Best Delay Plugin?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currently using H-Delay by Waves but saw Sandman Pro and was impressed.

Are there any others that I could consider?

Thank you.

A few fan fav's:

Soundtoys Echoboy
NI Replika XT
Ohmforce Ohmboys
Nomad Factory Echoes
GSi GS-201
PSP Echoes
PSP 608
A well-behaved signature.

Sandman Pro IS impressive. And it can do all sorts of amazing things you'll never be able to do with H-Delay. I have too many delay plugins, but if there was just one among them I would super strongly recommend, I think it would indeed be Sandman Pro.

-M

Yep - I'm very impressed by it too.

Just wanting to confirm that there's nothing out there competing atm.

Sandman Pro looks the goods!

It depends a bit on what you want from your delay. I like H-Delay a lot because of its simplicity. It is my go-to delay for the standard stuff. If simplicity is what you are after I would suggest to check out the new Instant Delay from Unfiltered Audio.

If you like more complexity I would also suggest the various D16 delay units. And not to forget U-He MFM2.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

InEar's Incipit is quite worthy & wild:
https://www.ineardisplay.com/plugins/incipit/
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Replika XT is my favorite at the moment, great sound, lots of options.
dedication to flying

Replika xt looks great

That one that Elton John uses. Can't remember the name. It's by Boz Digital Labs.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Best Delay Plugin? No such thing, despite what some developers might have you believe.

I think that ReplikaXT and Echoboy cover similar ground, but Echoboy has more 'vibe', and also offers some different functionality. However, Echoboy doesn't have the pitching elements, filtering, or the ducking functionality that XT offers.

Neither of them cover reverse, or creative routing like RP-Delay.

And none of the above are as fun to play/tame as the monster that is Ohmboyz

And what if you want some 'spring' in your 201 emu?

So...No such thing as a perfect delay plugin; more a case of what will make it into your ever-expanding delay portfolio

Delays are like most of the plugins: everyone has its strenght, there are better all-around plugins, and there are those for more special purposes.
The material and the target dictates the choice.

I would add to the above e.g. Dirty delay, Relayer, Eventide processors (such as the Sandman, not only trad.delays) H910 Dual, H949, H949 Dual, H3000 Ultra-Harmonizer — Factory and Band Delays.

You also might wanna check out KVR developer challenge:http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2016/

Look for Space Delay and LaGrange
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

chuna wrote:I am currently using H-Delay by Waves but saw Sandman Pro and was impressed.

Are there any others that I could consider?

Thank you.
I have both and both are good.

Waves models several classic circuits with the Analog switch, I believe the 3 & 4 are tape models and the Lo-Fi adds that vintage crushed 12-bit effect. Then it has its modulation. You can get quite a lot of colour out of this one, but you should already now that.

In comparison Sandman Pro offers more delay types and additional modulation and cross modulation features. Its more flexible for sure, but isn't emulating anything in particular.

I tend to to turn towards it for more sound design type tasks. While H-Delay I generally use for the more classic style of approach to delay, and doubling effects.

I have Replika, the more basic version, but I keep forgetting it's there. Logic has its multi-tap Delay Designer, but that doesn't help if you are on another DAW. I see Echoboy used a lot as with H-Delay. IK Multimedia also has an emulation of the classic Echoplex which is quite good too.

Another one to consider is the HOFA System 1, a modular delay (amongst other things).
Its really quite nice, a full complement of useful effects that you can use to design
your own delay networks. It has a nice algorithmic reverb as well.

Currently on sale for 14 more hours apparently.

Once I got my head around the interface Waves Supertap became my most used and probably favourite delay.. I love how you can filter each tap individually and the modulation section adds nice movement. It's ended up being my favourite doubler plugin too.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”