Number of tracks... How many you need?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Markku wrote:Those of you who have large track numbers, can you check/estimate how many are active on the same time in busy sections? I'm just interested how hard it is to EQ your projects (unless someone has perfect pre-selection of sounds, each bandpassed to exact areas).
Sometimes I have about 20-30 going at one time. I suck at mixing, so this has been a challenge. I use hard panning to separate similar sounds when I'm building multiple tracks for thick sounds (effected guitar, for example). I have learned to cut frequencies out of tracks that aren't necessary (like low cuts and high cuts), but I'm not really great at it; I don't cut things other than highs and lows, and I certainly have never built a song by specifically choosing ranges of frequencies for each track so that everything stands in its own EQ space, like supposedly is a good idea to do... :oops:
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

donkey tugger wrote:
skipscada wrote:+100 tracks, but through a managable number of busses. Many also mix per section, which means the number of active tracks at any given time will usually be a lot lower.
:o

Blimey, I start getting confused when it's over 25 (usually in the 15-40 range, depending on what it is). That's a hell of a lot of tracks!
Sorry for the telegram style. I meant "Yes, pro mixers use +100 tracks ..."

Personally I don't think I've ever gone beyond 40 even counting 8-10 channels inside EZdrummer, multed parts (mult = chopping one track into several bits and arranging them in several tracks), haas effects and similar, effect tracks, perc hits liberally split between many tracks etc. Nowadays I can never spend much time on a track if I want to finish it, so I'm usually down to a bare minimum of a handful of tracks + drums. But I'm fully aware that adding layers, splitting into segments, multing etc. would make my tracks better in many cases, at least in electric guitar based tracks with vocals.

As many as required, which usually ranges from about 50 to 65 for me.

I usually write Gospel and non-modern R&B/Soul music. Lead and background vocals can easily consume over 25 tracks with doubles, adlibs, harmonies, etc. Furthermore, I typical use about 8 to 12 individual tracks for drums which are triggered from a Roland electronic drum set.

As a proficient guitarist, I also generally add several lead and/or rhythm guitar tracks. If live horns are used, which I can play the several brass instruments (trumpet, flugelhorn and valve trombone), another 4 to 9 tracks might be added for harmonies and doubles. Keyboard and synth tracks vary greatly, depending on the arrangement.

Overall, things can add up quickly, which is why I love collaborating with other local like-minded musicians, songwriters, producers, engineers and singers.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”