Best workhorse EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are your go to EQ plugins? If you could only use one EQ plugin what would it be?

I'm loving TDR Slick EQ M and Parametric EQ 2, very interested in getting the Pro Q 3.

ProQ3 for sure as a mix of static & dynamic eq in one plugin. It's used on every single mixer track here in every single project. Right behind are the tonenboosters EQ and the HOFA EQ as a "more advanced" dynamic eq.

I algo got the TDR SlickEQ M, but I'm really more comfortable working with the TDR Nova as my go-to EQ for tracks.

FabFilter Pro-Q 3. Does everything I want from an EQ, I love it.

My current favorites are Digital EQ in Falcon and ReEQ for Reaper
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

ProQ is a little too $$$ for my wallet; for the budget conscious, Toneboosters EQ4 is fantastic value for its capabilities; all TB stuff is ridiculously good value and very highly regarded among the community.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Crave eq. Waves F6 for dynamic eq.

Some daws have an integrated eq, and that one I would prefer, less clicks - faster workflow

I could easily just use reaeq but like ddmfs iieq too, the free version from soundbytes is great, just missing a few band etc.

DMG Equilibrium
More BPM please

I could absolutely get by with what Cubase provides: the channel EQ for common tasks and Frequency for advanced stuff.
That being said, I prefer Tonebooster’s EQ4 for workflow reasons and dynamic EQ. Tried ProQ but I didn’t feel the difference in price - more than 100 bucks - was worth it (that “grab the resonance” feature was nice, though...)

roman.i wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am Some daws have an integrated eq, and that one I would prefer, less clicks - faster workflow
That's a great point actually. In Studio One, the EQ integrates itself into the send FX dialog, so that you have a visible display there, without opening the EQ's GUI, and you can adjust the nodes there. Cubase has something similar in the channel settings.

TBH, I never saw the need for a third party EQ, but, YMMV.

Toneboosters Equalizer 4 seems awesome but do you guys think its worth buying if I have the TDR Nova GE?

Ableton Live - EQ Eight
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wackob wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:09 am Toneboosters Equalizer 4 seems awesome but do you guys think its worth buying if I have the TDR Nova GE?
Nova is a parallel EQ, E4 isn’t. So there will be sonical differences, in my experience, you can’t make nova grab as much as a “normal” serial EQ, it always sounds somewhat mellower. So if you want a drastic cut somewhere to remove a resonance or ringing or want a mighty boost for the snare in the hi end, TB EQ4 might be more suitable for that task. nova might be great for hi shelving a vocal for giving it some “air” without being harsh.
So imho they are for different use cases, although there might be overlaps.
Personally I use EQ4 way more often than Nova, but that is just personal preference, I see EQ4 more as a standard channel EQ and Nova for special purposes. Ymmv.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”