Best non traditional daw?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:tu:
Yes... I could not resist the joke.. :wink:

Calling Ableton, FL Studio or Reason non traditional DAWs is quite a stretch. And calling Reaper a non traditional DAW is outright ludicrous.

Renoise is a non traditional DAW these days.

And I would throw Usine Hollyhock or Plogue Bidule into the mix. They have completely different workflows.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Until now only traditonal DAWs have been mentioned.
I would acount Max/MSP, Pd, Bidule and alike to be non traditional. If thats too far from traditional, have a look at Usine or something more aimed at film like DaVinci Resolve, which has a Fairlight built in and has an impressive free version...
But even the OP considers Live to be non traditional, I couldn‘t disagree more...; - )

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm
Topcheese wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm Well some people say Maschine is not a DAW, but you can use it like one.
Only in a limited sense - there's no free recording of tracks for example, you are limited to a maximum number of bars at a time due to its highly beats based focus. There isn't even support for certain expressive features of instruments such as aftertouch because everything is geared towards entering beats via the pads. It really isn't designed to be a complete recording host,
True enough it's limited and should be used with a full featured DAW, and I'll admit there's something a little clunky about "song" arrangement in it. Nonetheless you can record AND master tracks on it just like any other DAW.
I just got mine so I'm not an expert on it, but there is free recording of tracks. I see most of the videos on the Internet don't show you how, but there are some that show you how to do it. I know because that's the way I'm using it now to do my tracks. Perhaps I'm not understanding the problem? The patterns are limited, but you just have account for that,but yes you work only in 4/4 signature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgg6GaPyAOo

AudioMulch

mgw38 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm Calling Ableton, FL Studio or Reason non traditional DAWs is quite a stretch. And calling Reaper a non traditional DAW is outright ludicrous.
Someone call the non traditional DAW police for such outrageous crimes.
<List your stupid gear here>

Already did. They are currently establishing a task force. :lol:
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I'd try MuLab 8. Before someone sends me off to Gulag or something :hihi:: I use it as a traditional sequencer but the interesting thing is the modular framework, including the MUX DIY synth and fx. MuLab 8 is super cool when handling audio.

A great thing with MuLab for you is that it doesn't need installation - it's just a selfcontaining download. Thus it won't mess up your computer when you try it.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Bidule very good variant. The only thing, this is lack of convenirnt transport\playback engine. If would not this detailm Bidule could been used for whole projects from scratch.

Traditional DAW = Pro Tools, or one of the other tape recorder clones based primarily around linear multi-track recording along a timeline.

The more emphasis placed on emulating a pro recording studio, the more "traditional" points.

Anything else falls along a spectrum away from traditional audio recording towards non-traditional recording. You know, like loops and stuff ...
Windows 10 and too many plugins

There isn't one, they all have demos, just try them and find out for yourself. Ableton Live is no the best non-traditional DAW, for you, if you can't stand the interface. If you don't want to pay 140e for software updates every year then Bitwig isn't the best for you. If you don't like the workflow in FL, then it's not the best for you.
Always Read the Manual!

I'll just throw Loomer Architect into the mix.

It's still in beta, but it's very promising and could be called non-traditional, I suppose.

Maschine audio by NI work very fine with Maschine hardeware

Cakewalk by Bandlab. It's non-traditional because it's one the the best - and it's free.

mgw38 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm Calling Ableton, FL Studio or Reason non traditional DAWs is quite a stretch. And calling Reaper a non traditional DAW is outright ludicrous.

Renoise is a non traditional DAW these days.

And I would throw Usine Hollyhock or Plogue Bidule into the mix. They have completely different workflows.

Agree.

How about Soundbridge and it is free
https://soundbridge.io/
Or maybe not!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”