New Product : Guiro/Woodblock

Official support for: samplesquad.com
Shane Sanders
KVRAF
4065 posts since 10 Oct, 2002 from Nashville, TN USA

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Introducing the Guiro/Woodblock sample pack from Sample Squad.

This hand-carved Southeast Asian instrument can sound like a traditional woodblock or like a croaking frog. The set contains 33 one-shot samples in total. Ten of them are soft woodblock hits, ten are average velocity woodblock hits, three are hard strikes, and the remaining ten are full performance strokes emulating frog croaks at various speeds (achieved via the ridges on the top of the frog's back using the small wooden mallet you see in the mouth of the frog).

With this pack you can emulate guiro playing at any speed you want in a convincing manner. Just load up the one-shots in order and do ascending and descending patterns in your sequencer.

As you can hear in the demo on the site, the samples pitch shift very well into ominous low tones that have some similarity to tongue drums.

Available in the following formats: Mono Wav @ 32bit 44.1KHz.
Price: $1.49 US. Yep, less than a buck fifty. :D

xybre
KVRAF
1755 posts since 19 May, 2006 from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:57 am

I'll be buying some of your samples in a few minutes, but I wanted to say your demo tracks are just amazing.

Aloysius
KVRAF
24990 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:01 am

I'll be checking out your site too. This looks like something I can actually afford without having to save up for once :)
Hi-de-Hi!

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:37 am

Awesome! Thanks for the patronage.

xybre
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:18 am

I bought one pack to test it out, if I like it I'll probably buy the rest too :D

*waits for email*

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:20 pm

xybre wrote:I bought one pack to test it out, if I like it I'll probably buy the rest too :D

*waits for email*
Howdy. Your link was sent at 11:45 am Central Standard Time today. If you still don't have it, please check your spam folders and let me know if it's still not there and we'll figure something out. I checked and nothing has bounced back, so I hope the samples are in your hands by now. Thanks! :-)

xybre
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Shane Sanders wrote: Howdy. Your link was sent at 11:45 am Central Standard Time today. If you still don't have it, please check your spam folders and let me know if it's still not there and we'll figure something out. I checked and nothing has bounced back, so I hope the samples are in your hands by now. Thanks! :-)
Didn't mean to turn this into a support forum :D
Turns out the email Paypal gives you is not my main address (the one I used to log in) which is odd. I'll check the samples out asap!

-x

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:23 pm

xybre wrote:
Shane Sanders wrote: Howdy. Your link was sent at 11:45 am Central Standard Time today. If you still don't have it, please check your spam folders and let me know if it's still not there and we'll figure something out. I checked and nothing has bounced back, so I hope the samples are in your hands by now. Thanks! :-)
Didn't mean to turn this into a support forum :D
Turns out the email Paypal gives you is not my main address (the one I used to log in) which is odd. I'll check the samples out asap!

-x
Rock and roll. But, ya know, this IS the support forum for Sample Squad, so it's totally cool! Glad you have the product in hand now. :D

Aloysius
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Do you have Kontakt 3 or Battery 3 Script type thingies for these sets? If not, do you have any tips on putting same together? I've never needed to map my own samples before. I know these packs are cheap but I don't want to be spending a lot of time ham-fistedly trying to make the best of my own 'skills' at doing that! It would be better for me to pay more for a mapped set than stress myself out trying to piece it all together!
Hi-de-Hi!

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Aloysius wrote:Do you have Kontakt 3 or Battery 3 Script type thingies for these sets? If not, do you have any tips on putting same together? I've never needed to map my own samples before. I know these packs are cheap but I don't want to be spending a lot of time ham-fistedly trying to make the best of my own 'skills' at doing that! It would be better for me to pay more for a mapped set than stress myself out trying to piece it all together!
I'm pretty sure I have a Battery 3 mapping for Guiro and for Mech. Which set(s) did you buy?

Aloysius
KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:38 pm

Hi Shane! Thanks for the reply! I have not as yet purchased any of the sets. At the moment, I am just checking the lay of the land to see if it will be worth my while getting some in the future. Cheers . . .
Hi-de-Hi!

xybre
KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:39 pm

Shane Sanders wrote: Rock and roll. But, ya know, this IS the support forum for Sample Squad, so it's totally cool! Glad you have the product in hand now. :D
Yeah I think I meant something about since this was an anncouncement thread but anyway...

Thanks! I really liked it and picked up the rest of your samples.
I also mentioned your site to a couple of friends, maybe they'll grab some samples too. :)

I checked out the samples and I want to see what all I can do with them. I especially liked the psyops and mech packs, it was interesting listening and figuring out what some of the samples were.

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm

xybre wrote:
Shane Sanders wrote: Rock and roll. But, ya know, this IS the support forum for Sample Squad, so it's totally cool! Glad you have the product in hand now. :D
Yeah I think I meant something about since this was an anncouncement thread but anyway...

Thanks! I really liked it and picked up the rest of your samples.
I also mentioned your site to a couple of friends, maybe they'll grab some samples too. :)

I checked out the samples and I want to see what all I can do with them. I especially liked the psyops and mech packs, it was interesting listening and figuring out what some of the samples were.
Thanks for helping get the word out. I have never really bothered with much promotion, so every little bit helps.

I think a lot can be done with Psyops & Mech. I just used a few samples from each pack to add some spice to a groove made with the more traditional Sample Squad instruments. It sounds cool to have the old stuff mixed with glitchy stuff:

https://www.box.net/shared/static/5hm5d04nv3.mp3

D.H. Miltz
D.H. MOD
12239 posts since 21 Jun, 2008

Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 pm

I just wanted to belatedly thank you for this. I downloaded it during the free period and meant to comment then, but I forgot. So, thanks. I like it.

And it got me to your site, where I bought the Pakistani frame drum, which I really like. I'll be buying more soon.

And a suggestion: on the website, consider putting the file size with the sample set information. I mention it just because I'm on a dial-up and knowing the download size before I start downloading helps me figure out what I might try to get when. Certainly not crucial, but helpful to me anyway.

Thanks again.

Shane Sanders
KVRAF

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 pm

D.H. Miltz wrote:I just wanted to belatedly thank you for this. I downloaded it during the free period and meant to comment then, but I forgot. So, thanks. I like it.

And it got me to your site, where I bought the Pakistani frame drum, which I really like. I'll be buying more soon.

And a suggestion: on the website, consider putting the file size with the sample set information. I mention it just because I'm on a dial-up and knowing the download size before I start downloading helps me figure out what I might try to get when. Certainly not crucial, but helpful to me anyway.

Thanks again.
Sorry for the slow reply. I agree with you about the extra info on the download size. I'll put that on my list.

Thanks!

Return to “Sample Squad”