Mixing and mastering courses

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am looking for courses that will teach me mixing and mastering from scratch.
I have no idea about it. I have no idea where to start, do I need additional plugins etc?

Thanks in advanced

Lynda com, Groove 3, Ask Video, Puremix

Mix With The Masters is resourceful. Dig around YouTube (search for reputable engineers) if you're looking for free knowledge though, there's tons out there.

Hi guys, I saw that puremix has still black friday offer active, maybe it is a mistake? Try this out: https://www.puremix.net/secure/my-cart. ... e=PMMpLxYq

Before spending money on a course, search youtube. Also, practice mixing in mono at low volume. Before reaching for the EQ, adjust the levels. Learn a compressor by also lowering the volume, and adjusting the attack release and ratio to hear how the compressor changes the tone, texture, and movement of the material. So much can be learned by patient listening in mono at low levels.

For learning mixing from the ground up I’d wholeheartedly recommend “Mixing with Mike”, especially the “Mixing Bootcamp” course. It covers everything, from speaker placement and listening exercises to the nitty gritty details of the different processors. there’s also mix analysis, you get multitracks to practice (with feedback!), and Mike’s a great teacher. It is style-agnostic, although if you solely want to focus on “EDM” or other styles, it’s maybe not for you. I paid $130 or so in a sale, which is ridiculous for the amount of information offered.

It is NOT for you if you just want “the top 5 mixing tipps/mistakes” videos ;). I’d stay away from every YouTube channel that has those...

You can have a look at an older course that is now free on Youtube to see if you gel with his teaching style (it’s very non-hyped and detailed, which might of course seem boring to some). There’s loads of other little gems on his channel.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60v ... eY2MLoDsAJ

I’m also just in the process of learning the basics. I didn’t want to spend hours on youtube, but there sure is a lot of free stuff. Some software companies produce free tutorials. I settled for groove3 to get things in a structured order and see the workflow in my daw. Then got some Books for reference. Check out bobby owsinski’s book on mixing for example.

I personally found Puremix very helpful if you want to learn about compression and EQ

I did the Hyperbits Masterclass in 2018. Its very EDM oriented (mainstream). However even tho I make Techno it did benefit me very well and their community is awesome. They also have frequently sales on their courses and this 8 week master is not like cheap but worth its money imho and at least in 2018 more geared towards mixing and mastering than songwriting but there is some overlapping.

Has anyone got opinions on these courses in relation to experimental / GRM style compositions? Lots of mixing / mastering tutes online focus on mixing drums / bass / guitar or EDM sounds

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”