How does compare pc speakers like Logitech Z906 with Studio Monitors

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Should i take them like apples to apples, or like apples to oranges.

I understand the first have a coloured sound, while the studio monitors have a plain sound that reflects the actual studio appearance of the music you hear. The same ive read many times that on average studio monitors are considered by most an unpleasant way to hear music, and as in Rocksmith you get everything mixed thats what you are doing.

Let leave aside for a momment the different purpose of each one.

My question is, should i compare the 500 watt rms of the Logitech Z906 with the 100watt to 300watt you would get out of near field studio monitors you can get without stretching your money too far away from the 250 bucks it takes to get the Logitech Z906.

Because i have a Line 6 112 of 75watt 12" amp and it could crush to bits the logitech speakers.

Should i give special significance to the diameter of the speakers above watt considerations.

If it's loud enough to hear in the studio, it's loud enough to work on and watt's is irrelevant to this part of the debate. You should care about frequency and transient response for mixing on, wattage is for throwing parties and running P.A's.

Yes, the Logitec will recreate all the right frequencies, I'd fully expect them to do so in all the wrong quantities through, and that is going to make it very, very hard to translate your mixes outside of your recording space.

Studio monitors are flat as so not to colour the sound. If it sounds bad, that's a problem with the mix rather than the speakers.
The Logitecs will boost all sorts of frequencies to make them more appealing to the end listener, whilst trying to defy physics and the tiny drivers they are using. If you want a decent full range response you probably want to be looking at around 6" or 7" the main driver to be able to get down around 40hz - 50hz without relying upon pure boom.

If you want to be serious about music production Logitech speakers are not the place you should be looking.These are domestic speakers not fit for the purpose of music production.Save up and buy a reasonable set of studio monitors ,reference music you like on them so you understand their sound and your ears and music will benefit for it.Good luck and happy music making.
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

^^ +1

^ +1

Had some Logitech speakers that was given to me by a former tenant in the house I used to reside in.

Although they were not bad speakers by any means, I threw them away after my lease was up. My mixes would always sound low when I demo'd them with my headphones and car speakers compared to the loud mix on the logitech speakers.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”