What's the easiest DAW to learn for someone new to music software?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Multitrack Studio. Been around forever. Almost never mentioned, though IMO extremely underrated.
Maybe because it's too straightforward and streamlined compared to other DAWS....?

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/index.php

(There's a FREE lite version).

WE222333 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:59 am Mixcraft is the easiest DAW I've come across yet.
And (GarageBand notwithstanding) second place isn't even close. It's a full-featured DAW and very intuitive. No-brainer IMO.

+1 for GarageBand

I find Ableton Live pretty good for beginners. Also, there is a large community making tutorials for it on YouTube. In order to consolidate the knowledge better, I would recommend picking up a good course on Udemy for 10$ (they are always doing sales).

However, I think the license for the Standard is kind of expensive for someone that is a hobbyist but needs more than the 16 tracks Intro allows.

I'm a beginner myself, and recently graduated from Garage Band to Logic. For Mac users there are some big benefits to going this route:
1) GB is free, so if you don't get on with it, you haven't lost any cash.
2) GB is relatively uncomplicated, so it is fairly easy to learn. Its UI is designed with beginners in mind, so you can have a lot of fun with it with relatively little effort. I know I did!
3) At the same time, GB has surprising depth. It can host plugins, so you can get a lot out of it without the need to spend out on anything better.
4) The time invested in GB isn't wasted when you move up to Logic, as GB really is just a cut down version of Logic. Logic is professional grade software, so your time with GB is great training. Everything you create in GB can be imported into Logic.
5) Logic is a very reasonably priced piece of software for what it is, so the upgrade path isn't too painful.
6) Both GB and Logic are very popular, so there are lots of tutorials etc. available, both paid and free. There is also a _huge_ community of users to share ideas with.

I'm still getting to grips with Logic. It's very comprehensive, and I'm somewhat out of my depth. Even so, I'm getting results with it because of the work I did with GB.

Reaper is the easiest less annoying daw, but that's my opinion

For a singer songwriter, Garageband > Logic on a Mac. Cubase elements on a PC

Auplant wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 am Reaper is the easiest less annoying daw, but that's my opinion
yes it is
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

If she has a Mac or iPad, like already mentioned multiple times: GarageBand

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

I'm gonna vote for Reaper, it's the easiest at least for me :)

EINZO wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:46 am I'm gonna vote for Reaper, it's the easiest at least for me :)

:lol: no

Reaper is easiest for me too. It's a linear DAW. Track is a track, whether MIDI or audio, you just put instruments and/or fx on it. What's not easy is some default settings are unintuitive and may need to be changed.

GarageBand.

I've tested latest Ableton Live, Cubase, FL Studio, Cakewalk, Reaper, but the most intuitive for me were: BitWig and Logic Pro (and GarageBand).

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”