What are your favorite tools for mixing vocals?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know Melodyne and CLA vocals tend to be major ones, but is there anything else?

Xfer OTT, not joking.

EQ, saturation, compression, delay and reverb. Most mix effects, really...

imrae wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:06 am EQ, saturation, compression, delay and reverb. Most mix effects, really...

Yeah pretty much.

DD Channel 2 from Dead Duck ( or any SSL )
Ivg2 from Klanghelm
Kotelnikov from TDR
Valhalla Room
Replica delay.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Harrison Vocal Flow

Izotope Nectar Breath Control (because there's nothing ruins a song more than compression amplifying quiet breathing to dirty pervert levels.... :scared: )

TDR Nova GE to de-resonate and even out my frankly piss-poor mic technique.

Klanghelm DC8B compressor - high ratio to really tame peaks

TB Ferox - for more gentle tape style compression (always like to use 2 compressors - spread the load etc..)

TB Sibilance de-esser or Air windows de-esser

Just a teeny bit of slap-back delay to add depth, not much

Reverb - depends on the song which one, but always roll off the reverb before 500hz, and pre-delay of 50ms and upwards.

Tend to also use a lot of spot effects for harmonies/fairy dust etc on duplicate tracks to make things easier- Delays, MUnison, lofi stuff (distortion etc, RC20), chorus, all kinds of stuff.. :hihi:

Lots and lots of automation...

I use either iZotope's free Vocal Doubler or WA Production's $29 Vocal Splitter to double the vocals and give them some width. From there it's just a bit of EQ, compression, saturation/distortion (if artistically required) and reverb/delay. If you've got a good mix, it's usually pretty easy and a lot of the decisions around it are artistic, not technical.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I don't think there are any specific tools that I use for processing vocals. Maybe Little Plate gets used more on vocals than anything else. I don't like auto-tuning vocals.

I always experiment with all the effects I have. Well, I don't have a favorite right now but you should try experimenting too and find your "own" sound, if that makes sense. Even the stock effects sometimes makes a big difference.

The basics are any E.Q, starting by high passing all the bass I don't need, then the 670 T-Racks plugin with the 'Vocal' preset (threshold adjusted to taste), followed by the BBE Sonic Maximizer plugin with just a tiny touch of the high end dial (I think it's called process). That's the bread and butter stuff that I do every time. Then I send that to another track where I apply reverb or delay (at 100%)... or sometimes reverb and delay!
Oh and I quite often put autotune on a send followed by a thick chorus, then blend it in so that it's pretty quiet, just for thickening effect. :tu:

Usually a FET style compressor, saturation and any EQ.

UAD API channel strip, struder A800 then Fabfilyer plug-ins to further eq and compress if needed. fabfilter reverb on the bus.

IK TR5 EQ-73 (MIC)
IK TR5 Black 76 (fast attack)
IK TR5 White 2A (COMPRESS)
IK TR5 Tape Machine 80 (456, 15 ips)
IK TR5 British Channel
Eventide H910 or H949
Relab LX480

This recreates a very typical tried-and-true classic vocal chain, starting with a high quality preamp (Neve 1073) into an 1176 to smooth out transients before compressing with an LA-2A, and printing to tape (Studer A80). From tape it goes to an SSL SL-4000 mixer channel to one or more Eventide harmonizers and a Lexicon 480L reverb aux buss.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Easy...EQ and Compressor. You had to ask this? For mixing right? Yes...these two. Now...for effects...that's a different question. Maybe you should post that question.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really consider Melodyne a tool for "mixing" vocals, except arguably when I adjust amplitude of some notes to balance them out, or reduce sibilant sounds or plosives. Regardless, the plugins I use most often for vocals include Fabfilter Pro-DS, Pro-G, Pro-C, and Pro-Q (still dying for a FF channel strip!), Waves RenChannel (often on the vocals or BG vocals submix buss), Waves LA-2a when I want in-your-face-ness. EchoBoy is my go-to delay for vocals, and Valhalla Room, Plate, and VVV are my go-tos for vocal reverb sends and inserts.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”