I want to be the game audio programmer, where should I start?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now, I'm working as Unity3d developer, but I want to know more about audio programming especially in the game field. I want the knowledge that still can apply with Unity3d, I'm good at C#, and I think I can learn C++ (for now, I know only a few concepts about C++)

Do you guys have any bits of advice? or what is the book that I should start to read?

Thanks you! :party: :party:

I spent 15+ years doing game (engine) programming, but it was a while ago.

First, I strongly recommend learning C++ as soon as you can, all the games I worked on used it.

Then start learning a few audio APIs like XAudio2 and OpenAL. Different platforms and game engines use different APIs but once you get a hang on how a couple of them works then you'll be ready to tackle any new API they throw at you.

It's valuable to learn how things actually work under the hood as well. OpenAL is actually open source so you can study the code to see how low level mixing and effects are done. There are some other open source libraries that you can have a look at as well, a google search should find plenty. Have a look at the Unreal Engine source if you haven't already.

Then there are books. When I started out I read "A Programmer's Guide to Sound" by Tim Kientzle but it's probably out-dated by now but it went through how to write a complete sound engine with plug-in effects and instruments.

Might be a good idea to look at game middleware for audio, ie wwise or fmod. Both can be integrated with Unity (and the other major game engines), though it already has a certain degree of fmod support out of the box.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”