Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unaspected wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:10 pm Absolutely. I wrote that in consideration of the full build.
Very off topic: I wonder what uses the most power - a (modern) music PC that you use a couple times a week (for a few hours) or a coffee machine 3x daily... :phones:

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm Very much agreed. A good case with the right fans and heatsinks wherever possible will be the most silent solution - along with keeping the power draw low.
The power draw of cooling fans is negligible compared to any other part in a PC.
:-?

Keeping the power draw low is to generate less heat which keeps PWM fan speed low and thus less fan noise.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:11 pm
T-CM11 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:47 pm Very much agreed. A good case with the right fans and heatsinks wherever possible will be the most silent solution - along with keeping the power draw low.
The power draw of cooling fans is negligible compared to any other part in a PC.
:-?

Keeping the power draw low is to generate less heat which keeps PWM fan speed low and thus less fan noise.
This.

Simply a logical statement.

I just jumped into the saddle after 10 years of hiatus and was blown away of how much my Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCSI
with 16GB ram could handle.

So far I have never been able to make a project that push it further than 20% CPU usage, and if needed I can always resample or OC the CPU. It is hard to imagine that I ever will need more.
Maybe only if i go all out Hans Zimmer with full orchestral plugins or start to rewire stuff.
----------------
VST newbie and KVR-VST groupie
----------------

For warm and punchy sound. https://www.sequential.com/product/prophet-6/
Vintage with a Modern Twist
The Prophet-6 is Dave Smith’s tribute to the poly synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But it’s not simply a reissue of a classic. Rather, as Dave puts it, “It’s the result of our effort to build the most awesome-sounding, modern analog poly synth possible.” The Prophet-6 takes the best qualities of the original Prophet-5—true voltage-controlled oscillators, filters, and amplifiers—and adds enhancements such as studio-quality effects, a polyphonic step sequencer, an arpeggiator, and more. The result is pure, unadulterated analog tone with the stability and reliability of a state-of-the-art modern synth.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I don’t think you understood the question.

araviel wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:30 am I just jumped into the saddle after 10 years of hiatus and was blown away of how much my Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
NVMe Samsung SSD 970 SCSI
with 16GB ram could handle.

So far I have never been able to make a project that push it further than 20% CPU usage, and if needed I can always resample or OC the CPU. It is hard to imagine that I ever will need more.
Maybe only if i go all out Hans Zimmer with full orchestral plugins or start to rewire stuff.
Your hiatus is showing. :D

I can think of enough plugins that CAN push your new CPU to the limit.
(among the ones that I have myself: Pigments, Kaivo, Matrix 12 V)

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:40 am I don’t think you understood the question.
The question "Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?" is illogical. :dog:

A PC does not make the sound. A sound generator does that. And besides that, "warm and punchy" is strictly a subjective characteristic.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:15 pm
jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:40 am I don’t think you understood the question.
The question "Which PC for a warm and punchy sound?" is illogical. :dog:

A PC does not make the sound. A sound generator does that. And besides that, "warm and punchy" is strictly a subjective characteristic.
Sarcasm. :tu:

A reference to endless number of "warm and punchy plugin" threads, which lead to nowhere.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Besides, the right answer to “a warm and punchy sound” is a Marshall JCM, not a Prophet 6.

Just because it goes to "11" does not guarantee "warm and punchy". Loud maybe... :wink:

These days I don't think I'd get anything but SSDs. Price for SSD storage has just gotten insane. That being said, I did see a 14TB external WD USB drive the other day for $200. Really tempting, until I realized most of the stuff I'd want to keep on it I would want quick access to. Perhaps loading stuff up in your DAW's cache would be fine though?

Is that site down? Bombs me with security checks...

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:36 pm
Is that site down? Bombs me with security checks...
Same… :?

Ssd is a must, get 1 TB or more. 16 GB memory minimum, 32 GB if you want to be more comfortable.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”