Suggestions on buying PCIE AI for lower latency with projects of higher track counts?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been frustated by the latency I get in my current Audio Interface, Roland Tri-Capture for when there are higher amounts of VST Instruments/Effects plugins
I perform all my compositions with real time MIDI everything from Drums to Keyboard ( because I like playing in the pocket (Using Quantization less often), big P-Funk & D'Angelo Fan)

So latency is an issue.
Does switching a DAW (thinking of Cubase) really help me with this?
Would buying PCIExpress Audio Interface card like Lynx AES16 or RME HDSPe AIO solve the case for Ableton?
If yes, since my **** AI does not have any ADAT S/PDIF, I am screwed for ANALOG I/O now,
Can I have a MUCH cheaper alternative Analog I/O to Lynyx Auroura 16 if I go for the Lynx AES16?
Can I directly plug the microphones, Guitar Line In & Bass DI via the breakout cable into the PCIE AI or would that be stupid of me?
Do the Analog I/O in HDSPe have pre-amps or do I need buy another AI for ANALOG I/O if yes suggest me some cheaper options?
(Since dirt is what I am looking for I don't need to worry about clean acoustic/audio signal coming in as far as they are audible. Inspired by Flying Lotus to use **** acoustic reflections as an EQ & Audio Effect xD)

The Analog I/O I need:

Outputs
1x Balanced Stereo Line Out/XLR - Studio Monitors (1/2 Out)
1x TRS Stereo - Headphones (1/2 Out)
1x Stereo Line Out - for Hardware Effects processing/Headphone Cues.(3/4 Output)
Inputs
1x Mono Line In- Hi-Z Guitar (1 In)
1x Mono XLR - Microphone (2 In)
1x Stereo Line In - To route back the '3/4 ch Out' back into the DAW after Processing. (3/4 In)

Def a good diff with pcie instead of usb2 but thunderbolt or usb3 is prolly better than pcie for isolation on output. Not much diff otherwise. You want more plugs in a session? Gonna have to get a cpu oc or deal with higher latency and bigger buffer sizes on asio. Cubase wont help much for big projects... reapers the big man to beat for plug optimization.

I got myself a lynx aes16e and aurora 16 pair right here and they are f*ckin nice but they aint cheap and 16 channels is a bit more than what you need for what you got goin on. Heres a prob for you... lynx aes16 wont give you analog anything. It sends digital aes out and takes digital aes in. You can get a breakout cable that lets you send and receive aes stereo pairs and word clock independently so you can use any brand of dac you want so long as it supports aes/ebu in and out... but you cant get analog from the lynx aes16 without a dac. So you want a lynx aes16? Gonna need to get yourself a aes/ebu compatible dac to go with it. Aurora 16 is a bit much but aurora 8 is damn fine for what you need. Prob is it aint cheap and not on the market new anymore. And it dont have 48v for mics so youre gonna need a separate preamp. Big prob here is the aes/ebu bullshit. You sure you wanna deal with that?

Now if you do wanna deal... I got a spare lynx aes16e I can sell you for 200 bucks and shipping to get you a head start. Hit me up with a pm if you want it and I can do a post on reverb and only accept your offer. But its only one piece of a puzzle that can be real f*ckin big if you dont wanna go with all lynx brand gear for your io cus you need the special interlink cables to send and receive all 16 channels to other lynx gear. Cheapest aurora 8 I saw recently was like 1000 bucks used and then youre gonna need 2 breakout cables and those are like 80 bucks each from lynx website. Then a decent mic pre is gonna be like 150 bucks on top. Gonna sound real nice but theres gonna be cables f*ckin everywhere and thats like 2 grand for everything.

Smallest option for you? Get a thunderbolt or usb3 io box. And get a usb3 or thunderbolt expansion card for like 100 or 200 bucks if you dont have that on your pc. 1 box I know thats got everything you need is a motu 642 and its like 750 bucks. If you dont care bout the conversion quality all that much you can save yourself a mint and get that cus the latency and features are good for what you wanna do. Otherwise aurora 8 is godly clean and I can help you with a cheap aes16e card to go with.

Peace

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”