Best House Synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:06 am no actually i'm not fan of classic house,it's not about early or later sound of the house,but the vibe the synth gives and inspire your creativity ,for example some people use Sylenth1 to make modern house,but i can't get this vibe from it,
maybe it is about filters,modulations or ADSR i don't know never been thinking about that before,
but for sure u can't call Sylenth1 house synth,it's more trance machine than anything else,same with other synths,
they are more into something else but house.
Another synth i would call house synth because of the vibe is AIR HYBRID3.
If i start house project definitely will start with SM1 and H,then will use something else.
It's subjectively for sure.
Sylenth1 is fine for House music. Sounds like you need to brush up on your sound design skills or definition of House music

aside from your statement only,what exactly make Sylenth1 a fine house synth...please tell us some house music secret,which will improve my sound design skills :):):)

A better question would be to ask which synthesiser technique is best suitable for house music. For example: subtractive synthesis, FM, sample based synthesises. If you talk about (early) 90s house music then I think sample based synthesis is the best synth technique to use. The Korg M1 is a good pick. Some big classsics relying primarily on sample based synthesises are Plastic Dreams and Don’t You Want Me. Although maybe your best pick would be just a Rhodes piano and some FX.
Dúnedain

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 pm aside from your statement only,what exactly make Sylenth1 a fine house synth...please tell us some house music secret,which will improve my sound design skills :):):)
there are no secrets

put up a couple of links to commercial tracks you are calling house music

Well for House bass I use the EFM1 in Logic as heard on this House track.. love the EFM1 for my bass

https://youtu.be/8PPz6BsqpZE?t=14

Then for other sounds just use a sampler :tu:

For House riffs I did these patches in Dune 2 or 3 somewhere at 0:00 here

https://youtu.be/Yhzl8edCBfw

Rob

there are no secrets...

I just start to work in house direction,but can you show me Sylenth1 made bass like 'Show me love',i doubt it can go even close,so this is a house secret numba uno,choose more suitable synth and things get easy. Kumbaya :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm there are no secrets...

I just start to work in house direction,but can you show me Sylenth1 made bass like 'Show me love',i doubt it can go even close,so this is a house secret numba uno,choose more suitable synth and things get easy. Kumbaya :)
You don't need Sylenth1 to make that "Show Me Love" sound it's a preset in the KORG M1 Legacy vst :tu:

From all unsuccessful attempts of recreating this probably is the most unsuccessful :)

rob_lee wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 pm
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm there are no secrets...

You don't need Sylenth1 to make that "Show Me Love" sound it's a preset in the KORG M1 Legacy vst :tu:
Agree,but what if you want something like it,not the same,i wouldn't bet on Sylenth1 to do the job,but wavetable synth with alot of modulations like Synthmaster One will definatelly gives you alternatives.
Don't get me wrong i'm not saying that Sylenth1 is useless in house mix just can't 'feel' house vibe,it sounds like classic trance to me,you know when build same preset with same settings but different synths,result is never the same.Nevermind it's subjective and probably the mood define it :)

this is made in 5 min,just to point the idea,don't have time right now to make something more interesting, but what if spend 5 days to create really cool preset with Synthmaster one :
https://streamable.com/8o26h

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 pm choose more suitable synth and things get easy.
Exactly, than what's the point of this thread, for every sound there is more suitable synth out there than the other, specialized synth in particular synthesis type is better for particular sounds than any of this do-it-all ones like Synthmaster, Zebra and etc, so I really wonder what are you trying to prove here really?

are you fan of twilight zone movies?I said somethng,then you said same and ask what i'm saying...funny:):):)

I think I may have got it.

Velltone, you like digital synths. That bass shown in the link is essentially an FM style sound as sampled and then filtered in an Akai s1000etc.

Nothing wrong with that but I too believe that you are showing a lack of understanding then pushing that outwards. I asked for some explanation of your position but you ignored it, only when it got specific to a cliche sound di you respond to a direct challenge to your position.

Do what works for you by all means but as a few have tried to say to you here, there is no House -non-House continuum when it comes to synths, fx, DAWs etc. There are merely synths and what choices you make around them. To be fair some synths and their patches lean more to one use than another but again that is choices and not some sort of law of nature around a baked in genre-sound per synth.

As an example: Sylenth tried so hard to be analog then leaped into the Trance space when the kids were calling it in their tracks. That meant that after a while all the 'low hanging fruit' sounds that you stumble into from Sylenth tend to have that Trance association. Synapse Antidote RE tends to be the same BUT if I separate myself from easy associations I can use it for all kinds of things that aren't remotely EDM in nature (all my music really) despite it not being a fave instrument for me.

:-)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 pm are you fan of twilight zone movies?I said somethng,then you said same and ask what i'm saying...funny:):):)
You never said that, reading whole thread and wondering what are you really trying to prove here, for every "house" synth you mention, there's other "non house" synth that can make more appropriate particular "house" sounds than that one, people use different synths to make different sub genres of house music and choose them as they see them fit for particular task, every synth is better than the other for any other sound and every sub genre is different enough from the other, so term "house synth" means nothing really, no such a thing.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”