasing delay or increasing irregularity. What is it exactly that goes off time? If possible send me an ableton live project file using freeware effects that demonstrates the problem. If you help me out a bit I'll start working on a fix right away.

I just reproduced this in the live 6.03 demo, and found it only happens when you use a midi controller to trigger. If you send midi from a clip / midi track, the tracks are 100% in sync.
Now liveslice doesn't care if the midi notes comes from the a track or a keyboard - in both cased liveslice just receives midi notes and acts accordingly, so I immediately suspected it was an ableton live problem.
So i tried adding drumatic instead of liveslice and adding 6 random vst effects to one of them (a all turned off) - there was a very audible delay on the effected drumatic - my guess is this will happen to all VSTi's in Live. I can't do anything to fix that.

I suggest that you use some kind of vst chainer (I use energy xt, but there are free ones out there) to add insert effects in live to avoid (or mask) the problem: add
the same vst chainer (subhost) to all the tracks, this way they are all delayed by the same amount. then you can add all the inserts you want in the subhost and voila.

note that your ASIO buffer size should be as small as possible as the signal apparently gets delayed by one asio buffer for each insert effect in Live (how lame is that...)

hope this helps.

just occured to me that in another post a user mentions Live 6.07 - perhaps the issue has been fixed in that update? I'd suggest you update your Ableton Live before trying anything else.

wow thank you for the help!!1!
i'm goin to look fora update now...

xtraman9 wrote:wow thank you for the help!!1!
i'm goin to look fora update now...
http://www.ableton.com/latest_versions

ohm wrote:just occured to me that in another post a user mentions Live 6.07 - perhaps the issue has been fixed in that update? I'd suggest you update your Ableton Live before trying anything else.
well i got the update but....
it still occurs sadyly...
but i figured out a rather silly solution...
as long as i have the same amount of vst efx in each track it stays on time...
like i said silly

thx for the help-xtraman

you should check if the bug has been submitted in the Ableton forums - also there might just be a better workaround. As I suggested: use a plugin changer (subhost) - that way you'll always have exactly one insert. Remember that 10 inserts at an ASIO buffer size of 6 milliseconds means 60 milliseconds of extra latency!

xtraman9 wrote:i've been using 2 different tracks using the same drum loop.
one with no effect the other one i add one keep adding more..
wen you add one effect i sounds like it kinda flanges a lil bit then if you add another it will go a lil bit more off and soo on..
it sounds like you have turned off the latency compensation (aka PDC = plugin delay compensation). just look if you have checked the option "Delay Compensation" in the "Options" menu. If not, activate it.

and one more thing: when you slave live 6 to another midi-clock or mtc, e.g. with another host, an external synth or another computer, you can't turn on the latency compensation, it just works when live itself is the clock-master.

Return to “Livelab.dk”