VST Samplers

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What plugin do you turn to for this?

Basically, a sampler/synth plugin that can take wav files of whatever length and give you the ability to process them in a ton of different ways (slice, stretch, modulate, filter, 'granulise', morph, etc., etc.)

Mostly interested in mutilating found sounds, creating weirdness and soundscapes, that kind of thing.

I already have Serum, but it really doesn't do this thing at all, as far as I'm aware. Fine for what it does though.

Harmor for me. For bonkers sound transformations it feels near-limitless. Pair it with an image editor (I use GIMP + G'MIC plugins) and you can extend its functionality even further. Steep learning curve though as the toylike GUI doesn't really give away how powerful it is. It's only once you start right clicking and see how many elements can be freely customised that it starts to dawn on you. The most obvious and pedestrian (by Harmor's standards) example being that the filter shape is completely freely drawable.

Harmor is a pure additive synth though, so it's only really spectral transformations that it excels at. It resynthesises your audio sample as a collection of sine waves and you can then manipulate those sine waves in all sorts of ways. Even the filters are 'faked' in the additive engine. You can 'fudge' granulation and the like, but inherently time domain transformations such as granulation aren't really a good match for something that lives in the spectral domain.

Renoise Redux . Dont know if does Granular yet ...

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm What plugin do you turn to for this?

Basically, a sampler/synth plugin that can take wav files of whatever length and give you the ability to process them in a ton of different ways (slice, stretch, modulate, filter, 'granulise', morph, etc., etc.)
HALion and/or Falcon. Do anything you asked and more.
Fernando (FMR)

Absynth will lead you in the right direction.
<List your stupid gear here>

Not really a sampler but Vertigo can do stretch, modulation, filtering, morphing, etc. https://www.discodsp.com/vertigo/

fmr wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 pm
kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pm What plugin do you turn to for this?

HALion and/or Falcon. Do anything you asked and more.
Hopefully HALION 7 / ABSOLUTE 4 - will bring more to the table ;-) - Round the Corner I think ;-)
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Izotope iris 2. Steinberg Padshop, and newsonic arts granite for similar ideas the mangle as well, but seems to be abondoned.

Form, Iris 2, and Kontakt cover all my bases for sample-based sound design.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Audio Damage Quanta is another option for granular stuff.

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pmI already have Serum, but it really doesn't do this thing at all, as far as I'm aware. Fine for what it does though.
You can load samples into Serum. There's not much it can't do TBH.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

There’s a lot that Serum can’t do.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 pm
kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pmI already have Serum, but it really doesn't do this thing at all, as far as I'm aware. Fine for what it does though.
You can load samples into Serum. There's not much it can't do TBH.
If I'm choosing between Serum and Kontakt for sampled instruments, ehm, it's going to be Kontakt everytime. As far as I know, Serum can't do multilayered, can't do more than one sample. Really, Serum is.. well, a synth. :hihi:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

kvotchin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:29 pmBasically, a sampler/synth plugin that can take wav files of whatever length and give you the ability to process them in a ton of different ways (slice, stretch, modulate, filter, 'granulise', morph, etc., etc.)

Mostly interested in mutilating found sounds, creating weirdness and soundscapes, that kind of thing.
i wish you luck. i've been trying to move my main workflow outside of Live but, more than anything, Simpler and Sampler always bring me back. i have been looking for exactly what you're describing for months without much luck. New Sonic Arts Nuance and Vice are good, clean instruments but pricey together in what should really be ONE instrument (and no stretching available). CWITEC TX16Wx is another contender, and free, but i find the interface fiddly, lots of work to do basic stuff and not a fan of destructive editing. It also tends to crash or cause problems in Reaper and Logic. You might also have a decent sampler in your host (Studio One, Waveform and Bitwig have decent samplers, i think, and Reapers RS5K is actually better than most...i hate dealing with the EXS24 in Logic, though).

Alternately, you could pick up Live Intro and ReWire that into your host to use it as a giant sample mangling plugin (it comes with Simpler, which i honestly find more useful than Sampler).

Yeah, running Reaper (which is fine so far, good in fact, but not exactly known for its outstanding native plugs), and have tried the free TX (figured I might as well), plus some other freeware.

I suspect one of these expensive ‘all in one’ offerings will be the thing.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”