Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just getting back into music and computer recording. My current computer desk really wasn't designed for a recording setup, so I started looking for something more computer friendly. The only design I can find on a budget is something like this ...

The monitor is intended to sit on that upper shelf, putting it way above eye level. This is counter to any computer ergonomics and is a great way to get a stiff neck.

This is the proper way ...

Note here the monitor goes in between two raised shelves so that it will sit at the proper eye level. Of course, this desk is $2000. And every desk that is designed like this - with the monitor at the correct level - is expensive. But I don't understand why that has to be. Why can't someone make a budget recording desk without assuming we want the monitor lifted above our head?

So I guess I'm looking at just getting a basic flat computer desk and building monitor shelves/racks to put on top. There are also some interesting gaming desks that of course nail the ergonomics but come with some garish aesthetics.

Any other options? I'm interested in hearing what others did to save straining their neck without spending thousands on a recording desk.

Any other options? I'm interested in hearing what others did to save straining their neck without spending thousands on a recording desk.
This may not be answer you are looking for, but

Table is just table. You can raise, extend and adjust everything with stuffs you can already find from your home. Such as woodblocks or books to raise things etc.. You can use some left over extra table or flat piece to extend the table for more stuff, etc.. You can analyze the bone structure of good table and try to mimick it with your own stuff

One of the best songs have been made on 20 years old ripped couch and 20 years old paint scratch table that they just had, in some basement, old bedroom, etc.. It dont really matter what table you have aslong it feels comfortable. Its mostly about comfortable chair and enough room to put your stuffs in, right height where your stuffs are. That is very easy to build with stuffs you already have, maybe wont look as good, but in the end we only use ears to listen the song.

If you can cut off thousands $ from the budget just by ignoring the table, I think its good deal.
People cant hear what table you use, they hear what you compose, the focus is all on the song :)

I have an old office type rectangular desk with monitors on adjustable height stands. Or just put something under the monitors to adjust to suit your eye level.
I'd rather spend $ on vst's.
My opinion.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I used to use this Office Max corner desk w/modifications. The desk was cheap but I noticed because of all the flat surfaces, there was too much 'comb filtering'. Being in the corner with full range Mackies turned out to cause some boominess.

Then I moved the desk to room center forming a semi-circle. This was more showy then practical.

After I moved I got rid of the desk and built this rig. No reflective surfaces. A desk surface in front of me just for mouse and tactile controllers/qwerty or nothing at all.
The vid mons swivel left and right and the audio mons are on inexpensive tripods.
Keyboards,whatever tiered off to the left. I don't need it in front of me.
The equipment rack was about $60 new at Radio Shack.

If you have a flat surface between you and the aud. mons. you will create 'comb filtering' effects to your ears. In studios with mons on the mixing desk is a no no, but they had no alternatives. Look at a mastering studio and you don't see that sort of thing.(it's also mid-field listening...but no difference.)
Last edited by annode on Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Get a monitor arm, they allow you to place tyhe monitor in the most confortable position. This one is cheap and good: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Sin ... r+arm+desk

I would say the one you post is not confortable either, you need to raise the monitor anyway to achieve an optimun height that is alined to your eyes while sitting properly. So a monitor will solve this almost for any desk.
dedication to flying

Don't forget Craig's List. I found my studio desk, one of those fancy $500 units they sell at Guitar Center, for $120, still in the box. I live in a fairly small city too, so if you're in a metropolitan area, you'll be surprised at what you can find.

Amazing what you learn round here. It hadn't even occurred to me that there was such a thing as a proper recording desk, let alone one that costs more than my entire recording set up. I have lived a sheltered life.

My recording desk is an old fairly solid office desk. I did make some stands to get the speakers up to a better height. That's about it.

Steve

With the soon to ship Zoom L-12, a user won't need that big of a desk anymore

https://www.zoom-na.com/products/produc ... etrak-l-12

tbarnaby wrote:
The monitor is intended to sit on that upper shelf, putting it way above eye level. This is counter to any computer ergonomics and is a great way to get a stiff neck.
Doesn't that depend on what height you are ?

Build your own. You can get all the materials cut for you, all you have to do is screw it together. Much cheaper, and its to your own design.

shapero wrote:
This may not be answer you are looking for, but
Actually, that was exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks for the replies everyone. That helps alot!

annode wrote:I used to use this Office Max corner desk w/modifications.
Am I the only one not able to see the pictures in annode's post?

tbarnaby wrote:
I cant see 'em either ...

I'm using an Ikea desk that I was given years ago. Its totally adjustable for height. The shelf hides all the cable mess away.

tbarnaby wrote:
First time I'm hearing this. I checked it out and it's "Google Photos".
I didn't know when I put my pix on there server they wouldn't let me embed them onto a forum page. I had two of the pix on one host that does let you.(showing above)
I'll drag the other two in as well later.(the Office Max desk)

thecontrolcentre wrote:
tbarnaby wrote:
I cant see 'em either ...

I'm using an Ikea desk that I was given years ago. Its totally adjustable for height. The shelf hides all the cable mess away.

That desk(and others configured like it) seem awfully difficult to navigate.
The lap qwerty and mon screens are almost out of reach. This sort of stuff is why I just went deskless. These configs just seem tiring. I know when I do music, i'm at it for hrs on end. I would hate to have to be reaching for stuff and leaning forward to see things getting eye and back stress.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”