Best (or free) plugins for identifying polyphonic notes?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Suppose I have an audio clip from a polyphonic instrument. What's the best plugin for identifying simultaneous notes? Do I need to get Melodyne Editor for that or are there cheaper/free alternatives? (I already have Auto-Tune 8 but that seems limited to monophonic... in retrospect maybe I should've gotten Melodyne Editor instead.)

I want to know to make composing in terms of notes / theory easier.

If you just want to identify chords visually in an audio clip, then the free Riffstation Pro (desktop app, Windows and Mac) will do the job with 80% accuracy using its automatic chord detection. It displays the chords and diagrams with the music. You can slow down, loop sections, transpose, and isolate and mute instruments. Very handy!

https://pro.riffstation.com/
https://pro.riffstation.com/features_page/

This used to be a commercial paid product (I know, I bought it), which has been acquired by Fender and is now released for free.

But if you actually need to edit recorded tracks, then Melodyne is probably the best game in town.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Ou_Tis wrote:I want to know to make composing in terms of notes / theory easier.
If that's your goal then you're not doing yourself any favors by having a plugin do the work for you. Ear training is the way forward.

Winstontaneous wrote:
Ou_Tis wrote:I want to know to make composing in terms of notes / theory easier.
If that's your goal then you're not doing yourself any favors by having a plugin do the work for you. Ear training is the way forward.
I've being doing ear training for years. Melodic intervals and identifying major/minor or 7th chords are easy but chord progressions are significantly harder, especially with inversions.

Riffstation looks useful. Cheers zzz00m :)

The best plugins available for identifying polyphonic notes are the ones attached to the side of your head....

The're called your ears and hopefully,the're connected to your brain...

And that is where the real magic happens :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”