Tablet 2 MIDI hardware questions

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a few tablet questions that I can't seem to find answers for anywhere. I was wondering the following:

1. Can I use my finger on the tablet or do I have to use the little pen? I've never owned a tablet and was wondering if they worked like mac touchpads or not.
2. Are tablets monotouch? Can I define a slider on the right and an xy pad in the center and use both at the same time?
3. Can I define a button in Tablet 2 MIDI to switch the CC output of an xy pad?

I'm looking for a solution to control the performance pane of Zebra2 and was hoping to use a tablet with two buttons to move between all 4 XY panels.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

as far as i know graphics tablets are monotouch only. at least my graphire is.

and yes you do have to use the pen :( tis a shame i know - i think there is something in the pen that causes a magnetic 'loop' or something so that the tablet knows where it is.

Also, if you have never used a tablet, you dont actualy place the pen on the surface and move it - the pen hovers slighty above the surface for tracking, and you touch the surface for a mouse click. :ud:

Pretty sure most tablets are pressure sensative too...

WoJ

WoJ wrote:as far as i know graphics tablets are monotouch only. at least my graphire is.
Bummer. Although I did expect that given the price and prior experience with touchpads on laptops.
WoJ wrote:and yes you do have to use the pen :( tis a shame i know - i think there is something in the pen that causes a magnetic 'loop' or something so that the tablet knows where it is.
Ok, that really sucks, at least for usability as a midi xy pad. I don't want to have to worry about losing the pen. :(
WoJ wrote:Also, if you have never used a tablet, you dont actualy place the pen on the surface and move it - the pen hovers slighty above the surface for tracking, and you touch the surface for a mouse click. :ud:
It keeps getting wierder and wierder! :hihi:
WoJ wrote:Pretty sure most tablets are pressure sensative too...
Thanks, that's what I guessed from the youtube videos I've seen.

Woj, thanks so much for replying. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a suitable XY pad. I was considering one of the standalone synaptics pads but I was hoping I could use something a littler larger (ideally about 6" x 6" to get some nice resolution on sweeps and whatnot. I'll have to keep hunting, it's amazingly difficult finding quality joysticks to use as potentiometers that aren't +$150. The closest thing I've come across is this ELFA ALPS Joystick. They're 12 euros each and I'd have to order from Sweden. I haven't found a US reseller. The Doepfer ones are even more expensive at 75 euros each!

A bit offtopic, but does anyone know where to order good quality potentiometer joysticks that don't return to center and use friction lock to hold the stick where you leave it?

Return to “Livelab.dk”