I want to get better in music production

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:00 am I recommend getting something like a 49 key korg microkey, and actually play music with the keyboard, if you really want to improve your music, because feel comes from the way you interact with an instrument. Then over time you might want to switch to something with more expression, save up for something with aftertouch.

I actually have my nektar inpact lx25+ for sale now because I dont have the feeling that in learning and improving myself now. Ive seen the Roland a49 which looks quit interesting due the fact that it has also d-beam which can be usefull with the music I try to create. But do you think 49 keys would be enough to learn on? 61 is also a option, but im on a tight budget so I think I could better go for 49 with better quality.

I’m also planning to get piano lessons in real life. Would 2 lessons be enough to learn and improve? Piano lessons are quit expensive tbh. Maybe combinate with a free online course and daily practising.

Better buy some cheaper second hand 61 key Casio arranger, feels better to play on than most cheap MIDI keyboards with all the bells&whistles, keep that Impact if you want to have bells&whistles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TECLADO-CASIO- ... ctupt=true

I got same for 30 bucks too, really nice synth action keys, feels much better than Impact and everything in that price range, actually most arrangers do.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Hm but can I use that keyboard in ableton live? Btw, my nektar inpact Lx25+ isnt working in ableton. Only the keys and drumpads. Ive contacted the company because of the remote script I had to put in the folder but it just doesnt show up and they stopped helping me now. Thats why I try to sell it too
Last edited by Coenf99 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

And isnt it better(if it can run in ableton) to go for something that I can actually use for the genre I like to produce in; (classic) detroit electro/techno? Something like a Kawai k1 for example?

don't overestimate the virtuosity of this genre. I reckon less than 10% of these guys knew their C from their G. don't burden yourself with becoming mozart or stevie... it's nothing but simple minor sequences.

Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:05 pm And isnt it better(if it can run in ableton) to go for something that I can actually use for the genre I like to produce in; (classic) detroit electro/techno? Something like a Kawai k1 for example?
Well, for the genre, you don't need nothing more than 25 keys, you aren't really going to play anything that span over 2 octaves in one take, you will barely play anything, it's just one of the excuses.

If you want some quality controller for Live, than look no further than second hand Novation ReMote SL, but get whatever you feel you need to reach your desired goal, Kawai or whatever.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:40 pm If you want some quality controller for Live, than look no further than second hand Novation ReMote SL.
:tu:

acYm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 pm don't overestimate the virtuosity of this genre. I reckon less than 10% of these guys knew their C from their G. don't burden yourself with becoming mozart or stevie... it's nothing but simple minor sequences.
My chords doesnt really sound good on my tracks now. It all sounds very boring. I still think for me it would be handy to learn more about scales and chords. I looked up op youtube for many tutorials but its rather confused then helpfull because everybody got different methodes for learning etc. Maybe because the tutorials are not in my mother language too. I’m playing to get piano lessons in real life, because i can get lessons with a good amount of compensation, its max 16x 40 minute lessons a year, but it may be usefull if I just point out where I want to focus mainly on.

Zexila wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:40 pm
Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:05 pm And isnt it better(if it can run in ableton) to go for something that I can actually use for the genre I like to produce in; (classic) detroit electro/techno? Something like a Kawai k1 for example?
Well, for the genre, you don't need nothing more than 25 keys, you aren't really going to play anything that span over 2 octaves in one take, you will barely play anything, it's just one of the excuses.

If you want some quality controller for Live, than look no further than second hand Novation ReMote SL, but get whatever you feel you need to reach your desired goal, Kawai or whatever.
You may be right. A arturia beatstep is a nice option also due the fact it got a build in sequencer. Or maybe a beatstep, but I dont think its handy to have NO keyboard at all.

Coenf99 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:18 am
Zexila wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:40 pm

You may be right. A arturia beatstep is a nice option also due the fact it got a build in sequencer. Or maybe a beatstep, but I dont think its handy to have NO keyboard at all.
You would be amazed what people with no MIDI keyboard and lot of imagination can do, on the go/bus/train, with a laptop and headphones, like Mr.Bill, better look into M4L devices than, experiment more, there's bunch of Live guys that do great experimental things in that environment.

