FR Database

Official support for: livelab.dk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...I have stored my loops in different locations on my HD (for numerous reasons), but I'd like to manage them from a single level within the plug-in. I would like to be able to tag my files and search after these categories...

+1,

I had raised an FR for 4 shortcut buttons to be placed at the top of the browser.
e.g. [A] . . [C] . [D]
and for those buttons to be mapped to 4 folders on the [Settings] page,
so I could jump quickly to any of these folders just by clicking the button.

DarkStar wrote:+1,

I had raised an FR for 4 shortcut buttons to be placed at the top of the browser.
e.g. [A] . . [C] . [D]
and for those buttons to be mapped to 4 folders on the [Settings] page,
so I could jump quickly to any of these folders just by clicking the button.

...would be a start, but actually not good enough for me - I have a lot of different loops (instruments, styles, manufacturers - including myself :D) in several folders on my HD. For the ease of use I think it's better to keep sample libraries in its respective folder. For instance, if you had an HD crash you'd simply copy the whole library to that folder again. Plus you'd save all the work merging files from different libraries into one folder (I know some people who do all that stuff...:roll: ) - e.g. all the drumloops from several libraries into one folder. I don't want to do that, because it's a) a lot of work, b) it could be difficult to trace a particular file back to its original library if you'd need to, c) you'd need to waste CDs & DVDs and another amount of valuable time to backup all that suff, d) using a categorisation system you could perform some more advanced searches rather than just browsing one folder and e) we have the year 2007 - I don't want to have to put all my socks into one drawer - I want the computer to tell me in which drawers these particular socks are. Data management - that's what they were designed for!

@ Jacob, I really hope you take this feature request to your heart - LiveSlice is a wonderful tool :hug: and I'm very happy that the Recycle support is finally there. And yet, even the most powerful application can be very annoying when its workflow is cumbersome and I'm afraid the data management part could become an achilles' heel of LiveSlice. However, I'm really grateful for all your efforts so far :tu:...

I never liked the library stuff personally - mainly because of the annoyance of updating sample databases when you added 10 new loops, and rebuiling libraries when you forgot to backup that database file after a reinstall etc.
It would be great to be able to sort / search based on bpm etc. so I agree it should be looked into.

It's not too difficult to search rx2 files and build a small database of the metadata (tempo, duration, time signature) to facilitate searching and categorized browsing. I could include the metadata in acidized wave files too.

Have you tried the library feature of shortcircuit2? I quite like how you define the library by creating windows shortcuts in a dedicated directory in the installation folder. Create subfolders to define categories etc. That way the same directory can have multiple categories.

The great thing about this solution is that I don't have to spend weeks coding a sample database management system, and you get interoperability with shortcircuit2 by simply copying shortcuts :-) It also makes sense because you're gonna be browsing though your windows folders to build the library anyways, unless you wanna go for the automatic system scan solution that IMO is always too time consuming and always includes all the wrong files.

In short: I'm interested in more thoughts on this, and I do agree that there's a need for better loop browsing facilities.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

ohm wrote:I never liked the library stuff personally - mainly because of the annoyance of updating sample databases when you added 10 new loops, and rebuiling libraries when you forgot to backup that database file after a reinstall etc.
It would be great to be able to sort / search based on bpm etc. so I agree it should be looked into.

It's not too difficult to search rx2 files and build a small database of the metadata (tempo, duration, time signature) to facilitate searching and categorized browsing. I could include the metadata in acidized wave files too.

Have you tried the library feature of shortcircuit2? I quite like how you define the library by creating windows shortcuts in a dedicated directory in the installation folder. Create subfolders to define categories etc. That way the same directory can have multiple categories.

The great thing about this solution is that I don't have to spend weeks coding a sample database management system, and you get interoperability with shortcircuit2 by simply copying shortcuts :-) It also makes sense because you're gonna be browsing though your windows folders to build the library anyways, unless you wanna go for the automatic system scan solution that IMO is always too time consuming and always includes all the wrong files.

In short: I'm interested in more thoughts on this, and I do agree that there's a need for better loop browsing facilities.
...I don't know SC2. I have downloaded what seems to be the latest beta, but it doesn't work on my machine, so I can't comment on its data management. But maybe we both mean the same. For me it would work if LS would offer a file/preset format **similar** to Ableton Live's alc-files, i.e. an alias of the original file with some additional data - in our case some (user-definable) categories. It would be nice to save a file from LS to its browser and add some keywords to it. With this I could manage the files from serveral locations on one level. There I'd like to be able to search for different keywords. I can't see the need for an extensive database that needs to be scanned and rebuilt and so. Just a simple alias system that allows the usage of some meta-data - is this too naive :oops:?

In short: you're able to save an alias of one file (the alias could also be the actual preset), and add, let's say, up to six keywords/categories. You're able to search after these categories and you can preview the file from the browser by clicking on the alias/preset file.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about coding, so I don't know if this is too much to ask for - but would my suggestion be too complicated?

tbh, i never really used libraries (e.g. in battery) and tried to construct my folder-structure so that i could find everything. but recently my sample-folders grew to an amount where i lost track of many things.

so either way, an additional set of categorization in a meta-data file or a simple db-system could be great to get more structure into the lib. and of course there are many ppl out there using those lib-functions in other samplers who would love to see something like this in LS.

Return to “Livelab.dk”