Cheap Headphone Recommendations

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't have a lot of money, but I could do with some decent cans.

Are there any cheap recommendations that aren't awful (obviously)?

Thinking around the £20 mark, if possible.
Thanks

Very cheap & actually pretty decent!
http://www.hifi-forum.de/themen/produkt ... n/hed-1112
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Superlux headphones are that cheap. The model, depends on what kind of sound you like. Superlux HD 668B is perhaps best. You can also check out used market. Used Shure SRH 440 is pretty good. Save some more money and buy the AKG K361. Or M40x.

what is it you want to do with them? for tracking or casual music listening the superlux range are fine but I wouldn't mix or master with them. i've bought a couple of pairs of them just to see how far budget will get you, and nope I wouldn't use them for that. it's worth saving up more for that job. if you just want to mix on a budget get a very flat used pair of bookshelf hifi speakers from ebay, there are bargains out there for under £50.

keel wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:13 am Superlux headphones are that cheap. The model, depends on what kind of sound you like. Superlux HD 668B is perhaps best.
Another vote for the Superlux HD-668B. Best cans I ever had, for ridiculous 30 € on Thomann... don't be fooled by the price, they're better than any 100 € plus Bluetooth headphones I ever tried (I'm using them for listening to music or gaming with a Bluetooth dongle attached).

Note that Superlux have several models for different purposes. The "B" in the name of the HD-668B stands for balanced, and is actually meant to be between a flat neutral response, and hi-fi. And, I can definitely confirm that. They're a bit on the hi-fi side, which I like, but, not too much. I would say the character is pretty much perfect, at least for me. I can listen to music with them, game with them, or play synthesizers with them. If you see the other suffixes, "F" stands for flat/neutral, and the cans without a suffix are more on the hi-fi side (actually, the HD-681 have a very similar sound to the HD-668B, while being a lot more bass heavy, which made them not suitable for me, because they were much too bass dominant for my liking).

I wouldnt recommend the ones I have posted for pro Mastering & mixing either. Yet, if you can find those (around $10 usually) they will work fine (excellent for the price) for listening & a bit of producing, too! :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Seconding the Superlux 668Bs, I'd say the best for around £30.

The cheaper akgs are nice too. I think you can get the k52 for about £25. I've the k92s (nearer £50), initially for casual listening but fine for home production too. The what hifi reviews are useful.

Superlux

Thanks

Thoughts on these: Sennheiser HD 206

Never heard them, but they look the same as HD 201, if they are anything like them, build quality is really lousy and they have anemic low end response and are quite mid forward, they expose sibilants and harshness really well, not fun for music making or casual music listening enjoyment, but good as another mixing reference.

Get "one odio studio headphones" they have a great frequency response a nice amount of bass and top end clarity they're not 100% flat but I love using them to make beats you can get them on sale for around 35 but they sound like $100 headphones easily

The hd201 was the default cheap headphones recommendation a few years back but think there's lots of competition now. Though music radar liked the 206s... https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/senn ... 206-review

GaryG wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm The hd201 was the default cheap headphones recommendation a few years back but think there's lots of competition now. Though music radar liked the 206s... https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/senn ... 206-review
I know, that's why I asked :D

K52 are some of the best around that price, IMO. I used them for ages before upgrading. Solid.

kvotchin wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:34 pm K52 are some of the best around that price, IMO. I used them for ages before upgrading. Solid.
How do they compare to the 206's?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”