Headphones that aren't crap ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The bane of my musical life so far has been shite headphones - especially the really uncomfortable ones physically that you just can't wear for long. Does anyone have any recommendations for comfy 'phones - say, under the $100 mark (or so ?)

AKG K52
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AKG-K52-Clo ... SwRSBeSlmp
workable cans, comfy
heh I've slept with these on a few times

nix808 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:37 pm AKG K52
workable cans, comfy
If you can fall asleep with them on that's a good thing definitely

nix808 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:37 pm AKG K52
workable cans, comfy
If you can fall asleep with them on that's a good thing definitely
Thanks for the tip

Audio Technica ATH-M50X.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Mackie MC-150 really good for the money. Thinking about geting the MC-250/ 350 because i like the 150 so much!
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. - Penelope Grenoble O'Malley

thanks folks , will check 'em out

I haven't purchased a new set of headphones since I got my Beyer Dynamic DT770s. I used to get sore spots on my head and ears with other cans, but not with the 770s. Feels like a cloud on my head.

Slightly OT, but I recently started using Toneboosters Morphit correction + Waves Abbey Road Studio 3 with the 770s and that just took them to another level. Super useful when you can't blast your speakers at night time.

Superluxe HD668B with velor earpads. Samson SR850, same thing, same factory, slightly different headband.

I was going to say Superlux as well.

Hearing good things about the quality for a ridiculously low price: you think too good to be true, but no, it's not a scam.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Philips SHP2000. I bought it new for €10. My mixes got way better. It's $20. That said, I think Sennheiser exists 75 years and the HD25 now goes for €99 (was €149). They also got temporary bargains.

You can sometimes spot a pair of returned (I'm guessing box opened but hardly used) DT770s going for around €100 on Thomann -- they don't hang around, obviously! Love both my pairs. (My glasses make my ears sore anyway...)

Status Audio CB-1 has really soft padding, feels like a pair of pillows.
Take care :wink:

My experience:

Sennheiser 280: can get very comfortable if you break them in, but they will sit on your head like an absolute vice. Can get a little better pressure-wise with alternate earpads at the expense of audio isolation (they're some of the best passive isolating cans I've used outside of full-on hearing protector style ones).

Sennheiser 380: A little fiddly to adjust (weirdly they have less range of motion than the 280s) but pretty comfortable. Also easy to swap out with alternate earpads (the ones they come with are kinda meh but there are tons of aftermarket ones that fit).

Audio Technica ATH-M50x - pretty comfy but beware if you have a small head. I can't quite adjust them down small enough so the phones push in and pinch a little below my ears.

Mackie MC-150 - the audio to me doesn't seem quite as good as the ones listed above (which admittedly they are advertised as the "listening" version rather than the higher spec "studio monitoring" MC-250), but they are supremely comfortable once you turn the earpads to the angle of your ears (they have a fairly narrow opening centered in the circular pads). The earpads are super plush, no pinching or discomfort, was easy to get them adjusted. This would definitely be my pick for long-term wear.

ztrauq wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 am My experience:

Sennheiser 280: can get very comfortable if you break them in, but they will sit on your head like an absolute vice. Can get a little better pressure-wise with alternate earpads at the expense of audio isolation (they're some of the best passive isolating cans I've used outside of full-on hearing protector style ones).

Sennheiser 380: A little fiddly to adjust (weirdly they have less range of motion than the 280s) but pretty comfortable. Also easy to swap out with alternate earpads (the ones they come with are kinda meh but there are tons of aftermarket ones that fit).

Audio Technica ATH-M50x - pretty comfy but beware if you have a small head. I can't quite adjust them down small enough so the phones push in and pinch a little below my ears.

Mackie MC-150 - the audio to me doesn't seem quite as good as the ones listed above (which admittedly they are advertised as the "listening" version rather than the higher spec "studio monitoring" MC-250), but they are supremely comfortable once you turn the earpads to the angle of your ears (they have a fairly narrow opening centered in the circular pads). The earpads are super plush, no pinching or discomfort, was easy to get them adjusted. This would definitely be my pick for long-term wear.
Thanks ztrauq, really helpful - Sennheiser 280 are the ones I have, no problems soundwise but very uncomfortable over a period of time - maybe as you say I should change the earpads...hmmn...lots of options

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”