Is Serum worth cashing out for, when you get Vital for free?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Current Hive 2 Massive X RAPID Synthesizer Serum Vaporizer2 Vital VPS Avenger

I think my favorite synth is Phase Plant
BUT
Since I bought Serum back in 2016 I have consistently used it in a wide variety of genres of music -

you are trying to compare a Free VST with a masterpiece of workflow, UI, sound quality and modulation possibility. Steve is constantly developing it, and responds well to customer enquiries.

An old saying that is true for virtually everything in life "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" ---

(to my mind) it is like asking :-

"Should I sell my Ferrari because Daihastsu just made a $4000 supercar? I hear its faster and better than Ferraris. "
Zen

Some words about Steve Duda: I had a problem with a patch and wrote to his support and few hours later he helps me. So also the support is very good and I will stay on rent-to-own until I have purchased it fully. If an update to version 2 comes out I am sure that I will buy it too.

The whole thread is about is Serum the money worth, and after testing Vital I can say:
yes yes yes otherwise I would have canceled my subscription immediately.
kobal wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:07 am
ckoe wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:33 pm If your synth engines sounds great then you don't must tinkering a long time around to get your patch sounds acceptable. The Synths with a good base sound only with a saw and a simple LP Filter are very rare. I have bought and tested so many synths and most of them sounds meh. I have tried so long to get some good sound out of all those softsynths. As a conclusion I only buy synths with good fundamental sound. Features like UVI Falcon have are nothing worth if the synth engine sounds boring, flat, thin, whatever you call it and 100 Layers of that poor engine makes it not better.

If you're happy with the choice, stick with it.
and what plugins synth other than serum you enjoy so far ?
I'm using also The Legend, MemoryMoon ME-80, OB-Xd, Mercury4, Padshop2 and Kontakt Samples
Dark Lights wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 pm
ckoe wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:01 pm https://youtube.com/watch?v=9ew4UmJG6lQ
I have made the blind test right now too and I heard the great Serum Deadmau5 sound in a millisecond on Synth A, synth B is missing a lot of character harmonics.
So Vital is cleaner then? That is good.
In terms of filter character and fx, yes Vital sounds clean and boring to me. Sometimes this is exactly you wanna use. If the filters and fx sounds on the same level Serum does, then Vital where my first choice synth, but it does not. So this synth has nothing really common with Serum, expect its a wavetable synth and the living GUI modulations visuals.

On subtractive synthesis the sound of the filters are an essential part. Vital has so many good concepts but unfortunately on filters and fx it is not really good to my ears. Maybe for someone else sound Vital better than serum, then Vital is the best choice, for me it is not.

ckoe wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 am If an update to version 2 comes out I am sure that I will buy it too.
It will be free, pal.

AnX wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:06 pm New technology... :lol: :lol: :lol:
All these anonymous accounts like this ANX whatever,let themself to troll my posts many times,so i am really interested who sit behind such anonymity?
I am taking my work seriously and accept such behavior personally and think everybody who work hard do it.
Is it amateur designer or low life competitor?
You claim you are dealing 40 years with sound design,you are probably most unknown sound designer in the world,cause i've never heard about such brand/person?
Where can we hear your work and compare it to my 'Nonlinar Dynamics' not technology,40 years of experience,this should be epic, much better than ordinary stuff i do and delude people it's new technology/system whatever,let people hear what you do?
I log in kvr to read so interesting news or to create such,why people like you log in here is total mystery to me,but judging by you posts and behavior you probably feel very important when trolling or may have another reason ...
If you think your and 4-5 fellow trolls you have here could change anything and stop 'Nonlinear dynamics' as term and use,watch me...
I wouldn't bother people with something upcoming I don't sell yet,pointlessly so many times,but you trolls do nice job in that department...
Last edited by VELLTONE MUSIC on Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:15 am
All these anonymous accounts like this ANX whatever,let themself to troll my posts many times,so i am really interested who sit behind such anonymity?
I am taking my work seriously and accept such behavior personally and think everybody who work hard do it.
Is it amateur designer or low life competitor?
You claim you are dealing 40 years with sound design,you are probably most unknown sound designer in the world,cause i've heard about such brand/person?
Where can we hear your work and compare it to my 'Nonlinar Dynamics' not technology,40 years of experience,this should be epic, much better than ordinary stuff i do and delude people it's new technology/system whatever,let people hear what you do?
I log in kvr to read so interesting news or to create such,why people like you log in here is total mystery to me,but judging by you posts and behavior you probably feel very important when trolling or may have another reason ...
If you think your and 4-5 fellow trolls you have here could change anything and stop 'Nonlinear dynamics' as term and use,watch me...
I wouldn't bother people with something upcoming I don't sell yet,pointlessly so many times,but you trolls do nice job in that department...
Just describe your "new technology", please.

You claim you are dealing 40 years with sound design,you are probably most unknown sound designer in the world,cause i've heard about such brand/person?
So you need to be famous to have 40 years experience?

I've never heard of you, but I know bullshit when I hear it :wink:

Fraggle wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:44 am "Should I sell my Ferrari because Daihastsu just made a $4000 supercar? I hear its faster and better than Ferraris. "
At least you can factually measure that (faster, that is)... unlike in synthesizers, or instruments in general.

Spring Goose wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm
ckoe wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:37 am If an update to version 2 comes out I am sure that I will buy it too.
It will be free, pal.
when?

kobal wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:40 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm
It will be free, pal.
when?
Not yet, when it's finished! I just seen on Xfer forum Steve Duda doesn't charge for updates. I wouldn't expect it soon.

AnX wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:55 am
So you need to be famous to have 40 years experience?

I've never heard of you, but I know bullshit when I hear it :wink:
Is it really so interesting spreading bulsht about anything you think it's blsht?
My last post was very angry,i'm sorry but your attitude is so annoying.
Let's try something positive which people will benefit from - do some preset with Vital,leave mod matrix slots free and i'll show you how it works,uploading upgraded with 'Nonlinear dynamic modulation' version of same preset so people to decide.
Sorry but if your 40 years of sound design are just turning same knobs again and again,there is people like me who works different way.
Next year,which is after 2 day,let's do it...

Look fwd to your emperors new presets :tu:

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:45 pm 'Nonlinear dynamic modulation'
Does it melt brains?

as expected,just talking,no action,no fun..:):):)Cheers to you guys,happy new year preliminary,no bad feelings from me :):):)
Life is too short to waste it with negative thoughts and emotions :):):)
Cheers :)

I thought you were the one making these advance tech presets for everyone to see in a few days?

What action should we be taking?

flori89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 am
electro4sale wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:15 pm Serum was the first vst I bought after taking a 15 year break from music. Great purchase. I just found out about Vital a few months ago but hardly used it yet.
I'm eyeing Serum, but so far I fail to see what it does better then Vital. Aren't they pretty much the same? There are much more presets for Serum available floating around, but apart from that, what's the difference?
damn sorry about the super late response on this. yeah i'd say they are about the same tbh. serum does have a lot of presets available though.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”