Is Serum worth cashing out for, when you get Vital for free?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Current Hive 2 Massive X RAPID Synthesizer Serum Vaporizer2 Vital VPS Avenger

I have Vital and it's absolutely amazing, I even ended up paying for it as I thought they deserved something for their work. I'm really into WT synths now, and I'm looking at Serum. It's pricey though, and I wonder what it has that Vital doesn't. I should note that I never really liked Massive much. Massive X is a lot more to my taste, I prefer Vital to it though :help:

If you like Vital, enjoy using it. And there's no harm buying Serum.
Because - and with all due respect - Vital is not Serum, each has its own character and set of limitations.

There's no such thing as:
Synth A sounds better than Synth B
Synth A vs. Synth B
or what's alternative to Synth XYZ

Doesn’t it have a trial option? I seem to recall it used to, anyway.

Personally, not a fan of Serum. Vital works better for my purposes. However, as far as other paid options go, maybe also try out Rapid. There is definitely a trial option for that.

Another thing to keep in mind though, with Serum and Rapid, is that in both cases, you technically can’t ever sell the license on. Only a dealbreaker for some people, but good to be aware of, regardless.

Serum by now is an old synth and if you have Vital and really want something else, then get something ELSE that isn't wavetable or at least is very different, e.g. Phaseplant. Or perhaps something FM based? Or a modular? Or a good emulation of analog synths, like Diva?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Bazille!!!
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Thanks for the replies, I'll try to respond to all of you here

First of all, thanks for directing me to the Rapid. I had no idea this synth even excisted, and if I would purchase one synth today based on the information I got from their website, I would purchase Rapid. I don't have time right now to download and try Rapid or Serum, I'm going away for the rest of the month so it has to wait until I get back. Rapid has a trial option and you can try Serum for free for three days. I just wanted to see if I could get some opinions on Serum

Secondly, yes, it's not about being better, it's about what is different. What makes Serum different? I find using different synths inspiring, and I come up with different music using different synths. I don't use one synth all the time, and I'm not looking for one to replace anything

I have a lot of synths, especially analog emulations, Arturia V Collection 8 and every synth Cherry Audio has released, Predator 2, just to mention a few, and one of my favourites these days is the FM synth Nemesis. Right now I'm hungry for more WT synths

YnJ wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:47 pm Secondly, yes, it's not about being better, it's about what is different. What makes Serum different? I find using different synths inspiring, and I come up with different music using different synths. I don't use one synth all the time, and I'm not looking for one to replace anything
Then you don't need to ask what makes Serum different. At least, to me, it sounds like it's obvious to you.

That made no sense to me at all

I noticed you enjoy trolling and derailing threads

nvmd
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

phreaque wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:24 pm
There's no such thing as:
Synth A sounds better than Synth B
Synth A vs. Synth B
or what's alternative to Synth XYZ
What ? :o

Sheer blasphemy !

Half of the posts on the KVR forum would not exist without A vs B, or X vs Y vs Z and all of the virtual fist fights that come out of that...

"My car is more expensive than yours" and "My Richard is bigger than yours" :wink:

"Look at how many synths I have bought,so I must be an expert and that makes me so much better than you"...

No mention of their creative and musical skills or the music that comes out of the tools that they use...

It's a human weakness that we're all guilty of in some ways and although there needs to be some consideration given to the tools that we employ,the real focus should always be on the actual music that we produce :tu:
No auto tune...

Personally, I love Phaseplant, though I don't love the price.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Serum has Serum FX.

Vital might get this too (fingers crossed), but at the moment doesn't... unless you put your stuff in the form of a sample into it.

Other than that, unless you really love the sound of Serum specifically, you're probably equally covered by Vital.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

chagzuki wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:58 pm Personally, I love Phaseplant, though I don't love the price.
I would also vouch for Phase Plant. Have Serum, tried Vital - lots of others. They pretty much do all the same. But the modulation options in Phase Plant are pretty fresh. For most tasks I however use Falcon. And yes, the Kilohearts ecosystem is a bit off-putting moneywise, because in order to use the whole bandwith you would have to go for the Ultimate Toolbox anyways.

Serum is great for some genres, but personally I didn't care for it that much. Either way, probably a good idea to get it on Splice through rent to own, so if you end up not using it as much as you expected you will not have wasted too much money.

I don't have it but I do think it's worth it for the number of presets out there alone.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”