What's the easiest DAW to learn for someone new to music software?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
KVRAF
3426 posts since 3 Oct, 2013 from Budapest

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:57 am

Passing Bye has censored it :D
Last edited by xbitz on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

KVRist
50 posts since 27 Sep, 2021

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:01 pm

If you asked me this question 15 years ago, I would've said FL, but the new FL 20 is a real pain in the arse. I've had to fork out money on udemy on a course, just to get to grips with it all again (which I've yet to sit down and even start, procrastination being what it is!). I make warm, lo-fi, sample-based Hip Hop, so it's not like Trap music, which is as easy as shelling peas.

Taken into account holistically -- and what Hip Hop actually is -- a lot of the elements in FL just aren't Hip Hop friendly (despite the developers arguing the opposite). Luckily there are plenty of third party plugins one can use in FL, such as Decimort 2, serato sample etc. Which help to weed out a lot of the painstaking processes inherent to FL. But yeh. Don't start with FL! And if you do, you better be prepared to do some serious studying.

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:11 pm

KVRist
50 posts since 27 Sep, 2021

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Was that in reference to my post? If so, awesome! and Thanks. Now I essentially have two courses :))

KVRAF
2996 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm

Anyone actually bothered to read the opening line, thread isn't about your favorite DAW, it's about girl who can play an instrument and sing and wants to try to get into world of composing in DAW, probably knows how to read/write scores, probably have degree from music school, so she most likely doesn't really need DAW to hack music theory with or will make hip hop beats.

KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:51 pm

Another option is https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html and adding extra weight to the learning section and to the needed ones

KVRAF
7244 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:58 pm

Passing Bye wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm
Anyone actually bothered to read the opening line, thread isn't about your favorite DAW, it's about girl who can play an instrument and sing and wants to try to get into world of composing in DAW, probably knows how to read/write scores, probably have degree from music school, so she most likely doesn't really need DAW to hack music theory with or will make hip hop beats.
+1 (although, that won't change the fact that this thread will soon be 20 pages long and every DAW on the planet will have been mentioned at least once).

I'll expand on my first reply and why I recommend GarageBand:
- it's free, so no risk if she doesn't like it
- it has a score editor (although many of us who do read/write notation end up working mostly in the piano roll anyway)
- it's dead easy to use (so easy that an adult can learn it :P ), and there's no shortage of free tutorials around for it
- it's highly stable
- it includes everything she would need to get started
- OP/parent uses Logic, so he/she is probably already capable of helping her learn the much simpler GB and make it easy to transition to Logic in the future
- since the OP/parent already owns a Logic license, she can probably install Logic on her computer if/when she's ready to make that jump (if she's under the same Apple ID).

KVRAF
2172 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Lancaster, UK

Post Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:45 pm

If scoring can be omitted, then I'd say MuLab. In fact, when I asked for a free first DAW for my students, I was given MuLab as advice, and I've been suing it (the paid version) ever since. I think MuLab is the only DAW (I might be wrong though) where you see all the synths and fx as racks, below the composer view. So as long as she's doing normal MIDI work, then MuLab Free would be great.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

KVRist
94 posts since 7 Feb, 2021

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:31 am

Some excellent points made above but rather than repeat if I could recommend Korg’s Gadget on IOS.

It’s clearly laid out, covers a lot of arrangement but not too deep and lots of interesting instruments to start off. I still play with it. And if it’s on iPad then it’s easy to dip in and out on the go.

KVRist
431 posts since 22 May, 2009 from Portugal,Azores (faial island)

Post Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:58 am

Synapse Audio Orion ;)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

KVRer
9 posts since 19 Jan, 2021 from United Kingdom

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:04 am

I love how easy Ableton was to get into. I felt like just spending time messing around was the best way to learn it. You can't go too wrong following tutorials and walkthroughs on YouTube, but remember you have to find your own process and workflows that result in the sounds that are unique to you. Only through playing around will you get there.

KVRer
8 posts since 16 Feb, 2021

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 am

Maybe MPC or Live

KVRAF
6547 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Best to point her to demo and entry level DAWs and let her gravitate to what she feels is best to her. Anything else generally causes issues. Assuming she is a friend that you want to remain friends with, your role is to suggest everything and support her personal journey. Offering only insights from your experience as it currently relates to what she finds.

KVRAF
2996 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:03 am

Every DAW can be learned, especially following a good tutorial, you can find out in few years what you like messing around and switching DAW's, think that's pretty much the road that is destined to anyone that don't know somebody who can spare them at least few headaches along the way.

I taught quite a few people to use different DAW's and actually help them find the ones that could fit them the most, based on their musical preference, skills and aspiration... and they pretty much landed on different things, even if they made similar music, some of them didn't want to play an instrument, so found one that had most sense to be used with mouse, others that were into recording found one that had the best workflow for that and etc.

Things get little narrower when you decide about some aspects, if your aspiration as someone who plays an piano and sing is to get into composing/scoring game, you pretty much are safe to land on most used ones in those circles, like Cubase or Logic, there ain't going to be much surprises down the line, their features are tailored to cater to that crowd and ultimately those will be the most important features to you down the line too.

KVRist
359 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:07 am

Ableton. Easy to learn, powerful, and there arehuge learning resources freely available on youtube.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”