A short review on 32 free VSTis

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone,

This link is a brief review I did on 32 free VST instruments.
The "contest" was simple: to play the same song, consisted of several instruments, using exclusively each of the synths, under a condition: I would have strictly up to 32 minutes to configure the synthesizers. 8 instruments were needed for the song, 8 instances therefore required for each synthesizer, and 4 minutes maximum to find my way and to synthesize each sound.

You may listen to the different versions of the song, as played by each synthesizer. I also discuss and rate my experience in the article. Through this, I had the chance to get to know better some of the synths. Hope is of value for others too.

I aimed to rate each of them on the easiness to learn (including existence of manual, tutorials, a good interface, etc.) as well as my perceived capability of the synth.

https://r-project-thanos.blogspot.com/2 ... ction.html

Comments are welcome.

Thanos

------------------------------------------------------
HW: HP i5@2.50GHz 64 bit, 8GB RAM, Access Virus TI2, Clavia Nord Lead A1, Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland SH-201, Novation Peak, Roland SH-101, Yamaha TG-500, Roland JV-1080, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha Clavinova, Focusrite Scarlett 6x6, Behringer Xenyx 1002, Samson Graphite 49, E-MU Xboard 49, Omnitronic FAD-9, Doepfer Dark Link, SW: Cubase 9.5, Melodyne 9, Nora, Scaler, Magic A/B, jBridge
Last edited by ttsakonas on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

Extremely cool. Never seen anyone go this in depth with strictly free VSTs.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Nice overview,
You could enhance the entry by embedding the soundcloud links, and adding links to the sources.
You informed us about 32/64 bit but not about platforms win/mac which is crucial for a lot of us.
Your rating had a span of 3 to 5 with most examples at 5 - don't be too friendly, I bet it could be more diverse...

Overall a nice idea in the spirit of OSC...

Hi TJ,
Thanks for the hints. The platform was Win10 (64bit). As I didn't run any test on 32bit Win or Mac, I cannot speak for these platforms.

True that there were several highly rated synths in the review, but to be fair, I did gave one 2/5 (Plastique). As I wrote, I intended to rate these synths in terms of the general freeware market. Most of the "1/5"s and "2/5"s of this market did not even qualify for the review. This concerns synths that were either very primitive/amateurish, weirdly designed or CPU-hungry (includes mostly SynthMaker synths), which is an information generally known (and therefore not much helpful). Furthemore, I preferred to avoid including a fine-grained rating (e.g. having a "7" vs. an "8", etc,), which could start a lot of discussions, given that each user applies eventually their own weighting/judging criteria (on efficiency, fidelity, presets, etc.). Trust me though, that such a rating exists for me (and it brought me some surprises, against my personal bias). Moreover, it was actually taken in respect for the "rounding" scores of this review, but as I wrote, I'd consider it highly subjective to share it in its details. Even in that scoring, I encountered several highly rated synths, which could mean otherwise that the task imposed was not that challenging for many synths of the "elite" group.

Very cool, we need more involved community reviewing rather than the advertising in magazines.
zenophilix wrote:Extremely cool. Never seen anyone go this in depth with strictly free VSTs.
To supplement the OP: https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/the- ... 19.794262/

The Chase wrote:Very cool, we need more involved community reviewing rather than the advertising in magazines.
zenophilix wrote:Extremely cool. Never seen anyone go this in depth with strictly free VSTs.
Totally agree - let's say one reviewer says "the woodwinds of Xpand!2 are dull" and suddenly the product gets killed off, just because there are too few reviews online.

To the OP: Thanks a lot for putting this together! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:
The Chase wrote:Very cool, we need more involved community reviewing rather than the advertising in magazines.
Totally agree - let's say one reviewer says "the woodwinds of Xpand!2 are dull" and suddenly the product gets killed off, just because there are too few reviews online.

To the OP: Thanks a lot for putting this together! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, I intentionally uploaded all song versions, so to finally let the listener have their own opinion (on results from of an equal effort put for a song), beyond any comments of mine (and respectively, any possible personal bias).

Really interesting list, thanks for sharing your findings!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”