Free like a Pro

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRAF
3194 posts since 18 Mar, 2008

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Welcome to KVR, we discuss this stuff all the time, endless lists of free synths across tons of similar threads like this and we already established freebies are good enough, so yaay, hot water. Just use whatever freaking thing you like, you don't get extra cookie if you use freebie.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

KVRist

Topic Starter

186 posts since 11 May, 2016 from Bulgaria

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:35 pm

a,one more thing ...why everybody think that if the vsti is 32bit it is not professional - is the sound in the nature 64bit or what :):):)

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:37 pm

VELLISLAV wrote:a,one more thing ...why everybody thing that if the vsti is 32bit it is not professional - is the sound in the nature 64bit or what :):):)
Here, we already did that one. :tu:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=469412
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

KVRAF
30020 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 pm

VELLISLAV wrote:Hi guys thanks for joining the discussion - these days i made some experiments with my favorite free vst's i mention above and dare to say the expression 'get what u pay' is not exactly true - following this logic all free stuff should be garbage ...
See there's the error. Noone said that it is garbage. Black/white much?

You still gotta show me the freeware which is able to compete with Spire/Largo/Diva/Sylenth1/Massive/Serum/fillinwhateverpaywaresynthyoulike though.
Zexila wrote:Welcome to KVR, we discuss this stuff all the time, endless lists of free synths across tons of similar threads like this and we already established freebies are good enough, so yaay, hot water. Just use whatever freaking thing you like, you don't get extra cookie if you use freebie.
:tu:

But, frankly, this whole black/white stuff, and the almost religious advocating of free software isn't really what i'd call rational arguing either. Don't forget also that most of the companies offering freeware do that for advertising, and marketing purposes. And that most of the part time developers offer their stuff for free, because they don't think that it would sell much, if they offered it for 100 € plus. AND, that some of the free plugins presented here are former payware plugins.
Last edited by chk071 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:43 pm

The sound perception is a complex acoustic process ,so don't start with old truth that money make the music - it can help but its not everything ...ok now i am really emotionally affected so next few days will make a demonstration of what default sounds of my commercial vst synth can and what I can do with bunch of free ones ...can u get the difference?Let say Synthmaster+Sylenh default presets vs Synth1+Tal noisemaker ...vst battle yeee :)Looks challenging :)
Last edited by VELLISLAV on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 pm

BTW, when it comes to reverb plugins, there's really nothing, i mean NOTHING out there for free, which can compete with good payware reverbs. I mean, like, seriously. Most are a joke compared. No offense.

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 pm

In before layzer's random, snobby "It only depends on your mixing capabilities" post, BTW.

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:55 pm

VELLISLAV wrote:The sound perception is a complex acoustic process ,so don't start with old truth that money make the music - it can help but its not everything ...ok now i am really emotionally affected so next few days will make a demonstration of what default sounds of my commercial vst synth can and what I can do with bunch of free ones ...can u get the difference?Let say Synthmaster+Sylenh default presets vs Synth1+Tal noisemaker ...vst battle yeee :)Looks challenging :)
We already established that moons ago and some of us took synths we like instead of bunch of freebies because making music with stuff we like is more fun to us than earning invisible cookie for using bunch of freebies.

KVRAF
5571 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:00 pm

Payware saves lots of time. The sound which you can pull off from freeware plugins if you have enough skill and patience is already there in payware plugins.

They all are ones and zeroes after all.

On the other hand, when you have first-hand experience with something that sounds good with minimum effort it is easier to learn how to make good sounds with something that doesn't sound that good by default.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

KVRAF
5571 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Zexila wrote:
VELLISLAV wrote:The sound perception is a complex acoustic process ,so don't start with old truth that money make the music - it can help but its not everything ...ok now i am really emotionally affected so next few days will make a demonstration of what default sounds of my commercial vst synth can and what I can do with bunch of free ones ...can u get the difference?Let say Synthmaster+Sylenh default presets vs Synth1+Tal noisemaker ...vst battle yeee :)Looks challenging :)
We already established that moons ago and some of us took synths we like instead of bunch of freebies because making music with stuff we like is more fun to us than earning invisible cookie for using bunch of freebies.
Unless you are someone for whom earning an invisible cookie from random KVR guys is the ultimate fun, of course. :lol:
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 pm

recursive one wrote: Unless you are someone for whom earning an invisible cookie from random KVR guys is the ultimate fun, of course. :lol:
Yeah. :lol: :hihi:

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:12 pm

'It only depends on your mixing capabilities'
Yes i have to admit that Mixing is crucial but i mean if u r using only volume sliders and presets for a basic mix ...ok i am really excited to prove my point that imagination is superior ...dont forget that default presets are made from somebody with skills and ideas different than yours ...probably i see thing differently because i want to touch the sound and composition with my own idea ...i don't know maybe it's just personal taste ...but before to learn how subtractive synthesis work i did try many demos ,especially Sylenth1 and Spire demos was in my Steinberg folder years and didn't find serious reason to buy them ...actually bought Sylenth1 basically because want to show of with my own set,of course love the sound of Syl1...but whatever i do is too much like something already somebody did so i really stand for my point that many free vst synths have their place in a pro mix ...also i saw some videos in utub from respected mixing engineers which use free vst and recommend it :)Cheerz :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:16 pm

Zexila wrote:
recursive one wrote: Unless you are someone for whom earning an invisible cookie from random KVR guys is the ultimate fun, of course. :lol:
Yeah. :lol: :hihi:
Too much coffee i guess :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Zexila wrote:
or maybe you are just deluded guy who spend a fortune for stuff u don't really need and the results u have are always 'i need to buy another one to achieve what i'm after ' ...been seller for many years could say that u r perfect fish in a market aquarium :):):)

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:47 pm

I messed for years with freeware. Synths, fx, whatever. Then i bought a CM issue with Z3TA+ as magware, and i was like "Wow, why did i mess all these years with free stuff, when i get that amount of features and sound from payware." Never looked back after that, because it was getting better and better. I hardly use Z3TA+ or Z3TA 2 now, because i like other stuff much better now, but, was kind of an eye opener why that was formerly payware, and why the stuff i used for free just didn't quite do it for me. There are much better sounding payware synths than Synth1, for example, IMO, and, there are much richer featured synths than Charlatan, Tyrell N6, or Tal-Noisemaker. Those are nice for free, no doubt, but, can't compete with a 150 € synth with a much bigger feature set, and variety of what it can do. I don't have a doubt though that the developer of Charlatan could sell it for 150 € though, if it had a feature set like Spire, or even Zebra. It sounds nice. It's just very limited.

As i mentioned though, i have yet to come along a free reverb which sounds nearly as good as the good payware ones though. There's just no comparison there.Most sound either muffled, metallic, or just cheap and weird. Not an easy task to make a reverb sound good, i think. None of the host native ones convinced me either, and most of the synth onboard reverbs aren't that great either, the one in Spire is very good though.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”