Need new, budget friendly studio speakers

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MissOptimyst wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 pm Which audio interface would be recommended for those speakers that use XLR?
Input or output?

Would be output for speakers but input for vocals.

fgh
Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 pm Just make sure to get two sets of speakers, no matter what, even if one is really bad and cheap like Auratone.

Anything to give perspective.
Thanks for the advice! I still have my Harman Kardon Soundsticks III if I need them, it just is falling apart after a decade of heavy use and it’s time to move on haha.

I worked with many different studio speakers and my "best" was a really expensive Focal system with RME soundcard and so on. Some years ago, I visited a good friend and he had a very old hi-fi system in his cellar. I tested it one hour and sold my Focal system. Three days ago it brokes and yesterday I went to a good second hand hi-fi store and found a old Technics system and bought it for 150 Euro and this thing is better than every studio speakers I ever bought! :D

MissOptimyst wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 pm Which audio interface would be recommended for those speakers that use XLR? I also am looking for a good interface to support vocals as well. I’ve been looking at Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or Komplete Audio 2. Any suggestions there?
There is nothing special in speakers that use XLR for input signal, any interface that has two balanced outputs(left, right) will work, just make sure you have the right cables to connect whatever connector audio interface has to XLR.
For vocals you'll need a pre-amped input for the mic.
Two things to pay attention to when buying an audio interface are the latency and driver stability on the relevant operating system Mac Os/Windows. Read buyers' feedback on online stores.

I'm loving my Presonus E3.5 speakers.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

If budget is an issue, I’d say sticking with the 4.5s sounds good. I can also recommend stretching to the 5s, which I have and were the edge of my budget for money and space. I’m pretty happy with them so far.

The JBL LS306 get a lot of recommendations if you can push your budget even further, but from what I was reading doing my research it might even be worth skipping them to get all the way to the Kali LP-6 if you can spend that much.

Presonus Eris 4.5 soundgood, BUT i believe once your perception of sound improves your ears will demand for more higher quality speakers. I have the Eris 4.5 and just received a pair of Kali LP6, will compare in the next days and i'll come back here.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:43 am At a local recording studio they gave up their expensive speakers and now use Edifier R1280T
which cost $100. I heard them and they sounded great but I do wonder how accurate they are.
if room is shit it probably doesnt matter

UPDATE: I tired the Kali LP6, the difference between the Eris 4.5 and the Kali LP is apocalyptic on my untreated bedroom studio. Everything sounds so much better. Totally worth the extra $100

Of course that difference will be big, I don't get why people are recommending smallest bass-less speakers for music production, it's ok to have them lying around for reality check or for some small editing, but for anything more...

I'm not saying they're useless or that one can't make great results on them, but at least get something that reproduce some low end, 5"-6" should be minimum for music production IMO, especially if you are into music with plenty of low end, EDM and etc.

^ Indeed. If possible, consider the kind of music you want to make, or are already making. What level of bass extension is required to really hear what’s going on?

For me, that’s a hefty pair with 8” drivers. Very audible down to ~30Hz. Which is perfect, as I use a 5-string bass with typical tuning (i.e. low B on up). As well as - sometimes - various other super-low-frequency instruments/sounds.

A lot of people would probably do fine with speakers that handle 40Hz+ or so. That’s close to the lowest note on a typical 4-string bass, for example.

Even if you’re dealing with an entirely different style of music, similar benchmarks can be kept in mind. Should be, IMO: so, what’s the lowest you’ll need to hear?

kvotchin wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 am ^ Indeed. If possible, consider the kind of music you want to make, or are already making. What level of bass extension is required to really hear what’s going on?

For me, that’s a hefty pair with 8” drivers. Very audible down to ~30Hz. Which is perfect, as I use a 5-string bass with typical tuning (i.e. low B on up). As well as - sometimes - various other super-low-frequency instruments/sounds.

A lot of people would probably do fine with speakers that handle 40Hz+ or so. That’s close to the lowest note on a typical 4-string bass, for example.

Even if you’re dealing with an entirely different style of music, similar benchmarks can be kept in mind. Should be, IMO: so, what’s the lowest you’ll need to hear?
that's a bit reductionist :wink:
it's not wrong, just a bit reductionist.
There's a some details about bass extension as well.
- speed /transient response
- THD (do you even hear fundamental or do you just hear THD?)
- linearity
- ported non-ported / and why
- room treatment for the lowend

Sure. Of course, there are many other aspects to monitors (and yes, studios) that should be considered.

I was just riffing off that post a bit.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”