PUSH is pretty cool if you have limited keyboard skills (like me) ... or maybes a Launchpad running the Push script.

This is definitely the one to get - it has mini keys but they are really good to play, with after touch and you can program the sequencer through a software application on your computer. Even though it doesn't seem like much of an improvement,you will find 37 keys a lot better than 25. KeyStep also has tonnes of connectivity, so you won't outgrow it in a hurry. It is a really good choice.
Coenf99 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 am I dont really got a scale I use currently. Im awair that minor scale sounds the best in this genre. For this I use the build in midi effect scale from ableton with the settings of D minor.
My advice is not to over-think this stuff. I've been making music for nearly 40 years and if someone wanted to know what scale any song I have ever written is in, I would have to open the project and work it out. I use the credo "if it sounds right, it is right". That will work for you because you listen to a lot of music so you already know when something sounds right, which means you'll immediately know when something sounds wrong.
What are the benefits for me now if I purchase a audio interface? I only use headphones, monitors and a keyboard right now. If I want to send in data from my pocket operator I just the mic in from laptop.
I don't see too many benefits, using ASIO4all will probably do just as good a job for you at the stage you are in now. It is something you can look to buy later, when you have a better idea of where you are going with your set-up. e.g. You might realise you need an audio interface that also has MIDI in/out or one with more inputs or something.

BTW, I am not in any way into techno but your song has a nice feel to it. I like it. You should definitely keep working on it. I'd suggest a few good free VSTi to improve your sound, especially any of the cut-down versions you can get with magazines like CM or Beat - DuneCM, ThornCM, etc. That way you get high quality sound for free, which is what I think your track needs more than anything. Also check out NI's Xmas freebie, TRK-01 Play. You can also pick up good quality instruments really cheap, like Vacuum Pro for $1 (it's on sale all the time at different sites).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah ive seen very good reviews of the keystep, seem like a very good keyboard. You got a good point with the scales, if it sounds good, it is right. I listin indeed to a lot of music and in many genres like jazz, blues, ambient, electro, techno, oldschool hip hop, house, funk, soul. I think I know when something sounds good and bad. 99 of the 100 loops I create I delete because I dont think it sounds good if you listin to it a lot. The song where I am working on was for me a doubt, mainly of the main synth, but I think I still gonna work on it to a full song. I would look in to the vst’s you recommended.

Coenf99 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:22 am
JerGoertz wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:46 am I like, it reminds me of old Aphex Twin (Polygon Window).
Oh thats a good because Aphex Twin is great!
Not a bad sound to go for.

Coenf99 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:16 am
acYm wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:23 pm don't overestimate the virtuosity of this genre. I reckon less than 10% of these guys knew their C from their G. don't burden yourself with becoming mozart or stevie... it's nothing but simple minor sequences.
My chords doesnt really sound good on my tracks now. It all sounds very boring. I still think for me it would be handy to learn more about scales and chords. I looked up op youtube for many tutorials but its rather confused then helpfull because everybody got different methodes for learning etc. Maybe because the tutorials are not in my mother language too. I’m playing to get piano lessons in real life, because i can get lessons with a good amount of compensation, its max 16x 40 minute lessons a year, but it may be usefull if I just point out where I want to focus mainly on.
I didnt know a thing about music a couple months ago, as far as chords, keys, etc. I now have a folder with Chord charts, progressions, scales, drum kit processing notes (compression, EQ’ing, tuning) frequency chart to help, etc... theres a lot to learn.

I have the Nektar Impact LX25 and it’s a damn good midi controller if you ask me. Solid and has full scale keys. If I want to go higher or lower I press the buttons on left and it changes octaves octave. Press record and throw in a few chords, and duplicate. You have to get familiar with minor 7ths/9ths, inversions, timing (move notes on piano roll if arent good at playing) , etc. I usually use the midi keyboard just to get the chord timing (not each note is played exactly at the same time) and velocity varied, but all that can be done in DAW as well. Just saw a video of Tom Hades click away on his mouse and make sick dope Techno song. No keyboard necessary tbh. Getting the notes down is the easy part. Mixing and mastering is the hardest part imo.

If you want to go Chicago House style and play your organ stabs live thats another story.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”