Do the monitors even matter in an untreated room? Debating JBL 305P MkII vs PreSonus Eris 4.5 or 3.5

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone in the UK/Europe interested in a pair of JBL 305P MKII
Baxmusic is offering 5% off your order when you spend £200 or more with code KA621U
A pair of JBL 305P MKII £197.00 incl VAT or spend another £3 for free delivery/5% off.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 pm What about Mackie MR524?
https://mackie.com/products/mr-series-studio-monitors
JBL 305P MKII or Mackie MR524?
http://digitalstereophony.blogspot.com/ ... h-one.html
This is actually a really nice comp for the two. I've played on both. mackie are better near field, while JBL's do better at a distance. Mackie's biggest issue is they insist on surrounding their products with a digital shell, and the software often doesn't work.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:15 am Mackie's biggest issue is they insist on surrounding their products with a digital shell, and the software often doesn't work.
Care to elaborate?

The drivers on the mackie DAC's have a reputation for not working on windows. I've experienced this myself with an ONYX product. The PASSIVE mackies are a great comp for JBL's tho. MACKIES sound fantastic on their own, and JBL's tend to "throw" sound. When you comp the two's sound signature, they are pretty similar tho. made in similar ways, with similar parts.

This is good deal too, take less space and you can put them on desk easily, they sound phenomenal, these ones are hard to beat for music making and causal listening in smaller rooms or on the go, Bluetooth connection is awesome plus.

https://reverb.com/item/41246531-ik-mul ... tion-white

Timobkg wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:34 pm Okay, I think I get it now. It matters in as much as you still don't want junk or speakers that are too small, but there's no reason to go crazy on monitors. Stepping up from $50 3.5" monitors to $150 5" monitors is still worthwhile, while diminishing returns kick in after that.
No. Just no. Buy the Eris 3.5's, you will love them. I mixed and mastered our last album on them and every review has praised the production quality of it. To my ears they sound better than the Eris 4.5s I initially intended to buy and I'd rather use them than my previous studio monitors, which were Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8s. The 3.5s have clarity and detail that is amazing for the price and size. The bottom end, especially, is clear and well defined, even if it doesn't go down to 2Hz. They are also plenty loud enough.

The whole concept of nearfield monitors is to take the room out of the equation. The idea is to sit close enough to them that you aren't influenced by the room acoustics but even if you are sitting back away from them, good monitors still matter. Get the Eris 3.5s.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I've actually heard a lot of people say the same about the Iris's 3.5. They are probably a better comp for the Mackies as well, a matching pair of both would be pretty nice in my estimation. The JBL's used horns, while the mackies and Iris's use domes.

I've noticed the Eris 3.5 being very popular, I've also heard that bass should be cross referenced with headphones.
Anyway, always on the look out for bargains, Studio Monitor Speaker Floor Stand - MSK024 at Farnell UK (a pair for £34.80 UPS delivered)
Quantity Price +VAT
1+ £16.10 (£19.32)
2+ £14.50 (£17.40)
6+ £13.54 (£16.25)
https://cpc.farnell.com/qtx/msk024/moni ... dp/ST04097

Even on my JBL LSR305's, the bass is difficult. There's really not much going on below 50 Hz, if anything. I only can imagine how it is on smaller tweeters. Pretty sure the Eris won't do anything below 80 Hz.

Edit: Yep. Thomann also states their frequency range from 80 Hz to 20 kHz. That seems realistic.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:07 pm Even on my JBL LSR305's, the bass is difficult. There's really not much going on below 50 Hz, if anything. I only can imagine how it is on smaller tweeters. Pretty sure the Eris won't do anything below 80 Hz.
How much low end do you need without a sub?
Last edited by The Noodlist on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Good question. You have to be realistic, I guess. :) Otherwise, I'd say, as much as possible. I'm aware that you can't expect such small drivers to output low frequencies though.

The thing is, if the bottom end is OK at 70Hz, it's going to be OK at 20Hz, too. Look at any spectrum analysis - there are no steep drop-offs or sharp peaks in the bottom end, it's always much smoother than the top end, so if it looks OK in an analyser and it sounds OK through your speakers with limited bottom end, then 36 years of studio experience tells me it's going to be fine.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:13 am No. Just no. Buy the Eris 3.5's, you will love them. I mixed and mastered our last album on them and every review has praised the production quality of it. To my ears they sound better than the Eris 4.5s I initially intended to buy and I'd rather use them than my previous studio monitors, which were Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8s. The 3.5s have clarity and detail that is amazing for the price and size. The bottom end, especially, is clear and well defined, even if it doesn't go down to 2Hz. They are also plenty loud enough.

The whole concept of nearfield monitors is to take the room out of the equation. The idea is to sit close enough to them that you aren't influenced by the room acoustics but even if you are sitting back away from them, good monitors still matter. Get the Eris 3.5s.
Bah, where was this advice before I spent twice as much on the JBLs? :)

Oh well, it sounds like I'll have a great pair of monitors regardless.

Also interesting that you preferred the Eris 3.5s to the 4.5s - I read a blog review that praised the 3.5s but said that the 4.5s were even better and a worthwhile upgrade. I wonder if it's a subjective thing, or if people just assume that bigger is better or more bass is better.

Everything is highly subjective, not everyone is making same music and not everyone have same demands, it's no surprise that people got few pair of monitors on disposal, some are joy for music making, some are rather clinical for mixing, one needs to decide what works for him the most.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”