What's the easiest DAW to learn for someone new to music software?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Passing Bye
KVRAF
3001 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:12 am

Like any other famous DAW...

iiinnaJ
KVRer
2 posts since 2 Oct, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:33 am

I found Ableton Live very straightforward back in the day, but it seems like every time I show it to my friends they can't wrap their head around it the way I felt I did.

hoxclab
Banned
393 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:56 pm

FL Studio since there are tons of tutorials.

WE222333
KVRer
1 posts since 24 May, 2017

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 am

Mixcraft is the easiest DAW I've come across yet.

k2006
KVRist
163 posts since 18 Jan, 2014

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:19 am

instead of full fledged Daw it will be easier to start with free midi editors like "Aria Maestosa"https://ariamaestosa.github.io/ariamaes ... nload.html.for Daw Mulab 7 free version allows 4 tracks with vst support.

3lu5iv3
KVRist
351 posts since 24 Sep, 2016

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:56 am

https://www.bandlab.com/ desktop version is pretty easy IMO.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

JamelaBanderson
KVRist
31 posts since 16 Mar, 2021

Post Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:29 am

The easiest will be the ones with lots of tutorial videos: probably Ableton Live, FL Studio, Logic.
I strongly advise watching beginner videos of each to see which is right for you.
(For the record, I use Ableton and can only compare it to Bitwig, Traktion, and Ampify.)

a7564851
KVRer
2 posts since 12 Oct, 2021

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:55 am

For me, I'll think its Studio One.
Ready easy to learn with.

Passing Bye
KVRAF

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Easiest DAW for your own personal needs is my favorite DAW that doesn't resemble any of that, watch tutorials, good luck, what an thread...

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
12586 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:37 pm

But the thing is, most of us have been there at one time or another and it is very likely that our favourite DAW is one we thought was easy enough to get into that we persevered with it. That makes the question and all the responses entirely valid, don't you think?

My own experience, moving from Orion to Bitwig and then Cubase, before settling on Studio One, gives me a really good perspective, I think. I found Bitwig hard enough to get into that I ended up reselling my license after a few months of not being able to get much done in it. With Cubase, the excellent range of YouTube tutorials made it a lot easier than I thought it would be to learn my way around it. Later, what prompted me to move to Studio One was partly that it's not too different from Cubase but also because Presonus's range of short and longer video tutorials allowed me to get deeper into it than I had with Cubase, in no time at all. Gregor might be a bit creepy but the videos he presents are mostly excellent. So between Bitwig, Cubase and Studio One, I'd definitely say Studio One is going to be the easiest to learn. How it compares to Live or FL or anything else is not something I can comment on, although when I flirted with the idea of maybe buying an FL license, my brief play with the demo made it seem like it was going to be really hard to learn in any depth, even though I had used it many years previously.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

Passing Bye
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:08 pm

I didn't recommend my favorite DAW, I don't think the DAW I recommended was easier to get into than one that I use now, but I could get fairly easy into any DAW these days (and actually did tried most of them) and anyone without any experience could get into any DAW watching few good tutorials... on top of that I helped plenty of people to find their DAW's in real world, so my motives are pretty much the same, to actually help them find the DAW that will work for them on the long run.

I stayed with my DAW because my DAW works for me, my personal way of working, you didn't stayed with my DAW because it didn't worked for you, I use Bitwig.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
12586 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Me either. Orion remains my favourite by a long way, it's just no longer a viable option and I'd never recommend it to anyone. Studio One is just the one I've ended up with but I ended up there for a reason. And you're right about Bitwig, it is absolutely not for me or the way I like to work which, I think, is why I struggled to find any decent video tutorials for it - they weren't answering the questions I had about using it.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

kaiservonarctic
KVRer
9 posts since 26 Oct, 2021

Post Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:03 am

I've been experimenting for the last year or so and bounced between most (but not all) of the major DAWs in that time. In my opinion, nothing is as user-friendly as Garageband. With no training at all, you can start making songs with Apple Loops alone to learn the workflow until you're ready to play your own. The functionality has started to feel limiting as I've progressed, and I do feel that is by design to move users toward Logic, but getting moved to Logic is by no means necessarily a bad thing. The main limitation is that it is Apple-only. Ableton would be my pick for a non-Mac or multi-OS user.

youwen
KVRer
6 posts since 6 Sep, 2021

Post Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 am

I’ve been playing with Ableton live lite. It comes packaged with some midi controllers/audio interfaces. But before that GarageBand is free

R3tl4w
KVRer
3 posts since 11 Nov, 2021 from Germany

Post Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:41 pm

From my perspective, as complete beginner, Ableton was the perfect choice. Easy to learn, packed with potential features even in lite/intro and there were hundred of free tutorials on youtube.
I would absolutely recommend it

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”