Best drum synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kong 8)

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 am Tremor: For those sounds that none of the other synths have. Expect to spend a long time though if you want to get a typical 909 or 808 sound.
Tremor would be really universal machine, if no one simple moment - it just does not have a usual sine wave in the oscillator. Ie you will never get such a powerful clean "springy" kick as in Microtonic (you can try, i already). That a big bummer.
But for various dirty and near-metallic sounds, this is a good option.

c_voltage wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:07 pm
codec_spurt wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:52 am Tremor: For those sounds that none of the other synths have. Expect to spend a long time though if you want to get a typical 909 or 808 sound.
Tremor would be really universal machine, if no one simple moment - it just does not have a usual sine wave in the oscillator. Ie you will never get such a powerful clean "springy" kick as in Microtonic (you can try, i already). That a big bummer.
Exactly!

That is why I always recommend it as an alternative to whatever you already got in your drum 'box'.

It's different to everything else.

That is why it always sounds good when you plug it in.

Microtonic is initially very impressive because of that big fat Sine Wave!

But it gets old quickly. It's basically just a Sine machine as I see it though I'm sure many of you would argue that. I loved it a lot and wanted to buy it, but after many years, when I finally got the chance, I didn't bother.

It's a great little drum synth though, it's just that I think too many people are over impressed by its powerful Sine Wave sounds. And they are good, they just aren't versatile. I get all my Sine Waves now from Drumatic.

Microtonic is perfect for many people. But it's just not needed when others of us have those sounds in spades elsewhere.

But never mind that. Tremor just provides drum sounds you won't get anywhere else. It's an anomaly. If you were the top premier drum synth company in the world (FXpansion) and you wanted to create a new instrument to complement everything else - Tremor would be your boy!

It probably would have been trivial to implement a Sine sound in there, but there was probably a reason why they didn't do that. Tremor is not lacking for that at all. It takes the instrument in its own direction and makes it what it is. It's a masterpiece of drum design that has no contemporary. Warts and all.

It's just so damn grungey and dirty and fits in that particular frequency space. It's the very opposite to the rounded and smooth tones of Microtonic. They both complement each other very well.

codec_spurt wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:12 am
c_voltage wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:07 pm
Exactly!

That is why I always recommend it as an alternative to whatever you already got in your drum 'box'.

It's different to everything else.

That is why it always sounds good when you plug it in.

Microtonic is initially very impressive because of that big fat Sine Wave!

But it gets old quickly. It's basically just a Sine machine as I see it though I'm sure many of you would argue that. I loved it a lot and wanted to buy it, but after many years, when I finally got the chance, I didn't bother.

It's a great little drum synth though, it's just that I think too many people are over impressed by its powerful Sine Wave sounds. And they are good, they just aren't versatile. I get all my Sine Waves now from Drumatic.

Microtonic is perfect for many people. But it's just not needed when others of us have those sounds in spades elsewhere.

But never mind that. Tremor just provides drum sounds you won't get anywhere else. It's an anomaly. If you were the top premier drum synth company in the world (FXpansion) and you wanted to create a new instrument to complement everything else - Tremor would be your boy!

It probably would have been trivial to implement a Sine sound in there, but there was probably a reason why they didn't do that. Tremor is not lacking for that at all. It takes the instrument in its own direction and makes it what it is. It's a masterpiece of drum design that has no contemporary. Warts and all.

It's just so damn grungey and dirty and fits in that particular frequency space. It's the very opposite to the rounded and smooth tones of Microtonic. They both complement each other very well.
Big fat sine wave ?
Microtonic's sine wave is just that : a fundamental sine wave . :tu: :tu:
Microtonic's distortion module is placed post amp envelope which means it also shapes the curve of the envelope , same can be done in tremor with the distortion shapers ( post filter , post amp )
Tremor is great because it has an additive oscilator which microtonic lacks .
Here's a clone of microtonic I made in reaktor, +added additive oscillator ( capable of inharmonic tuning too) , added distortion modules and a comb filter ( but no sequencer )
Lfo modulations are running at halved sample rate for hi-q ( that's 22Khz standard )
Have fun , it can get pretty close to the original
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/8339/

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I have to say, that GUI is gorgeous.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Speaking of Tremor, you can get a fat sinewave, it just requires the LPF 4 and a suitable cutoff setting, and then, crucially, much more gain. There are multiple gain stages in Tremor (more so than in Mircotonic) and they need to be looked at, in order to reach the same volume level that you get in Micorotnic.

I've attached a Tremor preset to show this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Having said that, this is not the correct way to make kicks. Using this method of making the 'fat sine' will actually cause some issues when making the actual kick.

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:30 am I have to say, that GUI is gorgeous.
Thanks ,all done with photoshop /knobman ( nowadays everything is done in blender )
It's also availbale in white and bleu

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

himalaya wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 am Speaking of Tremor, you can get a fat sinewave, it just requires the LPF 4 and a suitable cutoff setting, and then, crucially, much more gain. There are multiple gain stages in Tremor (more so than in Mircotonic) and they need to be looked at, in order to reach the same volume level that you get in Micorotnic.

I've attached a Tremor preset to show this.
Hmm, interesting, thanks for tip, now remains to get mtonic kick from this sine :D
Here i upload an classical mt kick preset example (for mtonic).
init_kick.rar
If you succeed make it identical in Tremor, throw here the result please.
Just, i suppose make it via filter it's not the same unfortunately, but I would be glad to be wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

You can use just the sub in Tremor for kicks. Don’t have to use the main osc at all. Likewise, you can use filter resonance as well.

DMG68 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:24 pm You can use just the sub in Tremor for kicks. Don’t have to use the main osc at all. Likewise, you can use filter resonance as well.
Yes, i forgot to say - sub oscilator is main thing that i tried to use, but all the same - nope. The timbre is still different (big difference). That why i came to the conclusion that the sine should be contained exactly in the oscillator, but not in the sub. I do not remember all the nuances (it was a long time ago) but probably the difference in parameters is significant. But I still had hope for some interaction of the sub oscillator with the tremor's advanced modulation system - which I used only superficially, therefore, I sincerely ask to try to repeat the microtonic kick timbre, in the hope that someone has figured out a modulation system better than me.
So far I have not seen that this is possible to do. Need real example in form of preset.

Added: above i did provide file as whole mtonic preset, but more convenient will be in form of single drum patch, so it's here:
EM BD uTClassic.rar
Who is interested - please. (And who have both plugins ofcourse).

And for now after some checks i have to say, that Himalaya's option with filter sounds pretty hopefully, even if it does not become a mt kick template. But it has its own "springiness". It seemed to me as some way out of the Tremor's "range".

Michael L wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 pm If you want something totally out-there try Ephemere, an FM drum synth.
Yes, this one is really nice.

Stefken wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 pm
Michael L wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 pm If you want something totally out-there try Ephemere, an FM drum synth.
Yes, this one is really nice.
Ephemere really good drum synth (mainly due to FM not a much in market), but there are claims to it too - try completely disable built-in distortion\drive procession for different presets, and everything becom not so rosy. I mean that to a large extent here the body is formed thru post-processing, unfortunately.

DMG68 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:24 pm You can use just the sub in Tremor for kicks. Don’t have to use the main osc at all. Likewise, you can use filter resonance as well.
Yes! Of course! How could I forget these as well. :dog:
I've used them all over my Tremor sounds too.... doh! :D

So, there are three techniques to get a fat sine in Tremor. Easy. :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”