What hardware do you use with LiveSlice?

Official support for: livelab.dk
KVRian
1216 posts since 10 Aug, 2005

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi folks and fellow slicers.

I love using LiveSlice live but I have to mouse around and I just appear to the audience as if I'm checking my email. I've been looking around for a decent hardware controller that would allow me enough "scripting" potential to set it up to control most of LiveSlice's functions.

It seems that a Korg PadKontrol is a good choice for this but I wonder if anyone else uses hardware live to control LiveSlice and has some experience and wisdom to share?

Peace

KVRer
7 posts since 20 Jun, 2007

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:11 pm

I use a 12" laptop, MOTU 828 and a Novation ReMote SL Zero - run LS in Audiomulch

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/novation/zeroslb.jpg

The Novation is pretty good - each dial/button transmits MIDI data, and each dial can have multiple functions if you scroll through the 'layers' using the buttons on the sides. You also get a free copy of the Novation Bass Station VST when you buy it.[/url]

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:55 pm

MattyT wrote:I use a 12" laptop, MOTU 828 and a Novation ReMote SL Zero - run LS in Audiomulch

http://www.ixbt.com/proaudio/novation/zeroslb.jpg

The Novation is pretty good - each dial/button transmits MIDI data, and each dial can have multiple functions if you scroll through the 'layers' using the buttons on the sides. You also get a free copy of the Novation Bass Station VST when you buy it.[/url]
Hi Matty,

The picture there is a "403".

I had a Novation Remote LE25. It was quite solidly built and the rotaries nice but the XY pad totally disappointed me. I expected it to be like my laptop touchpad but you have to press hard on it instead. I hear the PadKontrol XY pad is much better so look forward to trying that.
Thanks for the input though :)

Has anyone else used other controller interfaces specifically with LiveSlice?

KVRian
1263 posts since 15 Jun, 2004 from hamburg

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:47 am

i use the M-Audio TriggerFinger with LS. for every track i use the learn-function to assign any of the controls to functions in LS (mainly the randomizer ;)).

it's certainly not the best controller for this task as it's meant to be an percussion-controller, but i like it as it looks cool and fits in my notebook-bag along with my audio-interface. ;)

tbh, any controller could do that, it's just your personal preference. i suggest you check out some controllers at a music store and take the one you like best.
if you need elaborate midi scripting, you could get energyXT and use it as a plugin in your host, then inside eXT you can use different midi-plugs to do the scripting and connect that to LS.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:09 pm

Having a good time with my new Korg PadKontrol.
Setting up quite an elaborate scene-set so I can control multiplie LiveSlices and have huge layers going on whilst turning on and off loops and also playing slices with the pads.

Yum.

KVRist
56 posts since 8 Jun, 2007

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:21 am

Is it possible to let the sliced samples cut eachother of like a group mode or something? I'm intending to use liveslice for sampleslicing, and in combination with my MPD24 this would be a killer for it.

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:08 am

Sounds like you might need a monophonic mode or something where a secondary note on would cut off the first one?

ohm
KVRAF
1513 posts since 2 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:11 am

LAUWESHIT wrote:Is it possible to let the sliced samples cut eachother of like a group mode or something? I'm intending to use liveslice for sampleslicing, and in combination with my MPD24 this would be a killer for it.
Unfortunately there is no choke group feature currently. Would be a great feature to add. Could be implemented using the same gui widgets as in the output channel selector I imagine.
I added it to my FR list.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

Return to “Livelab.dk”