Cerebrum 3.0 discussion

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I plan to upgrade cerebrum soon to version 3.0, but in the meantime, I still have a few more versions left in 2x. So I'll try to make as many minor updates as possible during this conversion, trying not to affect backward compatability too much, and save the really significant changes for v3.0. Keep in mind, v3.0 will be a totaly different instrument quite different from 2x, which will still be available as part of the pack, and can be used alongside v3.

If you have any ideas, feature requests, or anything you'd like to see during the conversion to v3.0 and after, this is the thread to post it in.
I'll do my best to incorporate what I can where possible.

Here are a few ideas I have for v3.0:
  • -a redesign of how the sequencers work:
    I'm thinking of having 4 or 5 sequencers that can be assigned to any drum, rather than the current setup which has the drums attatched to it's own sequencer.

-more drums; each would be assignable to any of the given sequencers.

-one or two modules with built in sounds

-a more advanced bassline synth

-accents under each step for sustained notes

-a totally different way of doing velocity. Instead of having 4 different sequencers in multi-page format to modulate the pitch, volume, filter etc., velocity can be assignable, perhaps using only two modulation sequencers; this will save alot of cpu, but at the cost of possibilities. Personally, I rarely modulate all of these parameters...my favorites are pitch, decay and filter, but some things such as a dedicated sequencer for the distortion of the kick drum is just unecessary.

-what do you think about the external audio processing? Should I carry this over to v3 or leave it as exclusive to v2x?
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How about to have the option to load SF2 or WAV files into each module?

mahtazz wrote:How about to have the option to load SF2 or WAV files into each module?
Well, that would be cool, but that's what Cortex is for, although I have considered giving Cerebrum some imbedded drum sounds.
What about an extra module that loads from a list of embedded drum sounds like percussion, toms, and other traditional drum sounds that currently arent included with Cerebrum? If I go about doing this, I might as well make an option in that module to load user wavs, so Cerebrum could have the option, but Cortex will still be the main drum sampler for loading multiple wavs (Cortex update coming soon by the way...)

Jack R wrote:
... although I have considered giving Cerebrum some imbedded drum sounds.
What about an extra module that loads from a list of embedded drum sounds like percussion, toms, and other traditional drum sounds that currently arent included with Cerebrum?
Those enhancement would be great for me!

Jack R wrote:although I have considered giving Cerebrum some imbedded drum sounds.
What about an extra module that loads from a list of embedded drum sounds like percussion, toms, and other traditional drum sounds that currently arent included with Cerebrum?
That would be interesting, maybe add a few ethnic sample sounds? I don't know what else you can really add to Cerebrum because it's already pretty dandy.
I agree to save the samples for Cortex. Not messing with perfection is sometimes a good thing.

Ethnic percussion sounds like a great idea, I'll see what I can do.

Okay, I added a few ideas to my initial post, let me know what you think.

Nice new features. I need it ;)

Here's an early beta screenshot:
Still needs alot of work, but this will show you the direction it's headed toward. I'd say this is about 50% complete.

I'll post an updated screenshot soon.

Oh, and the seq slider positions can now be simply dragged with the mouse all the way accross, no more tedious single slider movements. :D
Thanks to David Haupt for that!

Wow, Jack. It's impressing me :shock:

very nice Jack. any eta yet? :o

VeXKoN wrote:very nice Jack. any eta yet? :o
Soon!
Possibly late oct/early nov.
I've been totally wrapped up with the DC contest plugin, but submissions are on the 30th, so in a few days I'll be getting back to work on C3. There's been several changes since my last post, I'll put up a new screenshot with details shortly...

I would love to see an option to switch with keyboard keys between patterns (the whole grid or just single lines). more advances randomisation than in v2 would be also a great plus (ie intelligent rhythmic variations). btw, the new gui looks great!

oh, and please add toms and crashes. ideally, make this beast feedable with standard midi drum files (both for internal pattern import and playback of cerebrum in the sequencer with the shots option enabled and mapped to gm standard). also, 32 steps would be nicer. what would stop cerebrum then to become the killer drum synth?

cheers, akj

AKJ wrote:I would love to see an option to switch with keyboard keys between patterns (the whole grid or just single lines). more advances randomisation than in v2 would be also a great plus (ie intelligent rhythmic variations).
Dont know how possible it would be to trigger patterns, but there will be some kind of intelligent sequence variation similar to cubix, but rather than mixing, it would be timed switching from one seq to another. This is just an idea for now, I'm not sure how it will be implemented yet.
oh, and please add toms and crashes.
C3 will be a hybrid drumsynth that also has several built-in sounds, so toms/crashes will be there.
ideally, make this beast feedable with standard midi drum files (both for internal pattern import and playback of cerebrum in the sequencer with the shots option enabled and mapped to gm standard).
With the ability to set key triggering and select which note, playing MIDI files should be no problem. The bass section will also have the ability to select keyboard range, ie-full/lower/upper, so it wont always get in the way when playing drums via MIDI.

Thanks for your input :)

Return to “Psychic Modulation”